Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 01:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
She says there is a LOT of section 8 in the area and the schools are a mix of those who are very wealthy and those living in extreme poverty. She say you always have to watch yourself when you are out and about. She also said that Lakeview was fabulous. She did offer to refer me to an agent in her company who specializes in that area.
There is hardly any Section 8 in Lincoln Park at all! Lincoln Park is the perhaps the most completely gentrified neighborhood I have ever seen--even compared to San Francisco and New York, which are more committed to affordable housing. Your realtor's info is definitely dated in a big way. The schools are mixed in CPS, but only because of busing from poorer neighborhoods. Lakeview and Lincoln Park are pretty much interchangeable in terms of safety, but I'd actually give Lincoln Park the edge there... Lakeview is a little bit cheaper, and there are a few problem spots in Northern Lakeview near my place (i.e. the infamous Hotel Chateau and the Gill Park Cooperative). But both neighborhoods are very safe for city neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,378 times
Except for the pregnant and parenting teen group home on Dickens.....

Old 07-07-2008, 02:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
Except for the pregnant and parenting teen group home on Dickens.....
Hah! Funny you should mention that. It moved about four years ago because they wanted to be in a location closer to their clientelle.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Well I think Anthera is being too kind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
I wouldn't say Jay's realtor is an idiot, she's just got a suburban mindset. My mother still thinks the area around DePaul is scary, because it was many years ago. Twenty years ago the area west of Halstead was scary, not its not.

It is never wise to use a realtor who is out of their area. Now before another poster puts up links to her city realtors, I would suggest that you ask your current realtor to recommend someone downtown who she works with who can show you around. That way if you buy downtown, the suburban realtor, who you like, will still get a fractional commission.
Jay's agent is just WRONG, maybe uninformed/outdated wrong, or scared/sowing doubt wrong, but wrong nonetheless... Without getting into the specifics of how it is to live in a place that is condo/townhouse or even typical LP single family home, or even dealing with the potential SKY HIGH cost of finding a place that is family friendly in LP itself Jay's agent is exhibiting some really unflattering behavior.

I would be the first one to say that Jay has some pretty specific requests, but , at least on the posts here, she has been honest/direct with them. I suppose the agent might see odds of pay check getting dimmer, but that is no reason to say things that are just untrue. LP is expensive. It is not however dangerous or even risky. There are just about no places that are not as developed / gentrified as can be. Maybe even too much so, which is why there are the hipsters looking for the gritter experience in Wicker Park, Logan Sq, Humbolt Park, Bucktown, et cetera...

When I tell people that already have school age kids to avoid LP (and frankly most of Chicago) it is because I know how much of a hassle it is to try come from far away and take advantage of the stuff in place to try and make it possible to live in the City. For someone in Jay's situation this is very different. She is set with a rental. She is stay at home mom. She will already be out seeking like minded folks in the 'essential oils' aisle at Whole Foods. If some one like her is just cut out to figure who take advantage of the "green Chicago" efforts than no one is...

Old 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM

107 posts, read 327,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's not "green" to live in suburban sprawl.
It's fun to look at the stars at night; pretty hard to do in Chicago where the sky is orange.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,726,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
It's fun to look at the stars at night; pretty hard to do in Chicago where the sky is orange.
I have to agree with you there, I miss seeing the stars shine brightly. We get too much reflected Chicago light around here.

Lucky you.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM

961 posts, read 2,567,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There is hardly any Section 8 in Lincoln Park at all!
This is what I figured. The private school requirement is an issue for us though. I definitely want my kids to go to public schools. I'd read the thread about raising kids in the city. We'll continue to check out all of the different areas while we live in the month to month place in Evanston.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Orange? Why would it be orange?

I love looking at the stars as well, but there are always camping trips. Most kids LOVE camping. I camped all of the time as a kid. I think it is one of the reasons I feel so connected to nature and the caring for our planet and it's inhabitants.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Preschools

I started calling preschools after getting recommendations from SloopyJ (thank you!!!) and the Childcare Network of Evanston (thanks Calidreemer!). Sounds like the good ones do already have LONG waiting lists. The YMCA program sounds great to me with their very open door parent policy, but waiting their list is quite long with a non-refundable $100 registration fee. I don't mind paying the fee since it goes to the Y and I love the Y (in fact, my husband did a HUGE volunteer project for them in San Diego where he got his company to donate an entire computer lab and he donated his time to set it up), but the chances of getting my daughter in there don't sound too great. I left messages for Cherry and School for Little Children. Chandler Newberger doesn't start registration until mid-Aug so I am going to tour that facility this week along with the others I mentioned. Am I missing any other good ones?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
For someone in Jay's situation this is very different. She is set with a rental. She is stay at home mom. She will already be out seeking like minded folks in the 'essential oils' aisle at Whole Foods. If some one like her is just cut out to figure who take advantage of the "green Chicago" efforts than no one is...
Thank you...I think that was a compliment??? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs