Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
We found a really great month to month rental today. The price is a little high and it is a little smaller than we wanted, but it is really nice and we are so excited and happy. We'll most likely get to move in next week!

We went to Lincoln Park today and LOVED IT!!!! I wish it were a reasonable distance for my husband to go to work because it has a the urban hip vibe we are looking for down there. I can see us living there. How are the schools in that area anyway?

I'm feeling much more positive about things today now that we found a rental. Thanks for all of your help everyone and I will continue to keep you updated.
Yes, join us in the city. You will find MANY more like-minded people than you would in any suburb. The most family-friendly neighborhoods that aren't that "towny" are along the Brown Line (Ranch Triangle, DePaul, Southport, North Center, Lincoln Square). There are more kids running around these neighborhoods today than you can even imagine. You can't walk down the street in Lincoln Square without passing ten strollers. Obviously schools are the biggest issue in the city, but there is a thread about this in the "city" forum (called "Raising Kids in the City" or something like that).

At your price point, you would be looking at a condo in the city. But at $500K you could get a really spacious 3-BR 2-Bath condo in a great neighborhood. Some of them are close to 2000 square feet.

Either way, you are getting warmer in your search for "like-minded people". Evanston is a good choice. But if you are looking in the city, Ravenswood has a Metra stop on the Union Pacific North Line (is that the one you need?). The area around the stop is very family friendly indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 AM

By the way, there is also a Metra Union Pacific North Line stop on the western fringe of Lincoln Park (the Clybourn stop is in an industrial area by the highway between Lincoln Park and Bucktown). If you could swing Lincoln Park or Bucktown, you would absolutely love both neighborhoods.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:43 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,801 times
Congratulations on the rental!

Go to the beach. Go to the Children's Museum. Go for a walk.

Do yourself a favor-- check out and relax for a bit (like a couple months!...). You probably ALL need to decompress.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,378 times
I think the Metra will go into Lake Forest or Vernon Hills. Her husband's company may offer shuttle service from one of these trains. Our company does and we are in Lake Forest not too far from Mettawa.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Still sounds like a long commute to me... I'd probably go with Evanston if I were Jaynetarzana.

Another thing to consider is what happens if your husband changes jobs in a few years... I'd hate to be stuck out in Lake Bluff if I had a job in the Loop, or anywhere else in the suburbs. Evanston has good access to the Loop if an employment switch were ever to occur, and then you wouldn't have to automatically move. However, Evanston's connections to non-North Shore suburbs are pretty bad.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM

961 posts, read 2,567,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
I think the Metra will go into Lake Forest or Vernon Hills. Her husband's company may offer shuttle service from one of these trains. Our company does and we are in Lake Forest not too far from Mettawa.
They do offer shuttle service from Lake Forest AND he only goes into the office twice a week so he would be around more often with the girls and we could cut down on our carbon footprint.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,378 times
That's great! You will have many more options with his work schedule and the shuttle option. You can live pretty much anywhere you want!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,122 times
Haven't been around but wanted to say I'm so glad you found a place in Evanston. I'm confident that you'll like it there!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Congratulations on the rental!

Go to the beach. Go to the Children's Museum. Go for a walk.

Do yourself a favor-- check out and relax for a bit (like a couple months!...). You probably ALL need to decompress.
Thanks, but there is no time to relax yet. We need to get moved in and then I need to start touring preschools. My daughter is very ready to go to school a few times a week. She needs the social interaction. I know that in California, all of the good preschools have a long waiting list by now. I hope I don't have the same problem here.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
By the way, there is also a Metra Union Pacific North Line stop on the western fringe of Lincoln Park (the Clybourn stop is in an industrial area by the highway between Lincoln Park and Bucktown). If you could swing Lincoln Park or Bucktown, you would absolutely love both neighborhoods.
Our realtor just called me and when I told her that we really liked Lincoln Park, she said that there are very nice blocks right next to very scary blocks. She lived there for 20 years, but that was over 15 years ago that she left. She also said that private schools are a must there and the majority of people with kids move to the burbs once kids reach school age. Comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs