Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM

305 posts, read 1,117,674 times

Advertisements

If you have a few minutes, you might want to call a few preschools this week. I think several schools have July 10th commitment dates, after which deposits are lost. So there may be some shuffling this week and you may want your name on the lists. I'd start with Cherry Preschool and the School for Little Children (our daughter started at Cherry last year, which we found through numerous recommendations). Both are very reasonably priced and I think you'll fit in very well as a family at either. If you're in north Evanston, Baker Demonstration School (on the Evanston/Wilmette border) has a great program, but it's pricey. We also looked at Roycemore, which seemed to have a nice program as well and was priced less than Baker but more than the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,728,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Our realtor just called me and when I told her that we really liked Lincoln Park, she said that there are very nice blocks right next to very scary blocks. She lived there for 20 years, but that was over 15 years ago that she left. She also said that private schools are a must there and the majority of people with kids move to the burbs once kids reach school age. Comments?

I would agree that private or magnet schools are a must. Private(nonparochial) schools will run $20k a year, parochial schools in the area give first preference to church members, magnet schools can be difficult to get into.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,834,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Our realtor just called me and when I told her that we really liked Lincoln Park, she said that there are very nice blocks right next to very scary blocks. She lived there for 20 years, but that was over 15 years ago that she left. She also said that private schools are a must there and the majority of people with kids move to the burbs once kids reach school age. Comments?
More proof that your realtor is an idiot. Scary blocks in Lincoln Park? They don't exist. South of North Avenue is what's left of Cabrini Green and the Marshall Field homes (CHA projects), but this is not Lincoln Park and there is very little spillover. And the area around there has boomed in the last five years.

The public/private debate is now shifting in some city neighborhoods (particularly Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and North Center). There are a couple of public elementary schools in Lincoln Park that are pretty good because parents have gotten involved and flipped them (Lincoln School being one of them). If you live within the attendance boundary, you are guaranteed a spot. Lincoln Park High School has received some kudos in the national media lately, but the rating methodology has been highly contested by some on this board. Check out this thread from the "city" forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-possible.html

Towards the end of that thread I posted a link to a Tribune article about raising kids in the city. It's a good read.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM

961 posts, read 2,568,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
If you have a few minutes, you might want to call a few preschools this week. I think several schools have July 10th commitment dates, after which deposits are lost. So there may be some shuffling this week and you may want your name on the lists. I'd start with Cherry Preschool and the School for Little Children (our daughter started at Cherry last year, which we found through numerous recommendations). Both are very reasonably priced and I think you'll fit in very well as a family at either. If you're in north Evanston, Baker Demonstration School (on the Evanston/Wilmette border) has a great program, but it's pricey. We also looked at Roycemore, which seemed to have a nice program as well and was priced less than Baker but more than the other two.
Thank you! We will be in North Evanston off Ridge between Emerson and Church.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,728,858 times
I wouldn't say Jay's realtor is an idiot, she's just got a suburban mindset. My mother still thinks the area around DePaul is scary, because it was many years ago. Twenty years ago the area west of Halstead was scary, not its not.

It is never wise to use a realtor who is out of their area. Now before another poster puts up links to her city realtors, I would suggest that you ask your current realtor to recommend someone downtown who she works with who can show you around. That way if you buy downtown, the suburban realtor, who you like, will still get a fractional commission.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,901 times
If you are looking for child care options/preschools call the Childcare Network of Evanston and they will send you all the information you want/need about childcare options.

Regarding the big decision of where to live it seems as though it's getting kind of tough to figure this out as new communities become known to you. If it were me I think I would want to find a suitable place to rent, get setteled and then get to know your areas of interest from your own perspective. It's no fun to ride that rollercoaster, especially with little children.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 PM

107 posts, read 327,837 times
If you want a green, natural life, stay away from big places like Evanston. True naturalists believe the farm is the best place to live off the land. However, a step down from that would be a nice home on a sizable lot where you could garden and be surrounded by natural splendor. My favorite choices would be the west suburbs, even though I am from the north suburbs...

grade "A" places to raise kids
-Geneva
-St. Charles
-Barrington

other "Fox Valley" towns might include....

-Cary
-Crystal Lake
-McHenry

These places are more rural, but they are still sizeable towns of 25,000-40,000 people.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
More proof that your realtor is an idiot. Scary blocks in Lincoln Park? They don't exist. South of North Avenue is what's left of Cabrini Green and the Marshall Field homes (CHA projects), but this is not Lincoln Park and there is very little spillover. And the area around there has boomed in the last five years.
She says there is a LOT of section 8 in the area and the schools are a mix of those who are very wealthy and those living in extreme poverty. She say you always have to watch yourself when you are out and about. She also said that Lakeview was fabulous. She did offer to refer me to an agent in her company who specializes in that area.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,834,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
If you want a green, natural life, stay away from big places like Evanston. True naturalists believe the farm is the best place to live off the land. However, a step down from that would be a nice home on a sizable lot where you could garden and be surrounded by natural splendor. My favorite choices would be the west suburbs, even though I am from the north suburbs...

grade "A" places to raise kids
-Geneva
-St. Charles
-Barrington

other "Fox Valley" towns might include....

-Cary
-Crystal Lake
-McHenry

These places are more rural, but they are still sizeable towns of 25,000-40,000 people.
It's not "green" to live in suburban sprawl.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
If you are looking for child care options/preschools call the Childcare Network of Evanston and they will send you all the information you want/need about childcare options.

Regarding the big decision of where to live it seems as though it's getting kind of tough to figure this out as new communities become known to you. If it were me I think I would want to find a suitable place to rent, get setteled and then get to know your areas of interest from your own perspective. It's no fun to ride that rollercoaster, especially with little children.
I think you are exactly right. We are going to meet with the guy tonight to fill out the application and give him our deposit for the place in Evanston. I'm going to call that Childcare Network right now! Thanks so much for all of your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs