Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 02:40 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Cool derailing of this topic, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 AM

258 posts, read 347,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortPoaster View Post
Hahahaha, you're argument got BTFO by a separate poster with 2 of your 3 North Evanston schools having diversity bused in. Can't make this up.
So what about the third school? Whether these other schools are bused in or not, Evanston is still a fairly small place. I still demonstrated far higher diversity in hard numbers compared to other Northshore tows. You are still talking out of your backside when you made blanket statements.

The other thing that you fail to respond to is - why does diversity necessarily have to mean the neighborhood has to become unsafe or that schools have to get trashed? Diversity literally means a diverse set of races living in close proximity to one another, respecting and learning from other cultures, etc.

Are you seriously saying that wanting a safe neighborhood with good schools is only a white WASP thing?

Quote:
My point is that I'm very against the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality that is rampant with hipster liberals and SWPLs. Most love to preach about 'diversity', 'progressiveness' and 'multiculturalism', but they're always the last ones the be affected negatively by these things, if they ever are at all. Diversity is great when there are 3,489 different ethic cuisine choices all within a mile of home, but it's simply ignored when working-class job wages get undercut or when crime starts to skyrocket.
What does working class job wages getting cut or crime increase have to do with wanting diversity? What the heck does diversity even mean to you? So living in a crime ridden ghetto is the only way to get "diversity"?

Quote:
Then once they get their money it's off to the gated or secluded community that is largely white (with a few Asian dentists, Indian doctors and Jewish lawyers mixed in to not be toooooooo white), and the usual excuses come in the form of "good schools" and "quiet neighborhoods".
Nope, a *lot* of Evanston residents are long term residents who haven't moved out to gated communities. But I get it, you just want to rant, so go ahead.

Quote:
What these morons always fail to ask themselves is "why do these areas have such good schools and quiet neighborhoods?" all while they continue to be sanctimonious. Then in regards to those more blue-collar proles who aren't able to move up and out it's either "I got mine!!! so who cares!!??" or even more LOLtastically "why can't others just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and become an engineer/doctor/lawyer/dentist/banker (insert high earning profession of your choice) like me? If they would simply work harder then maybe they wouldn't have such ignorant and backwards views!"
Sure, if you are a white collared or blue collared worker of a certain income level, you would like to live in a neighborhood where the income level is somewhat similar. Chances are, your friends would mostly be of the same income level as well. How many millionaire friends do you have? I don't.

But again, that has nothing to do with racial diversity and wanting to be multi-cultural.

Your entire rant and sarcasm is about income divide and white collar vs blue collar, not about racial diversity or multi-culture.

And for that matter, racism and lack of cultural assimilation is as vicious in poorer neighborhoods, as it is segregated and compartmentalized in richer neighborhoods. There is no special diversity sauce that exists in blue collared neighborhoods, at least that I am aware of.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Well EP is living up to his/her alias anyway. Working really hard to make a point he/she was taught in freshman sociology. Badly I might add.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 AM

138 posts, read 112,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Well EP is living up to his/her alias anyway.
Thanks! I thought it was a great name.

You should really stick to the cuckservative Twin Cities threads.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:43 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Quote:
Thanks! I thought it was a great name.

You should really stick to the cuckservative Twin Cities threads.
Not even sure what this means honestly. But glad you are following me around.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Teachers that yell at their students, rely on textbooks--the horror

As if the kids themselves had nothing to do with all this..

Precious snowflake syndrome, once again..
CBSmom is talking in teacher code to avoid offending. Let me help.

"Teachers that yell" = a large percentage of students have serious discipline problems

"Rely entirely on textbooks" = teachers who do not know anything about the subjects they are teaching

I would want my kids to go somewhere else.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I remember kids who grew up in the area say the only cool areas are south of Isabella (the border between Evanston and Wilmette).

Last edited by pvande55; 09-19-2017 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 09-28-2017, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,913 times
HI all,
We're a family of four likely moving to Chicago area from Boston in summer of 2018. It's such a daunting process to select a rightful place to live and to educate our children. we do have our eyes on Wilmette (haven't done research thoroughly though). I've learned Linconshire holds the reputation of the best school district but it's too far to the medical school area in downtown Chicago where my husband will be working at. My question is why NTHS is not ranked on schooldigger? I may have overlooked other good sources of evaluating the schools. If you can point out some, that'll be really helpful. I do appreciate all the comments and useful info posted here. Will keep reading these. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:55 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuen View Post
HI all,
We're a family of four likely moving to Chicago area from Boston in summer of 2018. It's such a daunting process to select a rightful place to live and to educate our children. we do have our eyes on Wilmette (haven't done research thoroughly though). I've learned Linconshire holds the reputation of the best school district but it's too far to the medical school area in downtown Chicago where my husband will be working at. My question is why NTHS is not ranked on schooldigger? I may have overlooked other good sources of evaluating the schools. If you can point out some, that'll be really helpful. I do appreciate all the comments and useful info posted here. Will keep reading these. Thanks.
You should start a new thread. It strays from the topic in this one.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You should start a new thread. It strays from the topic in this one.
Do you mean New Trier High School? It is in Winnetka.

Perhaps you did not look hard enough. It is ranked A+ by niche

https://www.niche.com/k12/new-trier-...l-winnetka-il/

https://www.niche.com/k12/new-trier-...a-il/rankings/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs