Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,873 times

Advertisements

I cannot speak highly enough about Glenkirk.org I had the priviledge of teaching at one of their facilities quite some time ago. It was the only job I ever had that on Friday afternoon I was actually sad because I didn't get to go to work on the weekend. The primary focus was whatever was in the best interest of the children, everything else was secondary. It was one of the best programs in the country at the time. That definately cannot be said of any program I have encountered in Florida.

As for the Chicago area in general...
I have a sister with an IQ of 69 that has been labeled with "autistic qualities" She has spent her whole life on Chicago's North Shore. She has grown up with a tremendous network to help her grow as a person and first and foremost she has done so in a safe environment. Of course it hasn't all been peaches and cream but when I compare her worst encounters to things I encountered teaching special ed in Florida, Chicago's suburbs come out smelling like a rose.

(That being said, grey skies for months on end and 40 degrees and raining are things I definately don't miss!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 AM

22 posts, read 131,302 times
I have an austic son who just turned 5. We are in the Romeoville area and we've had nothing but wonderful things to say about the schools. (School Dist 365U) They just opened a few years ago a special pre-school which he went to last year. Max 10 kids per room (his had 8) a full time teacher and 2 full time aids. Then he also has Speech, OT, and PT several times a week. He will be going into a "regular" kindergaten class this fall and he'll have an aid in the room and he'll still get Speech. He no longer need OT or PT. The school provides transportation to and from the daycare and we'll have bi-weekly meeting with the staff to talk about how's he's doing. We've been in this district for a year now and again they have helped our son so much and we love it. Just our opinion.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,531 times
Moderator cut: quoting deleted post

I hope the mods ban you from this forum for speaking so disrespectfully of people with disabilities. I take great offense to your comments since my brother is disabled.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 12-07-2007 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: took out deleted post....and your wish has been granted

Old 12-07-2007, 01:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,531 times
Moderator cut: quoting deleted post
That is a whole separate issue. You were making very rude and generalized statements against all disabled people.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 12-07-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Default Autism in Chicago

Check out the Tribune's front page story today:

The story of Jamie -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sunday/chi-jamie_day_onedec09,0,6067638.story - broken link)

Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 13,112 times
I live in Wilmette. They have NO programs for autistic kids.. (only for the very little ones like from ages up to 6 -- which is a good program..) if you kid have anger issues they may be made to leave and there is NO WHERE TO go. They will pay for private schools but they vary and the good ones are filled up. we are moving out of wilmette because my 8 year old son has been booted out of school with no where to go (unless i want to drive 4 hours a day to and from school to take him to a decent place with openings).. wilmette is the LAST place on the northshore id move to for services.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 AM

68 posts, read 515,915 times
we've been considering moving to chicago suburbs with a 10yo ASD kid...sorry you are having a bad experience. Please comment back if you figure out some good places. I've kinda gotten the feeling that the area programs are overwhelmed and the private school thing might not work out well....

looking at other options for now, but please post more if you find out info! oh, and my son had anger issues but has improved TREMENDOUSLY in the past year...an age thing? if you want, message me and I can tell you what I think helped him...not that I really know

good luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 13,112 times
Default good town in northshore chicago imho

Glenview, Glencoe, Northbrook..

Wilmette is good if you are able to get your kid into a private school. they will most likely pay for it if they do not have a similar program for the kids age, disability level, etc., which most likely they will not, if your kid is any more than slightly disabled, or willing to sit still all day and quietly keep busy working or playing,etc.

They will try to mainstream the lesser disabled and ship off the more disabled into private placement - physically disabled kids are usually able to stay in wilmette.

wilmette is not part of NSSED (north shore special ed) most other towns in the area are. -- wilmette (dist 39) opted out a few years ago to save money.

you may want to call up school district offices in the town you are thinking of moving to to see what they have to offer.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,521 times
While unaffordable for most, the Barrington area is a wonderful option. It's a very nice area, with beautiful landscapes, big homes, amazing schools, and great shopping, dining etc. However, its a VERY expensive area to live in.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 PM

24 posts, read 155,709 times
Glencoe (very expensive town) is supposed to have excellent services for special needs kids. I know several people who have moved there for that reason. Barrington is not the greatest for special needs kids, nor is Evanston (terrible, actually). Glenview is supposed to be pretty good for special needs kids. I suggest calling school districts and asking to speak with their director of special services. S/he will give you a better idea about the district's offerings. Generally, the wealthier the community, the more likely you are to get better services for your child. However, you have to fight for services in almost any community. The North Shore in general is Ok, but, except for Glencoe, not fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs