Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,950 times

Advertisements

There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to how long winter in Chicago lasts. We have an old saying here: 'if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes........it'll change'. Each year is different. Last year we didn't get any snow until February and temps were fairly mild but this past season was one of the most brutal we've had in several years {for both snow, temperatures, and length of the season}. Generally speaking, winter begins here in November and lasts into March/April. March is completely unpredictable: temps from the 20's and snowing to 70's and sunshine. Usually, the below zero readings are over by March, but again, never say never! December/January/February are solidly winter here. We've had light snow in October some years but it doesn't last because the ground isn't frozen yet. By the end of November we usually get our first hard freezes. March and April are a mixed bag with any kind of weather. We've had snow in May but it's rare and usually a fleeting thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestKD View Post
We've had snow in May but it's rare and usually a fleeting thing.
Accumulations of snow in April are even pretty rare...

Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM

April snows happen......they just don't last due to the changing temps from day to day and Spring fighting to overtake winter, so I'd have to respectfully disagree that accumulating snows 'rarely' happen in April. I remember many an Easter with an inch or so of snow on the ground and cold temps in April, here.

Last edited by MidwestKD; 07-11-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
Yes April, or even May, snow can happen but is rare and if it does happen it is usually minimal and melts fairly quickly. Generally "winter" is late November to end of March. Temps in November and December are generally decent and by decent I mean 40-50 degrees. If you are wondering when the snow and cold is constant it's hard to say because it can vary by season. This last winter is not a great indicator because it is generally not like that, but I can 99% guarantee it will snow at least once and temperatures will never see days above 30.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestKD View Post
...so I'd have to respectfully disagree that accumulating snows 'rarely' happen in April. I remember many an Easter with an inch or so of snow on the ground and cold temps in April, here.
"Many an Easter"? I don't think so. More like a few Easters, if that. Historically, April snow accumulations are indeed rare, with most years having little or no measurable snow in April. About three quarters of the years going back to 1885 have less than an inch of snow in April. And even when we get more than an inch in April, it melts quickly.

Snow Rankings for April for Chicago

Old 07-11-2014, 04:06 PM

My mistake. I guess by the time March and April gets here, it FEELS like winter will never end. To get back to the original question about how long winters last here, plan on May as a safe bet for the end of it! lol

Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 AM

545 posts, read 1,484,750 times
For me, the worst part of winter isn't January and February. I expect it to be cold and snowy then. It's March and April when I'm ready for it to be done, but it's still dragging on. I'll concur with others that say December to February for hard winder, but it's really not really "spring" until mid-late April most years.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 AM

487 posts, read 748,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
On average three months. Mid Dec - Mid March for any real worries of ice, snow, shoveling, etc.
Our first snow of the season was on October 22, 2013 (not sticking, but an all-day snow), and our last was May 16, 2014 (again, not a sticking snow). I write a blog, so my dates are accurate. So, whether or not we had to shovel, I still consider that to be winter - 7 months long. I'm moving to AZ.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:03 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
It's just like "Game of Thrones", winter lasts anywhere from 3-10 years

Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,164 times
Winter is always too long in Chicago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: