Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 14,211 times

Advertisements

Local advice needed! Family of 4 relocating to NW Chicago suburbs from out of state. I will be working in Mettawa; unclear where spouse will be working, but will search in NW burbs. 2 elementary school-aged kids. Our price range is $450-500k, could stretch to $550k for the perfect find. Here's what we're looking for:

Must-have's:
-4+BR, 2+bath, basement
-Friendly, social neighborhood with kids close in age to ours.
-Good public schools, doesn't have to be TOP TOP ranked, but good to really good.
-Access to good park district, library, etc. (We are not country club, nor elite travel sports team types)
-25min or less to my office in Mettawa
-35min or less to the grandparents in south Mt. Prospect

Love-to-have's:
-Newer construction
-New-urban/neo-traditional neighborhood - i.e. smaller, non-fenced lots, walking trails, people out and about

Based on these criteria we've found online a few listings that look promising in Hawthorn Woods, Vernon Hills, Long Grove, Barrington, Lake Zurich. Also open to Libertyville, Buffalo Grove, northern part of Arlington Heights, Glenview, Northbrook. Where else should we be looking? Any specific neighborhoods you'd recommend? With school starting next month we're under tight timing to nail something down quickly so kids don't have to start over twice. So we want to be as focused as possible when we are in town next week looking at houses, and right now the list of possible suburbs above feels too long. THANK YOU for any and all advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
I'd add the core of Mt. Prospect to your list and probably Deerfield,

btw I'd drop the "neo" and just stick with "traditional" as the record of such development is not good -- for some that means places with "fake" gathering places / transplated "native plants" / artificially anti-car policies. From all indications you really want a traditional town that have spots for kids and adults to gather that have developed over time. For a variety of reason (many related to the fundamentals of the railroads and grid of surface streets...) such towns are more common in west Cook & Dupage Co., but you get get to work in Mettewa in 25 minutes without helicopter support...

Old 07-30-2014, 02:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,345,705 times
Throw a dart at a map! They're all good. Maybe stay away from Mundelein and Wauconda.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:29 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh1978 View Post
Local advice needed! Family of 4 relocating to NW Chicago suburbs from out of state. I will be working in Mettawa; unclear where spouse will be working, but will search in NW burbs. 2 elementary school-aged kids. Our price range is $450-500k, could stretch to $550k for the perfect find. Here's what we're looking for:

Must-have's:
-4+BR, 2+bath, basement
-Good public schools, doesn't have to be TOP TOP ranked, but good to really good.
-Access to good park district, library, etc. (We are not country club, nor elite travel sports team types)

Love-to-have's:
-Newer construction
-New-urban/neo-traditional neighborhood - i.e. smaller, non-fenced lots, walking trails, people out and about

Based on these criteria we've found online a few listings that look promising in Hawthorn Woods, Vernon Hills, Long Grove, Barrington, Lake Zurich. Also open to Libertyville, Buffalo Grove, northern part of Arlington Heights, Glenview, Northbrook. Where else should we be looking? Any specific neighborhoods you'd recommend? With school starting next month we're under tight timing to nail something down quickly so kids don't have to start over twice. So we want to be as focused as possible when we are in town next week looking at houses, and right now the list of possible suburbs above feels too long. THANK YOU for any and all advice!!!
Assuming the commute to work is during rush hour and the trip to grandparents is weekends.....

Hawthrorn Woods...Maybe work depending on where in HW you are, probably no to grandparents
Vernon Hills...Yes
Long Grove...Depends - eastern LG yes, western, no (note that there are almost no Park District activities in LG. They use Buffalo Grove programs but are on the bottom of the list, so for sports, elite travel teams might be the only option).
Barrington...No
Lake Zurich...Maybe to work, iffy to grandparents
Libertyville...Yes to work, probably not to grandparents
Buffalo Grove...Yes if Lake county side
Northern AH...Maybe, but why get into BGHS district when going across Lake Cook Road gets you into Stevenson?
Glenview...Yes for work, maybe for grandparents
Northbrook... Same as Glenview

Traffic going east/west can be a nightmare during rush hours. North/ south is not as bad coming from the north.

Not sure that any of these meet your second "love to have". Libertyville might meet some criteria but not all at your price point.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
There is more and more live data that pretty clearly shows there is often little difference for "inbound" or "reverse commutes" in our region/

Don't take my word for it or anybody else's, test it out: https://www.waze.com/livemap

You can input any combination of destination and departure point and see folks transmit data from their smart phones to the live map.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh1978 View Post

Must-have's:
-4+BR, 2+bath, basement

Love-to-have's:
-Newer construction

The Glen in Glenview comes to mind, but I think its over your budget.
Our neighborhood, Lake Arlington Towne, fits the people out & about criteria and has 2 mile path around Lake Arlington. But homes are no longer newer, having been built late '80's. Many have been nicely renovated. K-8 schools are very good, but Wheeling HS is a mixed bag. Homes in your size and price range and you are 25-35 minutes to work and about 20 minutes, or less, to grand parents. Master Planned community, but you own the property. $380/year gives you access to indoor/outdoor pool, workout facilities, tennis courts and goes to upkeep of common areas. Not snooty at all. Mix of young adults in the townhome sections (well kept-no riff raff!) to families, to empty nesters to retirees. I like it because it is clean, well kept but isn't too cookie cutter for me.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is more and more live data that pretty clearly shows there is often little difference for "inbound" or "reverse commutes" in our region/

Don't take my word for it or anybody else's, test it out: https://www.waze.com/livemap

You can input any combination of destination and departure point and see folks transmit data from their smart phones to the live map.
I use Waze and think it is the best of the bunch. But their times are not that accurate in congested areas. No matter where in the US. Always understate the real time. Sometimes by a lot. I always add time to their estimate except when on more or less open roads where they are pretty good.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Many properties in your price range can carry a $9-12,000 a year property tax bill in NW Cook and Lake Counties. Have you factored this into what you can afford?

Next challenge is newer construction. Unless you are interested in a town home, you are not going to find it at your price point unless you are willing to significantly increase your commute time and distance from your family.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The Glen in Glenview comes to mind, but I think its over your budget.
Our neighborhood, Lake Arlington Towne, fits the people out & about criteria and has 2 mile path around Lake Arlington. But homes are no longer newer, having been built late '80's. Many have been nicely renovated. K-8 schools are very good, but Wheeling HS is a mixed bag. Homes in your size and price range and you are 25-35 minutes to work and about 20 minutes, or less, to grand parents. Master Planned community, but you own the property. $380/year gives you access to indoor/outdoor pool, workout facilities, tennis courts and goes to upkeep of common areas. Not snooty at all. Mix of young adults in the townhome sections (well kept-no riff raff!) to families, to empty nesters to retirees. I like it because it is clean, well kept but isn't too cookie cutter for me.
Current listings in The Glen in Glenview range from $849,000-$1,349,000. Property taxes are in the $15-17,000 range. Lot sizes are relatively small.

Lake Arlington has attached and detached housing. The current listings for detached housing range from$439-569,000. Taxes range $9-11,000. Most homes are pushing 30 years old and the more affordable will need updating. Most of the attached housing is substantially smaller than the 4 br the Op wants.

Many inbound relocating families are shocked at the property taxes in the greater Chicago area, unless they are coming from the East coast. Even those returning after many years cannot believe that most taxes have doubled in the past decade.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
I would take Lake Zurich off the list. During rush hour, that's going to be tough. Take Arlington Hts off the list for the same commuting issue but also because I agree with wjj about schools.

Please describe what you mean by 'newer construction'. That's open to interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs