Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,400 times

Advertisements

If I were in your situation, I would live in the city along the Red Line elevated line. The Chicago stop (800 N. State) is a five minute walk from where you will be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
The easiest route from the suburbs will be from the West. If the OP placed himself along the UP-W Metra line, anywhere from Oak Park to Wheaton, he would be able to take the Metra to Oak Park, transfer to the CTA Green Line, take that to the Lake St. stop, transfer to the CTA Red Line and take that north to the Chicago Ave. stop, which is only a couple blocks from Tiffany's. Not really that complicated, but the commute with be anywhere from 50-90 mins each way, depending which suburb is chosen.

Unfortunately, with your limited budget for a 3-bed, you might have to look at the suburbs that are going to be closer to that 90 minute mark.

This home is .9 miles from the Wheaton Metra station, and within your budget:
133 N Woodlawn St, Wheaton, IL 60187 is For Rent - Zillow

Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 87,271 times
The challenge with Naperville is that while you can probably find a place there you can afford, it won't be walking distance to the train. There's something like a 2 year wait for a permanent parking spot at the Naperville metra station. I think there are some first come first serve spots where it's like $2 a day, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's also about two miles from Union Station to Tiffany's. So you're looking at [Time to Drive to Naperville Train and Board] + [Time on Train (35-45 min)] + [25 Minute Bus Ride]. You'll definitely see more of your family if you live closer, somewhere that you can take the L.

Based on that specific location, somewhere along the red line or brown line would be best, as even the blue line would be a bit of a hike to where you work. You can also get a place that's west of there and then take a bus to the Brown or Red Lines. Check out North Center and Logan Square.

Have you spent much time in Chicago? You might want to take a weekend and just drive around to some of these different areas and take a look at the neighborhoods and suburbs to see if they're what you're looking for. There are several north side neighborhoods in the city with a lot of young families that you might like. And while $1500 isn't a huge budget for living in the city, if you hunt around you should be able to find something that works for you.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Definitely check out Naperville. Its a great city full of nightlife and good dining, with excellent schools. You can probably find some place to rent close to the train tracks (try Railway Plaza for instance) for your price range, and they offer express Metra trains to downtown. Wheaton, Geneva, and Glen Ellyn are also lovely towns along the Metra lines that you should check out.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:43 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Where on Michigan Avenue is your office? If it's north of the River, most Metra commutes will be more problematic due to the distances involved to get to the major train stations. Both of the major train stations are just west of Chicago's Loop (with Ogilvie being just north of Union Station).

Millenium station is very convenient to most of Michigan Avenue, and it serves the Metra Electric and South Shore lines. I'm not crazy about most of the suburbs along the Metra Electric, though. Homewood and Flossmoor are the nicest of the bunch. And the South Shore is notoriously unreliable and basically serves NW Indiana.

If I were you, I'd take half or your new increased salary and apply it to housing. You would have a lot more options in the $2k+/month rent range.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 AM

You could always drive from a suburb like Wheaton/Naperville to Tiffany & Co. on Michigan. Going rate for a daytime-only monthly parking pass around N. Michigan is probably about $200-$250. Plus you'll have $50/month in tolls and gas expenses as well.

That might be an easier, albeit more expensive, option.

Upside is, out near Wheaton/Naperville you'll save big on housing expenses -- plus you'll have a nice-sized yard, amenities like a free zoo and public pools and you'll be living around other young families like yourself. You'll also be able to establish your family in a neighborhood that you can remain-in / later buy-in -- instead of renting in a more expensive city neighborhood that you'll likely have to uproot from in a few years when the kids are ready for school (Chicago neighborhood schools are usually not acceptable for discerning parents, you'd probably end up moving to a suburb anyway).

This rental is under $1400/month: 133 N Woodlawn St, Wheaton, IL 60187 - Zillow

Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 87,271 times
Hollingsworth - just curious, have you ever lived in the city? Because it sounds like you're comparing the city circa the mid 80s to the suburbs, rather than the present day city vs the present day suburbs.

You're essentially recommending to the OP that he spend an additional two hours commuting every day, based on where he might want to live in five years when his kid starts kindergarten. In the mean time, he'll miss out on countless hours with his family that he would get if he lived in a city neighborhood with a 20 minute commute versus a suburb with an hour and 20 minute commute. Plus saving hundreds of dollars a month on commuting costs that will more than make up for the difference in housing expense.

Today, as more and more people move closer to the city to avoid long commutes, there are many north side neighborhoods that are full of young families. Walk around Bucktown, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Ukrainian Village, etc. any day and you'll see tons of people walking around with strollers, parks filled with kids playing, family-friendly restaurants, etc. The Lincoln Park Zoo is free, there are parks and libraries and beaches and tons of things to do in the city.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanmorin25 View Post
Hollingsworth - just curious, have you ever lived in the city? Because it sounds like you're comparing the city circa the mid 80s to the suburbs, rather than the present day city vs the present day suburbs.

You're essentially recommending to the OP that he spend an additional two hours commuting every day, based on where he might want to live in five years when his kid starts kindergarten. In the mean time, he'll miss out on countless hours with his family that he would get if he lived in a city neighborhood with a 20 minute commute versus a suburb with an hour and 20 minute commute. Plus saving hundreds of dollars a month on commuting costs that will more than make up for the difference in housing expense.

Today, as more and more people move closer to the city to avoid long commutes, there are many north side neighborhoods that are full of young families. Walk around Bucktown, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Ukrainian Village, etc. any day and you'll see tons of people walking around with strollers, parks filled with kids playing, family-friendly restaurants, etc. The Lincoln Park Zoo is free, there are parks and libraries and beaches and tons of things to do in the city.
Yes I lived in various Chicago neighborhoods for most of my young life before moving my family to the suburbs last year -- for the schools. I understand there are some family-oriented neighborhoods in Chicago, but outside of the most expensive neighborhoods (which are far outside the reach of the OP's budget), Chicago "neighborhood" schools are not even worth considering. That's why most kids you see in the city are, as you pointed-out, in strollers or at tot-lots (they aren't school age yet). Furthermore, IMO, it's not worth moving into an even "decent" area of the city, establishing a network of friends, learning the area hangouts, getting accustomed to the city lifestyle, etc. if the OP is going to have to uproot in 2-4 years and move to the burbs. It makes much more sense to start there: meet the other neighborhood families and become established before schools starts. My wife and I were both living in the city long before we met, married and had a kid -- so we held out in the city for as long as we could, to maintain the lifestyle we were accustomed to. This situation is different -- the OP already has a child and the ability to pick between the city and suburbs. I think the OP is intelligent and already displayed the foresight I am talking about in his original post.

As I pointed out, driving would cost an extra $500/month but would allow the OP to shop cheap, but beautiful 3/2 homes in my current town -- like the example I linked to that could be had for $1350/mo. All-in that amounts to roughly $1850/month for housing and transportation. Still way cheaper than any 3-bed, Metra/CTA-pass combo available in the city. Instead of an "eh, decent" city neighborhood the OP would be living in one of the best Chicago suburbs (Best Chicago Neighborhoods and Suburbs | Chicago Magazine)

I drove from Wheaton to the south loop every day for a full year (before switching to Metra) and the commute is only about 50-55 minutes each way. If traffic is horrible, or if its raining/snowing, it can creep up to about 60-70 minutes, but even that is tolerable for most people. If the OP is commuting during off-peak hours, the times would drop to about 35-40 minutes.

Another commuting option from a Metra-linked town like Wheaton would be $150/month for a monthly Metra pass plus a $15/day ($300/month) taxi allowance. That commute would cost $450/month and work out to be around 60 mins. I've already showed that walking-distance-to-Metra, 3-bed homes are available and under-budget.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-08-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 12:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanmorin25 View Post
Today, as more and more people move closer to the city to avoid long commutes...
Note that there are a lot more jobs in the suburbs than in the city. A lot of people also move to the suburbs to avoid long commutes.

I am definitely a proponent of living close to where you work and dislike commuting, so I can see the appeal to making the city work. But in this case, the OP already expressed his preference for suburban living.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
The OP said they'll be working at the Tiffany Store on Michigan Ave, that is like 700 N., I would hate to walk that in an unpleasant weather / retail hours. If they are not taking the El they'll need to catch a bus from the train....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs