Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 PM

6 posts, read 29,363 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any insights on these areas. I would be moving with my wife and two young children (2 and 1/2 and a 2 month old). My wife is a homemaker and I would be working in the central loop area. I have been to Chicago before for business but I am altogether lost as far as how commuting would be for these various suburbs. I realize I could go to google maps but I was looking for more real world information that can only be known through experience such as congestion, speed limits, excess of lights, back roads, and the use of convenient alternative public transportation if possible.

I am mostly concerned with my wife. She is not fond of moving, especially with the children being so young, but I would be remiss if I didn't explore this opportunity and did the necessary research if it works out.

Our budget on the high end would be up to 1.8 million. We would like 5 bedrooms, 3 and 1/2 baths, and around 3 to 4 thousand square feet. We would also like a large, yet manageable, private backyard. Yet most importantly we would like it to be flat and have the basement be underground so that there isn't a huge drop off between the back deck and the yard. We live in an Atlanta suburb right now and that was the most difficult requirement to find in our area. I was wondering how flat the terrain was in these different suburbs? I was wondering if anyone knew of the local libraries in this area, the festivals, and the local downtowns? How walkable are these areas and how welcoming are the neighbors on average? How do these suburbs differ in these areas in question and how are they the same? As stated my wife stays at home and loves to take the kids out and walk to various places in town and is very involved with the community, with this information which area would you recommend? Also how are the preschools and elementary schools in these areas, both public and private? Which would you recommend and why?

My wife likes older and more established neighborhoods and also dislikes "Mcmansions." How does the architecture differ in these areas? Also how does the safety differ? I travel a lot for work and like to know that my family is safe while I am away. To that end our family dog is a pit bull. Are there any laws or ordinances that we should be aware of in these areas?

From my understanding Hinsdale is more accessible to more areas, but Glencoe and Winnetka have the shore, is this correct? Also I was under the impression that Hindsdale taxes are more reasonable. Is this true, why and by how much on average? To the people that live in the Northshore, how often do you frequent the shore and is it worth the money for it to be so accessible?

What are the real differences between Glencoe and Winnetka since they both offer proximity to the shore?

Also how stable is Cook County? I was hearing of some troubles with their budget and was wondering if it would be more prudent to buy in DuPage county...

Thanks in advance...sorry for the lengthy post

Last edited by sandysprings101; 08-10-2014 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:15 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Dupage county taxes are higher. I'll let others explain why. I would not buy in Dupage just because you hear about all the political wangering about budgets, its a never ending saga....Each suburb is lovely and has older homes, not Mc Mansions but I do think Hinsdale has a fair amount of tear downs where new houses have been built and some might consider those McMansions. The north shore has the lake true but Hinsdale has some beautiful natural areas and forest preserves near it. Even though its called "the northshore", its not referred to as "the shore" here. Its "the lake". As far as the terrain, Illinois is very flat so I don't think you will have a problem with that. Most back yards are very flat and basements are mostly underground save for some small windows that peep out at the ceiling level. As far as walkable, it depends on where you live...if you have a house near the downtown area of each town, it may be possible to walk to stores, etc. Each area you mention is very safe so I don't think you have to worry about that. If you have a pitbull, you probably won't be the most popular family...make sure you can get a place that allows a fence and check ordinances regarding them. Oh, Glencoe has a large Jewish population if that matters to you.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:54 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Default Hi

Hi, welcome to Chicago. I can give you some insight on the three towns, although I am more familiar with Hinsdale, since I live there, but also considered living in Winnetka as well after living in the city, since they both had good school systems and the same overall small town homey old feel to them. All three have an older housing stock, and all three have experienced tear downs, Hinsdale more so than Winnetka and Glencoe; all three are charming and storybook. As you mentioned in your post, Hinsdale is the only one not on the lake, but the location advantage balancing in missing the lake location is that it is 20 minutes to each airport, 22 minutes to downtown by express train, and 5 minutes from Oak Brook, where a major shopping mall is and is adjacent to other shopping. Winnetka is 28 minutes at its shortest time to the Loop, and Glencoe over 40 to the loop. The Burlington Northern, Hinsdale's train line, pulls in at Union Station, where as the other two towns pull in at Oglevie train station.

At $1.8 million, you will probably get more for your money in Hinsdale; I can't say whether the lake is worth the extra money; but the balance is that Hinsdale schools are ranked scholastically higher, if that fact matters to you, although all three are in good school systems. It is true that taxes are lower in Hinsdale, since it is located in DuPage County, and Cook County taxes are more, as Cook has a higher sales tax as well. All three are some of the most expensive suburbs in the Chicago area, with Winnetka being the most expensive and Hinsdale being the largest of the three.

The main social difference is that both Hinsdale and Winnetka for the most part are non-Jewish, whereas Glencoe is heavily Jewish. This would be an advantage for you if you were Jewish and wanted a good school/synagague support system for your kids. I'm sure that all three have great programs for families and kids, in my town, we enjoy a great 4th of July parade and bands each Thursday during the summer in the main park.

Can't go wrong with any of them; I'm sure that you might have a hard time deciding, good luck with your search. I would visit all three to see what you think and feel for yourself.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Default Metra!

All three towns in question are serviced by Metra, our commuter rail service here in Chicagoland. I would highly recommend considering Metra for your commute, given your job will be in the Loop. The train cars are comfortable, with rush hour "quiet cars," power outlets and bathrooms available. The Hinsdale line (BNSF) empties into the Union Station hub, while Winnetka and Glencoe (UP-N) will empty into the Ogilivie Station hub: Metra System Map. Both hubs are in the greater West Loop area, and are about a 5-10 minute walk to most parts of the central Loop.

I would also highly recommend keeping in mind the location of each town's Metra station when deciding "where" -- being able to walk over from your new home on a nice day is usually seen as big plus. As far as parking at each station... availability varies greatly, and you'll probably want to get the opinion of a "local expert" in each town. I live in beautiful Wheaton (central DuPage, UP-W line) and there are garage and surface lot options, split between monthly permit spots and daily paid spots. The monthly permits are $20/month, but there is a waiting list, and the daily paid spots are $1.50/day. I never have trouble finding a daily paid spot when I need one. From speaking with other commuters, I think it is roughly the same story at all the stations, including those in Hinsdale, Winnetka and Glencoe. If you select a line from the link I provided above, then click the "Stations" tab at the top of the same frame, then select a town, you will see a "Parking Contact" phone number along with some other helpful info. Whoever picks up should be able to help you out with additional questions.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-10-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 AM

For location, I personally prefer the central convenience that Hinsdale and other desirable DuPage towns provide. I don't think that the proximity to the lake in Winnetka or Glencoe offers up much of an advantage. With your budget you aren't going to be able to purchase a true lakefront property, and given that fact, you'll probably utilize the beach/water the same amount from any of the three towns. I know a good number of folks living "inland" in Winnetka and the North Shore, and they are at the beach or out on the lake about as much as I am -- and I live in Wheaton. The advantage of lake proximity really can be boiled down to a status symbol, and not much else.

On county v county: I like that you are already aware of the disastrous, decrepit situation in Cook. I don't know how much it should factor into the actual decision making process, but it's probably wise to keep in the back of your mind. If it was my family and in the end all three were just-so-evenly-matched, I'd probably give the nod to Hinsdale because of DuPage. Certainly the size and scope of Cook can make residents feel "small" with regard to affecting the political machine there.

It's akin to shopping decisions. On the one hand, you could shop at a failing conglomerate megachain store like Wal-Mart: where you are hopeless to get questions answered, lucky if you can talk to the entitled but powerless store manager, and have to watch your dollars go to who-knows-where. On the other hand, you could shop at a local mom-and-pop store: where everyone is friendly, you can strike up a conversation with the owner, and your money stays within your community. Make sense?

Also, for what it's worth, we pay about 1% less in sales tax in DuPage.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-10-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Utter nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Dupage county taxes are higher. I'll let others explain why. I would not buy in Dupage just because you hear about all the political wangering about budgets, its a never ending saga....Each suburb is lovely and has older homes, not Mc Mansions but I do think Hinsdale has a fair amount of tear downs where new houses have been built and some might consider those McMansions. The north shore has the lake true but Hinsdale has some beautiful natural areas and forest preserves near it. Even though its called "the northshore", its not referred to as "the shore" here. Its "the lake". As far as the terrain, Illinois is very flat so I don't think you will have a problem with that. Most back yards are very flat and basements are mostly underground save for some small windows that peep out at the ceiling level. As far as walkable, it depends on where you live...if you have a house near the downtown area of each town, it may be possible to walk to stores, etc. Each area you mention is very safe so I don't think you have to worry about that. If you have a pitbull, you probably won't be the most popular family...make sure you can get a place that allows a fence and check ordinances regarding them. Oh, Glencoe has a large Jewish population if that matters to you.
First though historically (I mean like going back to the Eisenhower adminstration) some North Shore towns had restrictions against people joining country clubs and even moving into certain subdivisions if they were Jewish. Glencoe was a notable exception to this. That said, there is not much of that left anywhere. It is foolish in 2014 to perpetuate attitudes that have mostly died out a generation ago.

Secondly, anyone that does not understand the drivers of real estate taxes ought not comment on them lest they mislead others. The amount of one's tax bill attributable to any county is pretty insignificant. The fact is DuPage Co. is run by very fiscally reponsible elected leaders and has reduced their levy. Anybody that does not know that will likely not be a good source of information. In contrast Cook Co., which included Chicago and many other crime ridden areas, is facing run away costs for it courts / jail / sheriff and general operation on top of years of blatant corruption.

The relative amount of commercial property, the revenues from local retail businesses and the general value of housing have a bigger impact on one's real estate bills. Most of the taxes go toward the support of schools. Glencoe & Winnetka are served by New Trier and relatively small inefficient elementary school districts that results in a higher total tax rate compared to Hinsdale which feeds into Hinsdale Central High School and the rather effiencent D181 elementary school. It is very likely that in the OP's price range the real estate taxes in Hinsdale will be the same or lower than Glencoe or Winnetka. The fact is a signficant portion of Hinsdale is in fact inside Cook Co and the taxes are not signficantly lower than the rest of village in DuPage Co.

As to the style of homes that the OP might find in Hinsdale I have no doubt that they will have a larger selection of newer homes with deep basements, full sized windows designed for safe egress, flat lots and the other amenities / styles that buyers find desirable. I would also be sure to include Clarendon Hills when searching for homes in Hinsdale as most of that area is also served by the excellent D181 schools and Hinsdale Central High. Prices are mostly similar.

I would also tell the OP that service to the Loop via the BNSF Metra is generally swifter and more frequent from Hinsdale / Clarendon Hills (that together have four stops to choose from) compare to UP-North Metra service.

I would caution that in the OP's price range there are some homes in desirable towns like Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton or Naperville however as the total range of homes in those towns is more biased toward the lower prices the tax rate will be higher and the bill due annually could be much higher. I would recommend the OP utilize a site like Redfin.com to compare homes but I have no doubt that they will find some homes with property taxes under $30k annually and others nearer to $50k with a similar selling price...

Finally I would take some time to visit each town. I have no doubt that the more active central downtown of Hinsdale or Clarendon Hills, with its nice range of shops, excellent library, parks, community pool, walkable and non-walled off layout will be far more appealing to a stay-at-home with little ones. The fact is the tiny slivers of public access availble to North Shore residents is overwhelmed by the mostly secured compounds that blockade other residents in mere 7 figure homes vs the 8+ figure estates. Similarly there are "blink and you'll miss it" tiny retail options so the ability to get to know anyone is much more constrained..l

Old 08-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would caution that in the OP's price range there are some homes in desirable towns like Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton or Naperville however as the total range of homes in those towns is more biased toward the lower prices the tax rate will be higher and the bill due annually could be much higher....
I don't fully agree with this argument. Tax rates and assessments are a fickle thing, and over-generalizations like "taxes on big homes in Wheaton will be higher than in Hinsdale" doesn't paint a proper picture of the overlap that is often present.

For instance, this beautiful Wheaton home, listed at $2mil, is across from the prestigious Chicago Golf Club (the first 18-hole golf club in America, and a worldwide top-100 course) and carries a tax bill of just $27k/year:
701 Plamondon Road WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

Meanwhile, this sharp centrally-located home in Hinsdale, also listed at $2mil, carries a tax bill of $34k/year:
116 W. 2nd Street HINSDALE, IL 60521 | Redfin

On average you may be right, but the differences are not so great as to exclude Wheaton and other towns solely based on taxes.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-10-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Chet are you saying that the property taxes in Dupage county are lower? Its always been my impression that they are higher than taxes in crook county but that may have changed.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The tax rates set by levy for the operation of Cook Co are considerably higher than the taxes for the operation of DuPage Co.. That is a fact.

The issue, however, is what any individual tax bill will be and as hworth points out there is wide variation so that generalizations are difficult to make and many exceptions to those generalizations means smart shoppers will check not only the taxes on the house they are considering purchasing but also a variety of similarly priced nearby homes so that there is no surprise.

BTW Here is a lower priced home near the first Wheaton home with a higher property tax bill -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/25W.../home/18125910

and a SIGNIFICANTLY more costly home with a lower property tax bill in Hinsdale http://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/42.../home/18021028

OP asked about Glencoe, this is pretty typical -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Glencoe/374.../home/13791596

Winnetka -- This is particularly large lot but not atypical taxes -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Winnetka/40.../home/13782572 a little better deal: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Winnetka/4.../home/13783004

Rule of thumb -- in the OP's budget they better be prepared to fork well over $30K annually for property taxes...

Last edited by chet everett; 08-10-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 PM

33 posts, read 73,716 times
Hi Sandysprings,

I grew up on the North Shore and now live here as an adult with my own children. From what you have said, I would recommend Winnetka over Glencoe. Personally, I have found Winnetka to be a bit more friendly and welcoming than Glencoe. Winnetka also might have a larger housing stock to choose from as it's slightly larger than Glencoe. Another town to consider is Wilmette. Glencoe, Winnetka, and Wilmette all have walkable downtown areas and excellent schools. They all feed into New Trier High School. Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience with Hinsdale so I cannot help with that. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the North shore. Best of luck with your house hunt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs