Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:36 AM

26 posts, read 31,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
You mentioned working at a restaurant, if you are depending on mostly tips for income I would stick to north and northwest downtown neighborhoods. I'm sure others here have more experience with fine dining than I, but that seems like a safe bet. Then your family can stop by your place of employment to enjoy a night out or whatever. More going on for singles than out in the burbs, aka the dead zone. LOL

NW Indiana is reachable within an hour of downtown Chi-town, Valpo (Valparaiso) has a very cute downtown, family-oriented college town. You might like that scene if you are used to more rural surroundings. Nice combo of city and country, if you live in the downtown, close to beach too.
No, chief. I am not much of a waiter haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:49 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
When you said close to Chicago I was thinking like Forest Park, because Oak Park though nice would be out of your price range. Some of the area you mentioned and getting thrown around are quite far from Chicago. To clarify are you looking for an inner suburb ring or do you midn truly being in the suburbs or are you looking for something much closer to chicago while safe and still having sort of a suburban/urban feel and easy access to the city. I have some family in Melrose Park, Elmwood Park, etc.. I like Elmwood Park over Melrose Park, I personally though I dont know a ton about it think of Melrose Park as being kinda going downhill, though they do still have a cool Italian fest in teh summer. Forest Park is another option if you stay on the right end of Harlem. Really depends on how close you want to be to the city, if you want train access, house or condo, etc. I'm currently looking in Forest Park, still sorta up and comming and there are some sketchy area but its close to the city, probably the best nightlife and city feel while not being in the city.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
When you said close to Chicago I was thinking like Forest Park, because Oak Park though nice would be out of your price range. Some of the area you mentioned and getting thrown around are quite far from Chicago. To clarify are you looking for an inner suburb ring or do you midn truly being in the suburbs or are you looking for something much closer to chicago while safe and still having sort of a suburban/urban feel and easy access to the city. I have some family in Melrose Park, Elmwood Park, etc.. I like Elmwood Park over Melrose Park, I personally though I dont know a ton about it think of Melrose Park as being kinda going downhill, though they do still have a cool Italian fest in teh summer. Forest Park is another option if you stay on the right end of Harlem. Really depends on how close you want to be to the city, if you want train access, house or condo, etc. I'm currently looking in Forest Park, still sorta up and comming and there are some sketchy area but its close to the city, probably the best nightlife and city feel while not being in the city.
My uncle lives within the city limits and he is only a 15 - 20 minute drive from Niles. Downtown is quiet a drive especially in traffic but I have no plans on going downtown every day. Maybe when I want to see a couple family members that live near Soldier Field and if I want to walk around and do some shopping there. Other than that the Northern part of Chicago (Niles) will be the area that I will be spending most of my time, unless I end up in northwestern Indiana.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM

9 posts, read 15,821 times
I live in Niles and I gotta say that with your budget, it will be impossible to find a 2 bed Single Family home for $200K. Maybe a townhome or a 2 bed condo, but not single family. For $250K you will find a tiny ranch that needs to have everything updated because of the original condition. The property taxes are ridiculous here as well. Its a safe area and well kept, and the proximity to downtown is great, but it is very expensive to live here. Our home is only 950 sq.ft. and we paid around $300K with only 2 beds. Our backyard is almost non-existent. Due to the high cost of living and piles of snow in the winter, we are looking to relocate to the Houston area. You get more bang for your buck anywhere besides Illinois. If you don't mind sitting in your car, Northwest Indiana may not be so bad...

Old 09-29-2014, 06:53 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreg View Post
I am currently looking into moving near the Chicago area. I have around $200,000 to spend for a minimum 2 bedroom house. Now this is obviously nowhere near enough to live in an area like Edison Park or anywhere relatively close to Chicago. Essentially I want to live within 50 minutes of the greater Chicago area. I have family that lives in Niles, Forest Glen, and Melrose Park as well as throughout the state of Illinois. I don't want ask them this question because I sort of want this to be a surprise.

So what area's/neighborhood's would you suggest I look into that are cheap (by Illinois standards) and are safe?

By the way, being born and raised in Florida, I am still not sure how much $200,000 can get me in Illinois.

I hope you can help, Thanks!
What do you mean "by Chicago". Do you mean like inner ring suburbs, AKA suburbs that are either bordering or are only roughly 2-5 miles away from the city limits? Oak Park may be good for you, or if you are on a budget and schools aren't important, Forest Park would be a more affordable alternative.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
He said he wants to be within 50 minutes of the greater Chicago area. This to me does NOT mean inner-ring suburbs.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annam726 View Post
I live in Niles and I gotta say that with your budget, it will be impossible to find a 2 bed Single Family home for $200K. Maybe a townhome or a 2 bed condo, but not single family. For $250K you will find a tiny ranch that needs to have everything updated because of the original condition. The property taxes are ridiculous here as well. Its a safe area and well kept, and the proximity to downtown is great, but it is very expensive to live here. Our home is only 950 sq.ft. and we paid around $300K with only 2 beds. Our backyard is almost non-existent. Due to the high cost of living and piles of snow in the winter, we are looking to relocate to the Houston area. You get more bang for your buck anywhere besides Illinois. If you don't mind sitting in your car, Northwest Indiana may not be so bad...
I'm most certainly not expecting a big 2,000 square foot home, I'm also not looking to live in Niles because of the price. However, there are neighborhoods within 30 minutes of Niles that are within my price range.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,798 times
Forest Park and Berwyn would keep you close to Chicago and have a few great deals if you are patient and look....... Schools aren't great (but you don't care, and so property taxes lower), but lively urban suburbs with good expressway access and public transportation to Chicago. Remember, property taxes will be a lot higher here than what you are used to, so make sure you account for that.

Maybe suburbs/areas straight north of these towns if you want even closer to Niles like Elmwood Park. Melrose Park... But you should be talking to your family members that live there.

But if I were you I would rent for sure. Your financial/job situation is in flux, you are looking lower end for the area, and you don't know the area well. What's the hurry? Rent..... It may make financial sense for you anyway.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Forest Park and Berwyn would keep you close to Chicago and have a few great deals if you are patient and look.......
Both have some houses under $200k. If safety is truly a top priority, neither one is really in the top quartile for safety, however. But neither one is really a dangerous area either.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreg View Post
I'm most certainly not expecting a big 2,000 square foot home, I'm also not looking to live in Niles because of the price. However, there are neighborhoods within 30 minutes of Niles that are within my price range.
Morton Grove, Des Plaines, and Rolling Meadows are closer and more convenient to Niles. I don't know why people keep trying to steer you in strange directions too far west or south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs