Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:17 PM

23 posts, read 32,655 times

Advertisements

The suburbs in Chicago are extremely far out. It can take more than an 2 hours just to get to downtown Chicago from the suburbs.

In Cleveland, 30 minutes tops will get you to downtown from the outer suburbs.

That, and the fact that most suburbs in Chicago are developed by one builder who builds the same house design over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandskyMan View Post
The suburbs in Chicago are extremely far out. It can take more than an 2 hours just to get to downtown Chicago from the suburbs.

That, and the fact that most suburbs in Chicago are developed by one builder who builds the same house design over and over.
Two hours?? Most suburbs are inside of 40 minutes to the Loop. I mean, is Rockford a suburb now?? Even so, that can often be under 2 hours to the Loop.

Most suburbs are developed by one builder?? Do you realize that "most suburbs" means literally hundreds of towns, comprising of millions of people, that were built-out over the last 200 years?? Sheesh, talk about overgeneralizing.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-24-2014 at 11:48 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 01:08 AM

14 posts, read 19,939 times
Thoughts on Sandburg/Stagg HS areas? I gather it is undergoing demographic change like much of the Southside burbs but we have friends there who swear it's a good family area to buy property in.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Last weekend, my wife and I drove to Indiana for some apple picking with our toddler. En route we had an interesting conversation about the contrasting real estate along 88 and 294. The glittering high-rise offices of 88, stretching from Oak Brook in the east to Aurora in the west, stand in stark contrast to the endless manufacturing plants, warehouses and logistic centers along 294, from 55 in the north to 80 in the south. These stretches of highway are microcosms that more-or-less represent the major differences in regional employment.

And therein lies the advantage of living along the Illinois Technology and Research Corridor (west), Illinois Golden Corridor (northwest) or Lakeshore Corridor (north). It’s all about making sure your investment will have the widest number of buyers when it comes time to resell. When you’re investing in a $450k home, those future buyers will be of the white-collar variety. The problem with the southwest suburbs is the severe lack of local white-collar employment. The only buyers left for upscale Orland-type spots are those corporate folks who commute to Chicago for work. A very narrow market when compared to other regions supported by both employment in Chicago and employment along a nearby corridor. More buyers will tend to drive up prices; an absence of buyers will see prices fall.

Couple these demographic issues with the fact that towns like Orland Park and Palos Park are 'bedroom communities' in the purest sense of the phrase, and you have a perfect recipe for home price depreciation. Most of the south and southwest suburbs, which were hurriedly built-out during the housing boom, lack the downtown districts and central gathering places of their historic neighbors to the west and north. Low on charm and walkability, high on cookie-cutter subdivisions and car-dependent strip malls… these are the things that make 2014 families cringe. And I’m not just blowing smoke: all of Chicagoland saw home prices fall dramatically during the housing crisis -- the problem has been with the recovery. While home prices are nearing '06-'07 highs in the western, northwestern and northern suburbs, they've barely come off their lows in the south and southwest. The only exception might be Frankfort.

Regarding Stagg and Sandburg: I would stay away from Stagg altogether. The slide has already begun and the test scores reflect the trend. The most recent data shows Stagg scoring only slightly above the state average on the PSAE: AMOS ALONZO STAGG HIGH SCHOOL (9-12) Academic Progress | Illinois Report Card. Sandburg is still a great school – just spend some time in Orland Park first, and know what you’re getting into. I know the appeal of big house for small money can be great, but remember the old mantra: location, location, location.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-25-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 01:26 PM

Final thoughts, guys (and thanks again for all the responses). Best affordable place to:

-Commute to downtown
-Send daughter to public HS
-Be able to walk/let wife & daughter walk at night
-Under 450k purchase or 2000/mo rent
-... And maybe even be able to walk to a 'local' tavern myself for a pint or two

Also, I will throw this out there. Grew up in an area with lots of cops and firefighters (my two best friends growing up joined PD & FD) in Cleveland and it keeps the neighborhood safe so something like that is a plus.

Cheers

Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM

I'll throw Wheaton out there again, although many other suburbs would fit the bill as well: Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Naperville, Mt. Prospect, Palatine, Park Ridge and La Grange Park to name a few.

Wheaton has two outstanding high schools and is frequently ranked as one of the safest cities in America. I would link to the list, but it's on a competitor's website. Just Google "Top 100 Safest Cities in the U.S." Wheaton is ranked number 51. Even on City-Data, the numbers show that Wheaton is the safest city of its size in all of Illinois.

With $450k you could buy a home that is walking distance to downtown pubs where you could grab a pint or two after work. There is even a microbrewery opening in a couple months. Your wife and daughter could safely walk (even at night) to local eateries, bakeries or boutiques.

Regarding PD & FD: Wheaton is home to excellent police and fire departments, and because of the town's position as the 'county seat' of DuPage, it is also home the 'home base' for officers of the DuPage County Sheriff's Department. I see nearly as many County Sheriff's on patrol as I do local Wheaton officers. Certainly adds to overall safety of the community.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks H. You have been a great resource. Bookmarked the properties you referred to earlier.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Romney View Post
Commute to downtown
-Send daughter to public HS
-Be able to walk/let wife & daughter walk at night
-Under 450k purchase or 2000/mo rent
-... And maybe even be able to walk to a 'local' tavern myself for a pint or two
I have all of these things in Glen Ellyn, and I think nearly every town we have recommended also has these things--though some would be a struggle to stay in budget. If you feel like you are focusing in on anything specific, let me know and I can give more details. I feel like you may still be casting a pretty wide net at this point, but this will get easier as you start to narrow things down a bit. Chicagoland has something like 300 distinct suburbs, so hopefully we have at least given you a starting point. Also, if you start to see some houses and neighborhoods you like using realty web sites or Google Maps, we might be able to find a similar area.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Two hours?? Most suburbs are inside of 40 minutes to the Loop. I mean, is Rockford a suburb now?? Even so, that can often be under 2 hours to the Loop.

Most suburbs are developed by one builder?? Do you realize that "most suburbs" means literally hundreds of towns, comprising of millions of people, that were built-out over the last 200 years?? Sheesh, talk about overgeneralizing.
Agreed. That was a ridiculous post. (Clevelandskyman, not you!)

Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandskyMan View Post

That is absolutely ridiculous. lol

Im sorry, man, but really? I hope noone takes you seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs