Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,772 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First time posting here. I am a 19 year old student and could potentially be working about 5 miles northeast of Morris/20 miles southwest of Joliet. I'd like to keep the commute shorter if possible so western or south Joliet area. The position would be for 8 months or so from Jan15-Aug15. I know nothing about the area as I am from Minnesota. I'm looking for a studio/1 bedroom apartment hopefully around $500/month but for sure under $600/month. I'm wondering if anybody can suggest a city/town for me to look further into or maybe even a specific complex. I'd say safe area is the 1st priority. Then it's proximity to essential stores like grocery stores or Target. Being close to "Nightlife" really isn't important, cause well I will know 0 people. What other factors to housing location are there to consider. Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:29 AM

53 posts, read 65,853 times
You can live in Morris for that price. Check the Joliet Herald and Morris Daily Herald

Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
I know you don't know anyone yet but you may want some nightlife and stuff down the road or may want to mak some friends. At the very least you may want to take advantage of being relatively close to Chicago and go to the city. I'm not super familiar with JOliet area but plainfield isn't that far and plainfield has a halfway decent downtown plus your not too far from downtown Naperville and a bit closer to Chicago. I imagine traffic going to work for you shouldn't be too bad so I wouldn't worry about being super close to work. You may also want to consider Bolingbrook as well.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,237 times
Hmmm - the apartment search may be a little tricky since Morris is kinda far out there. I'd recommend checking out New Lenox - you can commute via I-80, which isn't bad. New Lenox has a Target, grocery stores, movie theater, new gym being built and a Portillos (a must while you're in Chicago!). Another option would be Orland Park, further commute, but definitely more apartment options. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:53 AM

53 posts, read 65,853 times
I am a 19 year old student and could potentially be working about 5 miles northeast of Morris/20 miles southwest of Joliet-----Why not live in Morris?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,911 times
If living in a safe area is your first priority, then I wouldn't live in Joliet. The surrounding towns are all very safe (New Lenox, Plainfield, Mokena, Frankfort, Manhattan, Minooka, Channahan), but I'm fairly sure you aren't going to find an apartment under $600 a month. You might have to search for roommate advertisements.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:37 AM

172 posts, read 316,240 times
Take al look at frankfort, it's about 30 min straight east of joilet on i-80 . Very safe, all the stores U mentioned, metra access to downtown Chicago via mokena , has its own downtown with a lot of activities. I think as already mentioned new lenox , mokena, would also be safe choices.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
Hi Mike - Im a young adult in Joliet and work over in the Channahon/Morris area at the chemical plants. I was randomly searching this site for something else and figured id chime in. If you're that close to Morris my advice is to stay there in the Morris/Channahon/Minooka area. Leaving Joliet/Plainfield, youll lose the suburban feel and what comes with it, which could be a good thing to some. I need the amenities of a suburban area so Joliet it is. The west side of Joliet/Southern Plainfield is all newer and full of young families in their new homes where I live. It was one of the fastest growing areas in the country until the housing crisis so properties there are really cheap the developers could never sell. The downtown/east side of joliet is diverse. Its a 25-30 minute drive to the main exit in Morris rt47 off I80. In your temporary situation, find a place in Morris. If you want to visit the city, drive over to Joliet or Orland and hop on the train for $5. You wont be thrilled to go farther east than Joliet. Construction traffic will be awful in the spring. I80, I55 and the interchange at I55/Rt6 will all be torn up. Good luck best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs