Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 11:21 PM

367 posts, read 490,961 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a house and was wondering what are the signs that a house has flooded before? I am looking at some homes in park ridge and know that area has some flood problems. Obviously I would hire an inspector to look at the house before buying, but is there anything I could look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,896,337 times
Part of this depends on what you mean by "flooded". Many, many houses have had water in the basement during bad storms, but have never been submerged by any floodwater. In fact, most houses that are older have at least minor seepage issues during major rain events, even if it's just dampness or puddles.

You can fairly easily tell where river flooding is an issue by looking at flood maps. Additionally, you can often find media accounts of major flood events.

Urban runoff is a more common flooding problem, however, and it can be hard to tell what areas will have problems with stormwater. I tend to look at site contours and elevations, but that is difficult in a metro area that is mostly flat.

Sometimes you can see signs of previous water in the basement. If cardboard boxes are stored on the floor, do they have water lines? Are there other signs that water was present? Homeowners are supposed to disclose water in basements when they sell, but many ignore minor issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs