Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Living in Batavia I'm able to get to O'Hare fairly quickly...
Batavia is definitely the best out of the bunch because of it's proximity to I-88, but it's still a 38-mile trip. Geneva and St. Charles are about the same distance, but more of the commute would be on surface streets. How long does it typically take you from Batavia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
There's not any christian schools around Batavia. The nearest one would be in Naperville but it's a half an hour away. They also have to be within a reasonable distance from a christian school too along with O'hare

Old 12-19-2014, 01:56 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Wheaton has just about everything you can imagine under the sun. Shops restaurants golf courses, sports parks, you name it. Glen elllyn too. Even though they are different towns they are very close together it it takes five minutes literally to get to one from another.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 25,844 times
This is all great information. Are there safety concerns in any of these towns? Assuming when people talk West Chicago issues; they are likely referrring to immediately West of the city? Also throwing it out there. The more I read about NWI the more intrituing it becomes. Given the taxes in Illinois, has there been growth in NWI? nice homes, property taxes are less than one percent and state income tax is lower. Are the state taxes in Illinois fixed at 5% any chance that will increase/decrease?

Thanks!!! and this forum is a great source of information!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nector View Post
This is all great information. Are there safety concerns in any of these towns?
No.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Batavia is definitely the best out of the bunch because of it's proximity to I-88, but it's still a 38-mile trip. Geneva and St. Charles are about the same distance, but more of the commute would be on surface streets. How long does it typically take you from Batavia?
45-50 during rush hour. 35-40 during non-traffic times. Then again I live on an extreme edge of the city where I'm basically in Aurora and four/five minutes from the highway itself.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM

397 posts, read 602,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nector View Post
This is all great information. Are there safety concerns in any of these towns? Assuming when people talk West Chicago issues; they are likely referrring to immediately West of the city? Also throwing it out there. The more I read about NWI the more intrituing it becomes. Given the taxes in Illinois, has there been growth in NWI? nice homes, property taxes are less than one percent and state income tax is lower. Are the state taxes in Illinois fixed at 5% any chance that will increase/decrease?

I would not want to commute to O'Hare from NWI. I used to drive to Indianapolis for work frequently and traffic was always very heavy on 80 and often was backed up at the interchange with 65. Also, they seem to get more snow than the rest of the Chicago metro because of the lake effect.

I don't think you can escape Illinois income taxes by living in Indiana. Income taxes are based on where you work.

There are no real safety concerns in any of the nicer towns along the 88 corridor. There are apartment complexes in the area and some of them are low income. I'm sure when people talk about "west Chicago" crime, they are referring to the west side of Chicago which is a terrible neighborhood. However, it is probably 20 - 30 miles from the suburbs you are considering in DuPage county. There is absolutely no connection between the western Chicago ghettos and what we call the "western suburbs" of Chicago except perhaps at the border of the city and Oak Park. Don't worry about it because Oak Park is definitely not the suburb for you.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:29 PM

111 posts, read 223,624 times
I would seriously look at Elmhurst and Timothy Christian School. Elmhurst is a MUCH shorter commute to O'Hare than Wheaton. You can still buy a new home in your price range. The public schools are excellent, there are plenty of Christian Churches, kids activities, very family friendly...

Old 12-22-2014, 10:18 AM

15 posts, read 25,844 times
Thanks to everyone that has posted. Regarding Elmhurst and other suburbs around that area. Outside of proximity to Ohare- how do they compare to the family oriented towns of Wheaton et al that have been discussed in this post? thank you!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Elmhurst is a nice, safe suburb with good public schools. It has a really nice downtown area with restaurants and a renovated movie theater. It's probably a bit more expensive and compact than Wheaton, which spreads out pretty far from the older downtown area. Wheaton probably has a larger average home size and lot size.

Elmhurst also has a Christian college in the center of town, but it's run by the United Church of Christ, which is quite a bit more lenient than the group that runs Wheaton College.

I would definitely take a look at Elmhurst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs