Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 77,924 times

Advertisements

I lived in the city for 10 years, have been away on the east coast for years, and am now moving back. I'm curious to get a range of opinions. What are the pros and cons of the Western burbs vs. the North Shore?

For clarity's sake, let's compare Evanston/Wilmette to Hinsdale/La Grange.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks- one of those is helpful but always eager for more updated, specific info.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
We struggled with that question too very recently – loved highland park. Ultimately decided on western burbs/LG.

Western Burbs are very central to IL and airports - (we both work on clients all over IL and out of state/so this is a major Pro)
North Shore was not beachy enough for us - (at least not according to our definition of beach feel)
Western Burbs (at least LG/OP) had most virbrant core - (North Shores were a little too sleepy for us)
North Shore temps are cooler (for some this is ok/desirable)

This should be another exciting thread where the North Shores versus West fight it out again…

Old 01-13-2015, 02:34 PM

Apparently this is a heated debate but I guess I'm new to it. Read some other threads that ultimately devolved into attacks so hopefully this one will be better.

From what I've read on here, some say the Western burbs are less cultured, less exciting, and more typical (stereotypical?) sprawling burbs. The North shore is older (in terms of homes), more affluent, closer to the beach, easier to get into the city, and higher taxes.

Is that about right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
We struggled with that question too very recently – loved highland park. Ultimately decided on western burbs/LG.

Western Burbs are very central to IL and airports - (we both work on clients all over IL and out of state/so this is a major Pro)
North Shore was not beachy enough for us - (at least not according to our definition of beach feel)
Western Burbs (at least LG/OP) had most virbrant core - (North Shores were a little too sleepy for us)
North Shore temps are cooler (for some this is ok/desirable)

This should be another exciting thread where the North Shores versus West fight it out again…

Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,658 times
IMO (just my opinion) there is old money in the North Shores. But more younger (new) money is west. We visited the North Shores many times before making the decision and (outside Evanston) the rest are SLEEPY… Saturday 9PM everyone is in bed and cores are ghost towns…

I think if you want sprawling, Hinsdale can be just as BIG as North Shores and historic home ages are the same in both areas… For us to get to Union it’s a 17min express metra ride and airport also super easy access. To your Beach question – It’s not a beach town… Traverse City MI is a beach town…

Evanston, Oak Park, La Grange are definitely the more urban feeling towns.

Last edited by JJski; 01-13-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,085,322 times
North shore
-indeed very sleepy (except for Evanston) lots of stores close very early
-old money
-more expensive than the western suburbs (except Hinsdale is more expensive than a few north shore towns)
-many towns have a fair share of snobby and/or rude people
-schools perform higher overall
-a lot of Jewish people
-scenic with lots of trees, ravines, and Lake Michigan
West Suburbs
-easier access to most places in general because it's in the middle of the Chicago metro area
-some new money towns like Naperville
-still feels like a normal area in general that's still a nice area compared to a lot of other places
-more stores/restaurants/amenities

Old 01-13-2015, 03:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Thumbs up Not getting off to a good start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post
Apparently this is a heated debate but I guess I'm new to it. Read some other threads that ultimately devolved into attacks so hopefully this one will be better.If / when they devolve it is generally because of misinformation.

From what I've read on here, some say the Western burbs are less culturedOf course that ought not be perceived as judgemental in the least..., less excitingI see a devolution a comin' , and more typical (stereotypical?OW! ) sprawling burbs. The North shore is older (in terms of homes) Provably false... , more affluentDebateable... , closer to the beachDuh , easier to get into the cityOnly if you need to be in Rogers Park instead of some actual desirable part of Chicago , and higher taxes Mighty generous of ye... .

Is that about right?Accurate, in terms of what starts the war or accurate on the facts...

As the smileys hopefully suggest, there is a lot of good natured ribbing that those of us that defend the honor of the good people that travel via the BNSF or UP-W lines engage in when countering the the misinformation that drives folks to the North Shore.

If you start by saying "less cultured" and then I were to post page after page of wonderful events at the Krannert Center in Glen Ellyn or Paramount in Aurora or Elmhurst College or North Central College or Wheaton College or Concordia or the various museums, theatres and concert venues that is not really going to bolster your pre-formed misconceptions...

Excitment? Kenilworth? Glencoe? Paint drying, grass growing, be still my heart...

Right, right, right because it ain't like the Chicago grid itself continues UNBROKEN all the way PAST THE FOX RIVER but is all gummed up in towns up north that wanted to keep "the wrong element" from wandering in...

I don't want anything to devolve so

Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM

Oy. Yes, you're exactly right. I put a question up on a discussion board because I had set opinions that weren't going to change. You caught me! (I wish there was a sarcasm font).

As I've said, these are the stereotypes I've gleaned from this site and I was hoping to have a mature discussion about them but maybe that's asking too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As the smileys hopefully suggest, there is a lot of good natured ribbing that those of us that defend the honor of the good people that travel via the BNSF or UP-W lines engage in when countering the the misinformation that drives folks to the North Shore.

If you start by saying "less cultured" and then I were to post page after page of wonderful events at the Krannert Center in Glen Ellyn or Paramount in Aurora or Elmhurst College or North Central College or Wheaton College or Concordia or the various museums, theatres and concert venues that is not really going to bolster your pre-formed misconceptions...

Excitment? Kenilworth? Glencoe? Paint drying, grass growing, be still my heart...

Right, right, right because it ain't like the Chicago grid itself continues UNBROKEN all the way PAST THE FOX RIVER but is all gummed up in towns up north that wanted to keep "the wrong element" from wandering in...

I don't want anything to devolve so

Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
You're off to a bad start with your many misconceptions about the western suburbs.

The western suburbs that are along the Metra routes are very very old, and mostly feature houses from the early 1900's through the 1920's near the train stations. Away from the train lines, there is plenty of sprawl in both the north and western suburbs, though the lake provides a nice edge to development along the north.

I don't see how you can make any argument that the north shore is "more cultured". How exactly?

Outside of Evanston, there is very little excitement to be had in the sleepy north shore downtowns. Elmhurst, Naperville, and La Grange have a lot more options. Even the old church lady bastion of Wheaton offers more fun than downtown Glencoe, Winnetka, or Highland Park.

And access to the center of the city is much better from the west. The trains are faster and the distance is shorter. As I've pointed out before, La Grange is about the same distance from the Loop as Evanston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs