Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Quick friend, make the edits to fix that. I'll give you a hint, nothing between "Cicero" & "Coal City" in alphabetic order... Somehow it does not surprise that in running your little phony baloney scare site you also left off Glencoe, Lake Forest, Kennilworth and Winnetka.
Would a group of ruffians in Winnetka be called the "Cul-De-Sac Gang"?

I did hear of some hazing rituals going on with senior girls humiliating freshman girls in some exclusive North shore suburban high schools a few years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default The TOPIC was Forest Park...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Would a group of ruffians in Winnetka be called the "Cul-De-Sac Gang"?

I did hear of some hazing rituals going on with senior girls humiliating freshman girls in some exclusive North shore suburban high schools a few years ago...
I mention the possibility that chitownperson is actually running the site as a way to make the known presence of gangs in the town he often champions appear to effect "literally every town".

Forest Park is signficantly less troubled by gangs than other areas.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
I mention the possibility that chitownperson is actually running the site as a way to make the known presence of gangs in the town he often champions appear to effect "literally every town".

It's OK to laugh every now and then, though..

Not to be confused with Park Forest, that champion of postwar planned communities that has declined somewhat in recent years ( or so I've heard)...

Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You love to talk about kids using heroin in the burbs, almost to the point of taking delight. I can tell you I'd rather live next to a teenager snorting heroin alone in his bedroom than some gang members trafficking the drug--though in a perfect world, neither would exist.
On the contrary, I don't "love to talk about kids using heroin in the burbs", but I do bring it up from time to time, because certain people love to paint certain affluent suburbs in dupage and the north shore as perfect and superior to everywhere else. A few people use fear mongering to inform people asking about the inner ring suburbs, due to the proximity to the city, and big bad west side, while completely brushing off the "safety" concerns of their precious towns.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Quick friend, make the edits to fix that. I'll give you a hint, nothing between "Cicero" & "Coal City" in alphabetic order... Somehow it does not surprise that in running your little phony baloney scare site you also left off Glencoe, Lake Forest, Kennilworth and Winnetka.

Really this detour is silly. What ever "gang tagging" has been observed in a town like Forest Park is almost certainly "wanna be" behavior. The OP should not take the info on the "gang site" with any credibility.
Firstly, it's not my site. Secondly, posting the site was to show the subjectivity of information regarding "gangs" and "suburbs", in a similar way how people like you love to throw out suggestions that certain suburbs have gang problems, which is exactly what you did in this topic. You obviously missed the intention of the site if you thought it was meant to present credible information.

Last edited by chitownperson; 02-17-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Like I said, its not my site, but is a rather well known site that's existed for a very long time. i'm surprised you don't know it with your supposed infinite wisdom of all things Chicagoland. If you're questioning the credibility of the site, then obviously the information of whatever gangs are attached to the town I supposedly "champion" are equally as dubious as the presence of gangs in the town you "champion", or regarding this topic, Forest Park.

Nice backpedaling on your comment regarding Forest Park and gangs, but it's relatively meaningless.

Last edited by chitownperson; 02-17-2015 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 07:21 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I agree chitownperson. The real threat is drugs and the crime that brings along with it. That is an interesting website but it causes more questions than it answers. I can't figure out where these gangs might be in Wheaton because I've been living here since 1989 and never seen a hint of them. Of course that does not mean they don't exist.
I have a friend who has lived in a 2-flat in Wheaton near downtown for several years who is experiencing huge troubles with a relatively new tenant in her building. It's an adult father and son, druggies and alcoholics who threaten and harrass my friend. She's called the police several times. The cops have dealt with these guys quite a bit apparently. Nothing really seems to happen to improve her situation. She said her landlord is working to evict them, but she feels that she will be forced to move if nothing happens soon.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
On the contrary, I don't "love to talk about kids using heroin in the burbs", but I do bring it up from time to time, because certain people love to paint certain affluent suburbs in dupage and the north shore as perfect and superior to everywhere else. A few people use fear mongering to inform people asking about the inner ring suburbs, due to the proximity to the city, and big bad west side, while completely brushing off the "safety" concerns of their precious towns.
I often defend the inner ring suburbs, particularly Oak Park, Berwyn, and others that I have an affinity for. But I really don't think you can say that Berwyn is as safe as Wheaton or Naperville. It's really a fairly obvious difference to anyone who has spent a lot of time in both areas.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I often defend the inner ring suburbs, particularly Oak Park, Berwyn, and others that I have an affinity for. But I really don't think you can say that Berwyn is as safe as Wheaton or Naperville. It's really a fairly obvious difference to anyone who has spent a lot of time in both areas.
I've never said Berwyn is as safe as Wheaton or Naperville, but it's safer than what some people make it out to be. Sometimes people looking to move ask about places like Berwyn or Forest Park, and then you get some self proclaimed "expert" throwing out generalizations that residents have to be concerned out gangs, and the prospective resident writes it off as a gang infested danger zone... My gripe is that what's often various shades of grey is often painted as black and white by the few who don't live even close by. Everywhere has their pros and cons. I bring up drug abuse issues when these topic go towards "safety", because a major part of having a "safe" community is keeping kids safe. Kids are much more likely to be the victims of drug abuse in both Berwyn and Naperville than they are of some violent crime, yet that 'safety' issue is often over looked. There's often this mindset that if a family move further away from the city, they dont have to worry about the problems of the city, especially if they move to an affluent suburb... And while there is truth to that interms of property crime and violent crime, it often creates a false sense of security in terms of the potential issues a kid may get into.

Last edited by chitownperson; 02-18-2015 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default I guess if depends if the alleged drug dealer is your son vs the guy responsible for having all kinds of "visitors"...

Same story, two sides --

Residents Cheer As West Suburban Cops Bring Down Reputed Drug House
Quote:
“Residents started cheering the officers as they were walking the prisoners out to the squad cars,” Weitzel said. “An elderly resident called me personally to say that she knew drug activity was happening at the house but was afraid of retribution if she reported it to police.”
Three charged as SWAT team raids suspected drug house
Quote:
Karen Creedon said it was true that people were visiting the home late at night and for short visits, but said it was because her son had surgery recently and that his friends, many of whom, work until late at night, simply were coming to visit.
"Patrick had hernia surgery a couple weeks ago, and has been in the house for most of that time," Karen Creedon said. "His roommates say there have been a ton of visitors popping in and out to see him.
Sometimes I wonder if maybe some folks on these boards try too hard to come up with excuses ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs