Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 AM

7 posts, read 30,354 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving to Chicago in the next 15 days from NC Will be working in Lombad area . I am in mid 30 professional. Am ready to spend about 400k on housing. Most important consideration is a very good primary school for my 5 year old son. Am ready to live in a 15-20 Miles radius of lambard. I am from India so would not prefer a very conservative city if possible . I have read about Wheaton and like the schools there but am concerned that the I will be able to adapt to a conservative town like Wheaton . Can any suggest any alternatives .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:42 AM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Try Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, or Naperville. There is a considerable Indian population in Naperville, so you would be fine there, but you shouldn't have a problem in any of these towns.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Lombard and the surrounding towns are all worth checking out. Wheaton, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst,St Charles and Geneva are wonderful communities, but you may find more housing choices in your price range in Downers or Lombard itself. I dont know why you think there would be problams in a "conservative" area. There are many people from India all over Chicago and its suburbs.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 AM

216 posts, read 723,583 times
NaNannie is on point. There are Indian populations all over the Chicago area. There are some magnificent worhip sites I have seen in the western suburbs also. You should be happy in any of the above mentioned suburbs. Dupage county has good schools througout. You are buying at a very good time and should be able to find a nice home (maybe not huge) for 400k. Browse through some realtor websites for some ideas.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the information . Does anyone know about the elementary schools in Wheaton/lombard or naperville

Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 PM

61 posts, read 179,334 times
Newsflash!!!!!!!!! Conservatives are not racists.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:32 AM

216 posts, read 723,583 times
Your in good shape with all three. You can browse the GreatSchools.net website to see comments and a grade for any school. You can also check out and compare schools at the illinois report card site: Interactive Illinois Report Card. Check out the student/teacher ratio and especially the scatterplot comparisons. You also want to know what they spend per pupil and if that money is spent wisely. Once you narrow down and area, look school by school. My best advice is to visit a school in the area you find a desired home. Meet the Principal and office staff. Ask for a tour. Great schools have a clean, safe environment. Children's work is displayed throughout the building. People are smiling in the best schools (Did the school secretary smile and speak kindly to the young boy that came in with a note?) and you see kids actively engaged (Do they look excited to learn?). You will also be able to see the diversity that the report cards don't show. Remember that "caucasian" may not tell you that their are many Polish, Ukranian, or Russian immigrants. "Asian/Pacific Islander" is extremely broad. Witness the diversity for yourself. Also be careful not to put too much emphasis on only test scores. They give part of the picture. Some districts have gone to completely teaching for the ISAT test which is making them show great scores, but authentic and meaningful learning is absent. All-in-all, look at the total picture.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 PM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmi605 View Post
Also be careful not to put too much emphasis on only test scores. They give part of the picture. Some districts have gone to completely teaching for the ISAT test which is making them show great scores, but authentic and meaningful learning is absent.
Just my opinion, but I find this to be an odd statement.

In my experience, the exact opposite is true. Schools and school districts with consistently high test scores across all grade levels are the ones where you'll find authentic and meaningful learning in full force. The schools that have disappointing test scores are the ones most likely to succumb to the 'teach to the test' mode of operation in an attempt to bolster their sagging reputations.

Anyone else have experience with this? Please share your opinions.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartthrower View Post
Newsflash!!!!!!!!! Conservatives are not racists.

No, they are not and I don't think that is what the OP was trying to suggest; however, conservatives are not always as welcoming to people of different faiths as other areas. I'm not trying to start a war about whether or not you are open to other faiths or whether Wheaton is, but do understand what the OP is saying. My boyfriend is Indian and experienced discrimination in some of the burbs before, so I feel that the posts that suggest that any suburb is fine are mistaken.

I would highly suggest Naperville. My boyfriend's family lives there and they really enjoy it and there is a large Indian population. Downers Grove and Schamburg are other good options (but Naperville and Downers Grove are closer).

Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 AM

I have no intention to start a debate on conservative's view or rascism. Just want to ensure that when I walk over into the downtown the people should be welcoming . I really like the Emerson school( at least what i have read in the internet ) and definetely Wheaton has cheaper houses and nearer to my workplace, just this thought is what is concerning me. Will people be welcoming to me and especially my son as we are a first generation immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs