Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 01:35 PM

35 posts, read 71,178 times

Advertisements

Our sump pump discharges onto the lawn through a pop-up emitter. However, the ground gets quite soggy around the emitter this time of year. We were thinking about installing a dry well (basically a pit to disperse the water vs. having it flow onto the lawn). Wondering if anyone has had luck with this or another approach?

Thx for any recos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 03:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
That's an option but what about a french drain to channel water away from house?-

Old 04-12-2015, 03:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Freezing not good for "dry well"....

Flamdiddle's solution is generally superior in our climate.

Longer runs of perforated PVC can be laid out so water "weeps out" into a more widely distributed area.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:40 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I also have this problem, but instead of a buried outlet my sump discharges above grade and flows across my lawn, down to the sidewalk, and creates a serious ice problem at certain times of year.

The perforated PVC would also have a pop-up emitter on the end of it, correct?

I'm considering this solution, but putting the drain where my sump discharge hits the lawn. The drain would be connected to a run of perforated PVC and gravel, and would have the pop-up emitter on the end. I worry that if I bury my discharge that it will too easily backup in to the house.

The big-box home stores sell all of the "kit of parts", so I'm considering doing this myself.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:29 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The pop-up is not really needed if you have sufficiently long run of the perforated PVC...

The situation described, where the discharge flows across the sidewalk and freezes, needs to be addressed. Ideally you can burrow under the sidewalk and have discharge that would flow over the curb into a storm sewer...

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The big-box home stores sell all of the "kit of parts", so I'm considering doing this myself.
Tempting to save money, but I've learned there are some things better left to the pros. I decided to take the DIY route with my drainage issue. Didn't seem like that big of a deal and I figured we'd have it done in a weekend. A month later... we finally finished. At one point, I was up to my shoulders in a trench because of the grade that needed to be maintained to keep water flowing. The worst part was that I "assumed" I remembered where the power line was located. I left a friend digging while I went to Home Depot to pick up a pick axe. When I returned, he says, hey, I found your power line! Number one, I was glad he was still alive, number two, he luckily did not cut into the line. Anyway, the pipe didn't have enough capacity so I ended up hiring someone to redo it and I had them more than double the capacity. Working like a champ now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs