Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh27 View Post
So did the bobcat get to go outside or was it strictly indoors? I can't believe there was any intact upholstery in the house.

I am imagining it swimming around in that pool...
The cat was in the house each time we visited. It was huge, scary, and did its biz wherever it wanted.

Animal control finally came and captured the wild beast and he is now on display at Wheaton's Cosley Zoo. Just kidding of course. But there is a pair of bobcats there.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-27-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Wow $7k taxes are a lot for that house.
Compared to where? Don't you live in Deerfield? Similarly priced homes in Deerfield of a similar era and size have taxes over $8k.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I found this old 1997 article about "urban pioneers" (does anyone use that term any more?) supposedly trying to "gentrify" outer cities like Joliet and Aurora. You should contact the homeowners in the article and see how they are doing now 18 years later.

Gentrifying Trend Hits Old Suburbs - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 04-27-2015, 02:37 PM

226 posts, read 381,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I found this old 1997 article about "urban pioneers" (does anyone use that term any more?) supposedly trying to "gentrify" outer cities like Joliet and Aurora. You should contact the homeowners in the article and see how they are doing now 18 years later.

Gentrifying Trend Hits Old Suburbs - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
Thanks for this, I'd give anything to actually talk to someone who lives in these areas. I just compared Joliet stats to Raleigh, NC (where I've lived before) and I'm shocked to discover Raleigh and Charlotte, NC have more crime. That's making me lean back towards Joliet now. I know the crime isn't insignificant but it doesn't seem prohibitive either. But what do I know.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
Thanks for this, I'd give anything to actually talk to someone who lives in these areas. I just compared Joliet stats to Raleigh, NC (where I've lived before) and I'm shocked to discover Raleigh and Charlotte, NC have more crime. That's making me lean back towards Joliet now. I know the crime isn't insignificant but it doesn't seem prohibitive either. But what do I know.
A comparison of the two doesn't make sense on more levels than I can comment on now. I think everyone in Illinois who doesn't live in Joliet would say don't move to Joliet. Certainly everyone here has stated as much. If that's not enough for you, than there is obviously no way of dissuading you.

Where is Chet when you need him? He could sum up the silliness of this argument in a succinct 2000 word rant.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-27-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 03:18 PM

I keep hanging on to hope because I've snooped through what few Joliet threads exist in this forum and several people have defended it especially in recent years. An example:
"Joliet tends to get a negative reputation(mainly because of the east side). I personally don't mind Joliet and has a lot of nice communities. The only areas I would say to avoid are the east side and downtown. Downtown can be fun once in a while but is sketchy at night and always seems dead, unless you go by the court house in the morning."

^This review does not give me pause in the slightest because I wouldn't hang out or live in those parts, and it makes me wonder if it's all subjective, especially coming from people who live in really safe suburbs (particularly since Joliet has gotten a really bad rap for a very long time). On the other hand, in Chicago crime is very concentrated and doesn't spill over too frequently, I'm not sure that's the case in Joliet or not. I'd love more people to join the discussion.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:20 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Compared to where? Don't you live in Deerfield? Similarly priced homes in Deerfield of a similar era and size have taxes over $8k.
It just seems high compared to everywhere else in chicagoland. I live in Highland Park and tbe taxes would be about the same for that, but HP and surrounding suburbs seem to have higher taxes than in a lot of west suburbs. I knew taxes in Glen Ellyn were considered high compared to a lot of other places, but I didn't know they were as high as some north shore towns.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:23 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
Quote:
I'm looking at this list which places Aurora just slightly ahead of Joliet on the list of most dangerous. Does anyone have any more specific info about the east vs west sides or Joliet (the house I want is clearly on the west side of river)? In other words, how contained the crime is? For example, in Chicago it can be vary block by block but if you're on a safe block (like I am now) I feel totally safe. Is crime as contained in the suburbs?

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but is it Humboldt Park dangerous or Uptown dangerous or Englewood dangerous, or Logan Square dangerous?

The 10 ‘Most Dangerous’ Towns In Illinois « CBS Chicago
Aurora has very bad parts and some really nice parts.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I keep hanging on to hope because I've snooped through what few Joliet threads exist in this forum and several people have defended it especially in recent years. An example:
"Joliet tends to get a negative reputation(mainly because of the east side). I personally don't mind Joliet and has a lot of nice communities. The only areas I would say to avoid are the east side and downtown. Downtown can be fun once in a while but is sketchy at night and always seems dead, unless you go by the court house in the morning."

^This review does not give me pause in the slightest because I wouldn't hang out or live in those parts, and it makes me wonder if it's all subjective, especially coming from people who live in really safe suburbs (particularly since Joliet has gotten a really bad rap for a very long time). On the other hand, in Chicago crime is very concentrated and doesn't spill over too frequently, I'm not sure that's the case in Joliet or not. I'd love more people to join the discussion.
Here is an interesting crime map, via Trulia: Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data. Joliet is lit up. And the area surrounding the home is included. Zoom out and take a look at the other places that garner a similar shade of red. No places I would want to raise kids.

There is nothing subjective here. Rather, its quite factual. In fact, you just posted a link to an article naming Joliet as one of the most dangerous cities in Illinois, as cited by the FBI.

What you're left with is a million reasons against, and one reason for.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-27-2015 at 03:39 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Here is an interesting crime map, via Trulia: Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

Joliet is lit up. And the area surrounding the home is included. Zoom out and take a look at the other places that garner a similar shade of red.

There is nothing subjective here. Rather, its quite factual. In fact, you just posted a link to an article naming Joliet as one of the most dangerous cities in Illinois, as cited by the FBI.
Thank you for this. Stone cold truth. I just saw a thread in this forum though where 4 people called Black Rd & Larkin area totally safe. But the map doesn't lie I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs