Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 02:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,346,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Lastly, many of the mansions you are referring to reside in the SE section of Hinsdale where the lots are 0.5 to 1 acre and up. In my eyes, they are not overbuilt given the lot size they sit on. I find majority of these homes to be aesthetically pleasing.
Sorry, but...

https://goo.gl/maps/9XTJGmauTbD2

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
That's where I disagree. I do not think the entire area shown on the map above is nearly as desirable as the 3-4 block radius from downtown GE and Lake Ellyn. I think there is a sizeable drop-off once you are 0.5 mile or so from either Geneva or Roosevelt and also at the east and west ends.
Zillow search Glen Ellyn. Filter recent sales $1mil+. Map view. You'll see that most of Glen Ellyn's most expensive real estate is > four blocks from the downtown.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:47 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,193,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
LOL, ok. That's why I prefaced my comment with "majority". You're telling me you don't like the curb appeal of the four homes I posted? You must have very "unique" tastes I suppose.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Hinsdale is also very hilly. It would be interesting to pull up a topographic map of the two towns to compare.
Map Produced By Gmap4 | Enhanced Google Map Viewer

Glen Ellyn is objectively hillier.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Zillow search Glen Ellyn. Filter recent sales $1mil+. Map view. You'll see that most of Glen Ellyn's most expensive real estate is > four blocks from the downtown.
eh, most of the expensive real estate is concentrated around Lake Ellyn, which I already acknowledged as a very nice area lumped in with the downtown core

Old 12-14-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
LOL, ok. That's why I prefaced my comment with "majority". You're telling me you don't like the curb appeal of the four homes I posted? You must have very "unique" tastes I suppose.
I do like them. A lot. They aren't the ones I was talking about. And I'm in no way making a blanket statement that all Hinsdale homes are over-styled. Quite the contrary. The overwhelming majority are beautiful. But throw in just one of that home I linked to, and the whole visual dynamic of a street takes a massive hit.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I do like them. A lot. They aren't the ones I was talking about. And I'm in no way making a blanket statement that all Hinsdale homes are over-styled. Quite the contrary. The overwhelming majority are beautiful. But throw in just one of that home I linked to, and the whole dynamic of a street takes a massive hit.
Not really. The house you linked is likely sitting on 1 acre+. This isn't your typical street in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, or Hinsdale for that matter. Most of the new custom built homes on the smaller, standard sized Hinsdale lots are very similar in architecture to what you would find for new custom homes in Glen Ellyn (Nantucket style seems especially popular these days).

Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Not really. The house you linked is likely sitting on 1 acre+. This isn't your typical street in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, or Hinsdale for that matter. Most of the new custom built homes on the smaller, standard sized Hinsdale lots are very similar in architecture to what you would find for new custom homes in Glen Ellyn (Nantucket style seems especially popular these days).
Likely not an acre, as you can see the street immediately off to the side. The front and side yards are devoid of trees.

I agree with your "most of" statement. I'm only talking exceptions, and their frequency.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:56 PM

418 posts, read 906,972 times
You know what's great about the last several posts, I can tell how passionate and cordial you all are about your communities. That tells me a lot. I know I can't go wrong looking at any of these cities or villages. I'm excited to call the western suburbs home.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:00 PM

418 posts, read 906,972 times
Was looking at this home and location in Glen Ellyn, but concerned with Taylor as a busy street. It met most of our needs except for a main level office. No back yard but a nice corner lot.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Glen-Ellyn.../home/18134614
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs