Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 PM

748 posts, read 834,297 times

Advertisements

What is the likelihood that school districts get redrawn in these areas? (GE, LaGrange, Downers, etc.)

In other words, is it kind of pointless to consider a high-school's boundaries unless one has almost high-school aged children? i.e. could DG North (dist 99) have their boundary moved further north, or could Lyons Township change its lines considerably?

Would there be huge push-back, or does this happen often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default All but impossible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
What is the likelihood that school districts get redrawn in these areas? (GE, LaGrange, Downers, etc.)

In other words, is it kind of pointless to consider a high-school's boundaries unless one has almost high-school aged children? i.e. could DG North (dist 99) have their boundary moved further north, or could Lyons Township change its lines considerably?

Would there be huge push-back, or does this happen often?
Illinois law requires a lengthy and frankly "not gonna happen" process of one school district to swap boundaries with another district. It is very difficult to get past the hurdles and frankly should not be something anyone really should consider for positive or negative; you should assume the boundaries are not going to change.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
You might see elementary school attendance boundaries re-drawn within a district, but highly unlikely that any of the old, landlocked districts will be shifting boundaries any time soon.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You might see elementary school attendance boundaries re-drawn within a district, but highly unlikely that any of the old, landlocked districts will be shifting boundaries any time soon.
Thanks LK and Chet. It's reassuring to know it's not likely to happen. While I'm planning 10+ years down the road, having one's property value drop due to reordering of HS boundaries and the resultant shock of not being in a school one anticipated could be (relatively) traumatic.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 AM

One thing that you should factor -- higher taxes...

The likelihood of additional taxes needed to pay pensions and maintain services far outpacing other costs is all but certain.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
One thing that you should factor -- higher taxes...

The likelihood of additional taxes needed to pay pensions and maintain services far outpacing other costs is all but certain.
Of course. I've considered that, and in GE/ Wheaton I expect taxes to go up with cost of living/ salary increases.

Downers Grove / Cook County perhaps not as much. Though places with better schools will keep taxes high. I'm fine paying taxes for services I value and that help the common good.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:33 AM

No, taxes will rise disproportionately. The estimates I've seen suggest that doubling of total tax burden over the next decade will be common in places with higher relative property wealth and WORSE in communities with lower property values. Some of that has already been seen -- there are south suburbs with modest homes facing taxes of over 4% of market value.

Services won't improve, they'll lag. It will mean additional pressure for families to figure out how make up for cuts. Fees for sports are likely, reduction in things that "non-essential".

Old 12-17-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No, taxes will rise disproportionately. The estimates I've seen suggest that doubling of total tax burden over the next decade will be common in places with higher relative property wealth and WORSE in communities with lower property values. Some of that has already been seen -- there are south suburbs with modest homes facing taxes of over 4% of market value.

Services won't improve, they'll lag. It will mean additional pressure for families to figure out how make up for cuts. Fees for sports are likely, reduction in things that "non-essential".
Don't you think that these relatively affluent areas will be able to make up the differences, though? I find it hard to believe that areas where one is faced with buying a new Audi versus a new VW would give up sports teams, etc.

Although, who knows what will happen. I think it seems likelier that a continual hollowing out of the middle will occur. Good neighborhoods will get those who can afford the houses and taxes, keeping values up and schools vibrant, other ones will see the opposite effect.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM

768 posts, read 1,105,362 times
Quote:
Although, who knows what will happen. I think it seems likelier that a continual hollowing out of the middle will occur. Good neighborhoods will get those who can afford the houses and taxes, keeping values up and schools vibrant, other ones will see the opposite effect.
Sadly but Agreed...

Old 12-17-2015, 10:07 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Quote:
Don't you think that these relatively affluent areas will be able to make up the differences, though? I find it hard to believe that areas where one is faced with buying a new Audi versus a new VW would give up sports teams, etc.

If you had been betting on higher taxes for pretty much all of the last several decades, you would have been correct. So I hesitate to challenge Chet's prediction too much.

But yes, certain school districts, village governments, etc. are in better financial health than others. Some have also kept up with pension obligations. And many of these same districts are not so dependent on state aid, so aren't very susceptible to reductions in state funding or "funding formula changes".

Even then, taxes are still going up. Mostly due to personnel costs and overly generous teachers union contracts. Most school districts have become accustomed to "maxing out the levy" each budget cycle, asking for the maximum increase allowed and then taking the reduced amount allowed by PTEL (a law that reduces tax increases).

I don't share Chet's worries about service cuts in locally controlled things like schools and park districts. Affluent communities will pay for the things they want to pay for, and as long as participation rates in public schools are high we will continue to see things funded that people want funded. It's called local control. And most of the state funding scenarios INCREASE local control.

I think we are more likely to see the state's budget problems affect our state income tax. My money is on it going back up to 5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs