Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:24 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times

Advertisements

You should also be looking at information/data provided directly from the various districts too. Get all the minutiae regarding the various programs and services offered once you target two or three different districts/suburbs as viable places to reside. Also keep in mind that quite often the K-8 districts can perform quite differently than the HS districts they feed into. YMMV.

IMNSHO you are correct regarding the tendency for some folks to split hairs over test scores. Sometimes by removing the ELLs (English language learners) you get a bit of an equalizing factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRooster View Post
We're not looking for the very top schools, just trying to determine what the delta is between "very top" and "just under very top"...

...and from these responses ("splitting hairs"), it sounds like it's more of photo finish, i.e. the differences are minimal, as opposed to significant. So I don't think we're necessarily splitting hairs, but rather doing a sanity check. Is the difference between these schools like the difference between a Lexus and Toyota, or between a Lexus and a horse-drawn buggy?

The spreadsheets my wife got (from schooldigger.com IIRC) have a tremendous amount of data, and we haven't had a chance to dig through it in detail (pun intended). But from a cursory review of the data, our thoughts are consistent with your comments.

Anyone out there with an opposing view, i.e. very-top schools are markedly better than near-top schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 11:54 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:
Fortunately for me, we have no customers or dress code, so just about anything goes as far as "work clothes".

My current Metra stop is a bare platform (no building/shelter). Standing on it during the "polar vortexes" of two and three years ago prompted some investment in extreme cold weather wear. My Metra line was screwed up more often than not (especially three winters ago), so I spent a lot of time standing in the freezing cold on that bare, windy platform. I certainly don't enjoy it, but with the right clothes, it's not too bad.

But, yes, biking in extreme cold winter... we'll see. Of course I'd prefer a short walk, but it's looking like I'm going to have to compromise. We only have one car now, and I'd like to keep it that way.
If budget is the cause for compromise, you may want to cross-shop a short walk in Wheaton. Analogous to Downers in every way, with proper Metra stations, short train trips, excellent schools, lively downtown district, and that friendly Rockwell vibe.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:06 PM

748 posts, read 832,160 times
Quote:

The spreadsheets my wife got (from schooldigger.com IIRC) have a tremendous amount of data, and we haven't had a chance to dig through it in detail (pun intended). But from a cursory review of the data, our thoughts are consistent with your comments.
You'll also find good resources on Illinois Report Card - it's not RAW data, but it will allow you to filter and see outcomes that match yours.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
If budget is the cause for compromise, you may want to cross-shop a short walk in Wheaton. Analogous to Downers in every way, with proper Metra stations, short train trips, excellent schools, lively downtown district, and that friendly Rockwell vibe.
I like Wheaton, but it felt sleepier and more removed from the city than Downers. Prices are comparable, although does one have more high end than the other? The 750K range should provide good homes in both areas.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:40 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
I like Wheaton, but it felt sleepier and more removed from the city than Downers. Prices are comparable, although does one have more high end than the other? The 750K range should provide good homes in both areas.
Wheaton is a bit more expensive than downers Grove, but you can get a nice home for 750K in both areas.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:
That's funny, I felt downtown Downers was sleeplier when I was shopping, and still do. Regardless, both downtown districts have seen much recent development, and both are among the most lively in Chicagoland.

Downers is a shorter trip to the city by about 10 minutes, but I think Wheaton offers a lot to young families that Downers can't:

- Better elementary schools, middle and high schools a wash
- 200+ acres more parks and public green space
- Lower violent crime rate; property and theft rates are half (FBI 2014 Crime In The United States)
- Two large public waterparks (Downers has no public pool)
- Public zoo, free of charge (Cosely Zoo)
- Endless recreational opportunities and enhanced pedestrian ingress via the Prairie Path (Illinois Prairie Path)
- Best private golf course and second best public course in the state (The Best Golf Courses in Illinois | Golf Digest)
- Museums, climbable military tanks, and formal gardens at Cantigny (Cantigny Park)
- Learning opportunities at the history museum (DuPage County Historical Museum)
- Equestrian education and horse events at Danada (Danada Equestrian Center)
- Outdoor education and programs at Lincoln Marsh (Lincoln Marsh)
- Year round fun at the DuPage fairgrounds (DuPage County Fair: Calendar of Events)
- Downtown community theater (Wheaton Drama), local improv troop (Westside Improve), and annual Shakespeare in the park (Shakespeare in the Park: Twelfth Night)
- Downtown bandshell with free concerts and the best orchestral band around (Wheaton Municipal Band)
- Endless and impressive array of bordering parks, including Morton Arboretum, Kline Creek Farm, St. James Farm, Blackwell Forest, Danada Forest, Herrick Lake and more

Central Wheaton is more affordable than central Downers right now, and it's worth cross-shopping if the OP's budget has pushed them an uncomfortable distance from Downers' core.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-03-2016 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
That's funny, I felt downtown Downers was sleeplier when I was shopping, and still do. Regardless, both downtown districts have seen much recent development, and both are among the most lively in Chicagoland.

Downers is a shorter trip to the city by about 10 minutes, but I think Wheaton offers a lot to young families that Downers can't:

- Better elementary schools, middle and high schools a wash
- 200+ acres more parks and public green space
- Lower violent crime rate; property and theft rates are half (FBI 2014 Crime In The United States)
- Two large public waterparks (Downers has no public pool)
- Public zoo, free of charge (Cosely Zoo)
- Endless recreational opportunities and enhanced pedestrian ingress via the Prairie Path (Illinois Prairie Path)
- Best private golf course and second best public course in the state (The Best Golf Courses in Illinois | Golf Digest)
- Museums, climbable military tanks, and formal gardens at Cantigny (Cantigny Park)
- Learning opportunities at the history museum (DuPage County Historical Museum)
- Equestrian education and horse events at Danada (Danada Equestrian Center)
- Outdoor education and programs at Lincoln Marsh (Lincoln Marsh)
- Year round fun at the DuPage fairgrounds (DuPage County Fair: Calendar of Events)
- Downtown community theater (Wheaton Drama), local improv troop (Westside Improve), and annual Shakespeare in the park (Shakespeare in the Park: Twelfth Night)
- Downtown bandshell with free concerts and the best orchestral band around (Wheaton Municipal Band)
- Endless and impressive array of bordering parks, including Morton Arboretum, Kline Creek Farm, St. James Farm, Blackwell Forest, Danada Forest, Herrick Lake and more

Central Wheaton is more affordable than central Downers right now, and it's worth cross-shopping if the OP's budget has pushed them an uncomfortable distance from Downers' core.
That's quite the list! It came down to commute time for me. I've seen plenty in Downers near Main and Belmont for 750K. Wheaton, too, both stops.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
That's quite the list! It came down to commute time for me. I've seen plenty in Downers near Main and Belmont for 750K. Wheaton, too, both stops.
Another big plus for DG is its lower property tax rate when compared to Wheaton. Might not seem like much of a difference (DG less by 0.53%) but that amounts to roughly $4k/year on a home valued at $750k. That's pretty substantial.

Compare your property tax rate (database) - Chicago Tribune

Old 08-03-2016, 09:45 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Another big plus for DG is its lower property tax rate when compared to Wheaton. Might not seem like much of a difference (DG less by 0.53%) but that amounts to roughly $4k/year on a home valued at $750k. That's pretty substantial.

Compare your property tax rate (database) - Chicago Tribune
I feel if you're in the market for a 750k house 4K isn't going to break the bank, but I see what you're saying.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:05 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I feel if you're in the market for a 750k house 4K isn't going to break the bank, but I see what you're saying.
$4k/yr in taxes is equivalent to an additional approx. $75k in purchasing power when financed over a 30-yr loan. So its very possible someone with a $750k budget in DG would have less than a $700k budget in Wheaton all else equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs