Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 23,032 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I know...you constanly have to deal with us transplants from the North but I think we are nice people. Okay here it goes. My husband has accepted a job next to the CNN center in Atlanta. He will be working an odd shift like 3am to 11am. He doesn't like traffic. If there is traffic he prefers to take public transit. We have two teenagers in high school. They are high achievers and want to keep them on track.
We need to find a nice home with a reasonable commute (the closer the better or the shorter the better) to Atlanta from a nice suburb. A suburb that has a nice community with softball, baseball, YMCA, parks shopping, nice teenage population (no gangs). Our budget is 300,000. I wish we could go higher but we have two teens going to college very soon and have to budget for that...plus car insurance...maybe car. They can get a job too. Please mention names of towns that you would suggest. For instance, I have been told to look in Alphratta because of straight commute on 400? Dunwoody because of public transit. Please help me out here...any other towns to suggest ? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
You will have plenty to choose from in Alpharetta, Roswell would be a good choice too. Either city will have the schools, sports and shopping you are looking for. With your husband's work schedule, traffic will not be a problem.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Default Thanks..love to hear from more of you

Thanks..love to hear from more of you.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
How old are your high schoolers? (What grades will they be in when you move here?) You know that most school systems start August 10th right? (some actually start the 3rd)

Old 08-02-2009, 07:12 PM

I have a 15 year old daughter entering 10th grade and 16 year son entering 11th. Yes, I have been told school starts the 10th. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Are they on a traditional or block schedule? I am guessing you don't plan to be here by the 10th?

I don't know how much you know about high school schedules but it is generally very difficult to go between the two -- especially mid year.

If you can tell me the type of schedule and what kinds of courses they are planning to take, I can provide more guidance for you.

When do you plan to move?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayna1965 View Post
Hello all. I know...you constanly have to deal with us transplants from the North but I think we are nice people. Okay here it goes. My husband has accepted a job next to the CNN center in Atlanta. He will be working an odd shift like 3am to 11am. He doesn't like traffic. If there is traffic he prefers to take public transit. We have two teenagers in high school. They are high achievers and want to keep them on track.
We need to find a nice home with a reasonable commute (the closer the better or the shorter the better) to Atlanta from a nice suburb. A suburb that has a nice community with softball, baseball, YMCA, parks shopping, nice teenage population (no gangs). Our budget is 300,000. I wish we could go higher but we have two teens going to college very soon and have to budget for that...plus car insurance...maybe car. They can get a job too. Please mention names of towns that you would suggest. For instance, I have been told to look in Alphratta because of straight commute on 400? Dunwoody because of public transit. Please help me out here...any other towns to suggest ? Your help is greatly appreciated.

lastminutemom will give y'all some good advice soon.

However, based on your criteria already, I would suggest:

Decatur High School in the City of Decatur Schools (in Decatur)
Grady High School in Atlanta City Schools (in Midtown Area)
Riverwood High School in Fulton County Schools (in Sandy Springs)
North Springs High School in Fulton County Schools (in Sandy Springs)
Druid Hills High School in DeKalb County Schools (in Druid Hills near Emory)
Dunwoody High School in Dekalb County Schools (in Dunwoody)

*all of the aforementioned high schools are great with excellent access to public transportation and close to CNN.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 11,051 times
Hickory Flat community in Cherokee County is a very nice suburb. It is situated between GA400 and I575 highways in a what was up until recently mostly pastures and farmland (much of which still exists, so its not nearly as congested as Dunwoody or Sandy Springs for example), with easy access to 400 through Roswell/Alpharetta. The taxes are much cheaper in Cherokee and your dollar goes further with a purchase of a home. The local school is Sequoyah High (my alma mater) and is a Georgia School of Excellence, Top 1000 high school in the nation, and has an extensive honors and AP program.

You will also find that theaters, malls, and shopping is can all be found within no more than 5-10 miles

Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
I'll second the post above. Cherokee County has some great high schools, and your $300k budget will go much further there than in some of the other areas mentioned. I'd look in Holly Springs or Woodstock, and he'd have a simple 35-40 minute commute straight down 575 to 75 at those hours.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Thanks. Getting a list of classes kids have taken.

Hi! Wow...Thank you for all the great input. I will post later a list of courses they have taken for grades 9 and 10. I will try to break it down better for you. Both are on block scheduling.

Son 16 entering 11th grade
Ranked #1 in his class of 233. GPA is 4.0
May want to go into computer technology or science
Works hard. Love computers. He is great at fixing and assembling things.
He was in a robotics club.
He is finishing his first college course this week at a University in microcoputer applications. So far he has an A in that class.
Scores average in tests but has test anxiety.
Has particpated in Leadership seminars. HOBY, DeMolay and Governor's School of Excellence.

Daughter 15 entering 10 grade
Ranked #92 in a class of 477. GPA is 3.5
May want to go into broadcast journalism.
She likes photography and media. Has an artistic flair.
She is naturally bright but hasn't been challenged where we are.
Scores high in math and science. However, says she doesn't like science.
Taking all honors classes.
She is very good at softball.
She is naturally talented on piano and guitar.
She gave up violin because of peer pressure.

I will fill in course list as soon as I can. Thank you for help again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta