Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsonmisty View Post
I have a job. Not sure where that assumption came from
I'm sorry. I thought because you said "at the moment," that you were looking for a job. Anyways, I agree with the positive things everyone is saying about Brookfield, which is why I also recommended it in my other post. Some high ranked school districts are not diverse at all and don't really teach kids how to survive in the real world. Brookfield does not have cookie cutter homes and it's central to everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:15 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default As much as I like Brookfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I'm sorry. I thought because you said "at the moment," that you were looking for a job. Anyways, I agree with the positive things everyone is saying about Brookfield, which is why I also recommended it in my other post. Some high ranked school districts are not diverse at all and don't really teach kids how to survive in the real world. Brookfield does not have cookie cutter homes and it's central to everything
...the fact is I have friends that currently have kids at Riverside-Brookfield and believe there is NOTHING about their experience that in any way, shape or form is doing more to prepare them "for the real world" than friends that have kids the same age at Lyons Township, Hinsdale Central, or Downers Grove North high schools. While RB does have a higher percentage of minorities (specifically kids that identify as "Hispanic") there is no evidence whatsoever that having a mix of kids that is either more or less similar to the "real world" has any positive effect on student outcomes. I've specifically asked the kids of friends about "race relations" and the kids will tell you that there is nothing to remark about -- some of the kids of Hispanic backgrounds get along fine, some participate on sports (especially soccer and baseball) and some don't. Same sorts of things that one would expect! Frankly the exact same things are heard from kids at LT, DGN or Hinsdale Central. In general this is a GOOD THING -- it reflects the fact that one cannot predict the "values" of groups of kids simply by their racial / ethnic identification. To try to maintain stereotypes is simply a wrong-headed way to approach these sorts of issues...

Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...the fact is I have friends that currently have kids at Riverside-Brookfield and believe there is NOTHING about their experience that in any way, shape or form is doing more to prepare them "for the real world" than friends that have kids the same age at Lyons Township, Hinsdale Central, or Downers Grove North high schools. While RB does have a higher percentage of minorities (specifically kids that identify as "Hispanic") there is no evidence whatsoever that having a mix of kids that is either more or less similar to the "real world" has any positive effect on student outcomes. I've specifically asked the kids of friends about "race relations" and the kids will tell you that there is nothing to remark about -- some of the kids of Hispanic backgrounds get along fine, some participate on sports (especially soccer and baseball) and some don't. Same sorts of things that one would expect! Frankly the exact same things are heard from kids at LT, DGN or Hinsdale Central. In general this is a GOOD THING -- it reflects the fact that one cannot predict the "values" of groups of kids simply by their racial / ethnic identification. To try to maintain stereotypes is simply a wrong-headed way to approach these sorts of issues...
Well, the OP already disagrees with you on this matter, so there's no point in recommending suburbs that don't meet their criteria for being "diverse". It's not helpful.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 5,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I understand, but as someone that comes from a much smaller area, where differences in economic status and social status is very apparent, I can tell a difference and disagree with this assessment. I see how it has had an impact on my kids.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM

70 posts, read 92,577 times
I think Brookfield is a great suggestion and you may be able to find something in Riverside if you are lucky. I'm going to throw Elmwood Park out there as well, although the schools aren't as good, and Mt. Prospect, which has good schools but may not offer as much in the other areas you are looking for.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 5,670 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to post which the poster later deleted).

While I may have lived in a much smaller area, there was still a great divide. And it wasn't until I left from it that I saw truly saw it for what it was. I have always made great effort to make sure my kids understand that we only have one life, and that we should live it well, leaving behind a legacy that will make us proud in our final days. That money does not buy everything, and while it may make life easier to an extent, that savings and planning for our future is important, the stuff that money does buy cannot buy happiness.

Maybe I am naïve in thinking I can find an area that meets our "wants". Maybe we stay right here in NB. What we can do and what we are willing to do are two entirely different things. I am not wearing rose colored glasses. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-14-2016 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 07:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Diversity and children is an interesting issue. I now live in a suburb that is 88% white, but the school district that my children attend is only 66% white. The district is also 25% low-income. So while I look up and down the streets of my neighborhood and see primarily white faces who are middle class and higher, the schools are a different story due to some areas on the edge of town that are included in the district (and who are often bused to my kids' school). They know kids from different backgrounds at school, yet they don't see them playing outside on their sidewalks.

If you look at school demographics for many majority-white suburbs you will see a similar story. The public school systems in various towns are quite a bit more diverse than the towns themselves. So this is something to consider if you value a diverse environment for your children.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Beyond how the demographic statistics are sliced-up one must also examine their goals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Diversity and children is an interesting issue. I now live in a suburb that is 88% white, but the school district that my children attend is only 66% white. The district is also 25% low-income. So while I look up and down the streets of my neighborhood and see primarily white faces who are middle class and higher, the schools are a different story due to some areas on the edge of town that are included in the district (and who are often bused to my kids' school). They know kids from different backgrounds at school, yet they don't see them playing outside on their sidewalks.

If you look at school demographics for many majority-white suburbs you will see a similar story. The public school systems in various towns are quite a bit more diverse than the towns themselves. So this is something to consider if you value a diverse environment for your children.
LK is completely correct that whether one looks at very affluent towns, those of more mixed range of backgrounds or even areas that are overwhelmed with poverty, the mix of families with school-aged children and even the specific enrollment in the schools in a town deserve to be examined in depth by concerned parents.

Some towns that have relatively small footprint of rental units see a rather large proportion of those units rented by families seeking to give their kids the benefits offered by a well funded school, a wise strategy for those who believe that a good education is a path to a better life. Other towns that have less than well regarded public schools may see the slightly better off families choose private schools, skewing the population in the public schools toward even less affluent families. Some of these trends are discernible in the data compiled as part of the Illinois Interactive Report Card site hosted by NIU and correlating against data hosted by City-Data. Statewide about 54% of students in our public schools are "low income" -- ILLINOIS: Student Characteristics

The broader issues of how much one tries to apply general principles to solve bigger issues is also something that thoughtful people can scrutinize and decide how to ethically proceed. While on the surface one might think ideas like "shop local" are helpful, thoughtful people might question whether it really is a principle with universal application -- Ethics of Supporting Your Local Economy
In the same spirit I offer this piece about the ethical challenges that teachers, and by extension anyone considering the impact of public schools, should consider -- The Hard Ethical Challenges That Confront Teachers Today | WashingtonPost.com

The simple fact is that while these questions do have a dimension of universality, one is far more likely to have sensitive, college educated parents share these concerns in a relatively affluent community where they have the luxury of economic choice than in a more challenged community where folks are struggling to keep going against the negative economic forces. The term "first world problem" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World_problem is perhaps somewhat applicable yet thoughtful people can recognize how efforts to improve access to education in developing countries may also have things in common with the challenges ensuring equality of opportunity even in this country... Increasing Access to Education Hasn't Solved Inequality | The Atlantic Monthly.com

Last edited by chet everett; 04-14-2016 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs