Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:36 PM

914 posts, read 1,136,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
{OT}

IMNSHO, the best homes to visit are those with a pot of curry on the stove ~24/7 Takes me back to my time spent visiting friends in London when I was younger. Yummy!!
With curry, people either love it or hate it. Eh, anyways, that's just something to be mindful of if you have an HOA, or people not used to it. Most people can't stand garlic smells, but I love them, but curry is particularly pungent IMO. If you buy a detached home, this would not be an issue, but in an apartment complex, it can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:42 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Chet-

Your posts read somewhere between a bad HS guidance counselor
and disgruntled RE agent

Mostly excessively long essays with plenty of hot air and
over analysis. (Does that about cover it for you?)

The OP had one crappy encounter with an old grumpy lady
in Northfield. The sky isn't falling(!) ROTFL

Cheers (no, really!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP already had an ugly incident at a townhome development in Northfield they were shopping, if you missed their report the summary is simple: "crazy old lady type" muttering about the apparent ethnic / religious background of said shoppers. They can expect more of that. Even in the nicest areas there is a very nasty / bitter streak among folks living in condos / townhomes. I've seen this over and over when trying to get things like required copies of HOA documents from the smaller complexes where some self-important retiree tries to be a legalistic tyrant. It is unfortunately an all too common occurrence and one of the main reason that I recommend against such situations.

Neither is there any secret that when a family is broken up by divorce the economics of maintaining two households in very costly towns often forces one or both parents into a condo to maintain residency for the kids to finish school with their classmates. The toxic environment that often accompanies the understandably bitter divorce is hardly the best for kids or making new friends.

There are simply lots more "normal" intact families that value a quality education living in the less desirable corners of towns like Wilmette or Northfield in single family homes that would be a better situation for the OP financially as well as for the likely friendships that their children might develop. I would even go so far to say that if they really thing about the influences that matter to their kids development it might well make sense to find a home in their budgetary comfort range in town that is more overall more affordable even if that means accepting schools that are step down. Near the North Shore that would include Evanston, Skokie, Niles, Morton Grove and probably DesPlaines -- the fact is many other parents have made this trade-off and I would argue it is a sensible move, especially if the natural presence of friends provides a more situation for their children.

Honestly, when I say "find the most affordable home in the nicest town you can" I really do mean SINGLE FAMILY DETACHED home as that does provide the best opportunity for full participation in the community. I have seen the benefits of such participation in terms of thing like sports, music /arts, and longer term friendship be at least as important as the raw numbers of academics...

Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 AM

258 posts, read 347,365 times
Hi Chicagodesi,

Are you looking at Glencoe mainly for the schools? It really is a very non-diverse area, although I do know one desi family that lives there. But more than anything, you will be quite lonely out there.

I do understand the desi imperative to get the kids into 10/10 schools But do consider the fact that schools are not just a numbers game. Plus, in such a non-diverse school, it will be much harder for your kids to make friends, have play dates and sleep-overs, etc. So they might have the benefit of being in a good school but socially, they will find it much harder than if they were in a school district that was a lot more diverse.

Northshore in general has nice schools. I live in Evanston, and while the schools are not all rated 10/10, they are really good schools. For example, on the SouthEast side, there's Lincoln Elementary school. Zillow will tell you that it is only rated at 7/10, but I know quite a few families (mostly desis) who send their kids there, and they absolutely love the school. I also know a desi family that specifically moved to that part of Evanston so they could send their kids to Lincoln.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you to move to Evanston (although it is indeed a nice friendly liberal diverse place and actually has a really nice selection of affordable condos too), but was giving an example that I knew of personally, where the school was significantly nicer than the ratings.

Have you also considered Skokie and/or Skokie/Evanston aka Skevanston? House prices in Evanston are high, but there is a lot to choose from, and some locations are quite affordable. Skokie also has good house prices. A lot of desis who want to get into New Trier district also pick up starter homes or older rundown homes in Wilmette.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 PM

84 posts, read 98,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
Hi Chicagodesi,

Are you looking at Glencoe mainly for the schools? It really is a very non-diverse area, although I do know one desi family that lives there. But more than anything, you will be quite lonely out there.

I do understand the desi imperative to get the kids into 10/10 schools But do consider the fact that schools are not just a numbers game. Plus, in such a non-diverse school, it will be much harder for your kids to make friends, have play dates and sleep-overs, etc. So they might have the benefit of being in a good school but socially, they will find it much harder than if they were in a school district that was a lot more diverse.

Northshore in general has nice schools. I live in Evanston, and while the schools are not all rated 10/10, they are really good schools. For example, on the SouthEast side, there's Lincoln Elementary school. Zillow will tell you that it is only rated at 7/10, but I know quite a few families (mostly desis) who send their kids there, and they absolutely love the school. I also know a desi family that specifically moved to that part of Evanston so they could send their kids to Lincoln.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you to move to Evanston (although it is indeed a nice friendly liberal diverse place and actually has a really nice selection of affordable condos too), but was giving an example that I knew of personally, where the school was significantly nicer than the ratings.

Have you also considered Skokie and/or Skokie/Evanston aka Skevanston? House prices in Evanston are high, but there is a lot to choose from, and some locations are quite affordable. Skokie also has good house prices. A lot of desis who want to get into New Trier district also pick up starter homes or older rundown homes in Wilmette.
Hello! Appreciate the advice, even though I grew up in Chicago since I was 2 years old, I do have the desi/asian thing of finding the best schools for the kids I understand the diversity issue so we're not restricting ourselves to just Glencoe, Wilmette, Winnetka, etc. We're also considering Naperville, Hinsdale, Barrington as well.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:56 PM

I never caught your approximate budget for a home price anywhere in the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodesi View Post
Hello! Appreciate the advice, even though I grew up in Chicago since I was 2 years old, I do have the desi/asian thing of finding the best schools for the kids I understand the diversity issue so we're not restricting ourselves to just Glencoe, Wilmette, Winnetka, etc. We're also considering Naperville, Hinsdale, Barrington as well.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
Quote:
Interesting that you mention Naperville, Hinsdale & Barrington. All three of those towns have a lot more desi's than Glencoe, that's for sure. I think it has something to do with the fact that desi's tend to love large McMansions that sit on large lots. That's why you see even more desi's in Oak Brook (Hinsdale Central area) or Burr Ridge (Hinsdale South area) than you do in Hinsdale proper even.

Even Lake Forest these days probably has a lot more desi's than Glencoe. Lake Forest also happens to be less Jewish than Glencoe. Out of all the New Trier towns, Wilmette by far would have the most desi's. Especially the western area that basically borders Skokie. East Glenview (gets New Trier HS) & Northfield probably have small # as well. Glenview & Northbrook for sure have more than Glencoe, but Glencoe & its neighboring lake shore towns' natural beauty is unparalleled.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:48 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would suggest that nearly an analysis that compared the relative benefits of being inside the school districts that serve Glencoe would show neither educational nor financial benefits compared to being in a similarly priced single family home in the more affordable parts of Wilmette or Northfield served by nearly identical public schools.

The experience I have had both as a teacher and when my own kids were in school is that condos are rather uncommon living choices for intact families in nicer areas. The majority of residents are retirees. The odds of a resident having school aged kids also being divorced are quite high. I realize that the subsequent likelihood of kids not having as many nearby playmates is not really a true "cause and effect" but the bigger issue, of at least having the possibility of more "mainstream" friends / neighbors as well as much better prospects for price appreciation / stability cannot be ignored...
Quote:
Thanks for the responses! We keep our political views to ourselves, so we're not about to run around with Palestinian flags everywhere or start burning Israeli flags ultimately everyone will get what they deserve and only God will decide it, so who are we to judge. Yes currently we do go to MEC in Morton Grove so it's not too far.
I think that you might underestimate how long it can take to travel from Glencoe to Morton Grove. I-94 is not the most efficient highway, if you know what I mean. I was stuck in traffic for a good 20 minutes traveling from Old Orchard to Willow Road at 3:45pm today. I think you would probably find an area closer to Morton Grove. The public schools in and around Morton Grove are very well regarded, as well. They also offer more ethnic, racial, religious, and socioeconomic diversity than Glencoe and New Trier school districts.

Also, I am taken aback at the bigotry that I am reading on this thread. Please keep that vitriol to yourselves. I am probably more American than just about anyone on this thread, and this intolerance does not represent what this country is or ought to be.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Interesting that you mention Naperville, Hinsdale & Barrington. All three of those towns have a lot more desi's than Glencoe, that's for sure. I think it has something to do with the fact that desi's tend to love large McMansions that sit on large lots. That's why you see even more desi's in Oak Brook (Hinsdale Central area) or Burr Ridge (Hinsdale South area) than you do in Hinsdale proper even.

Even Lake Forest these days probably has a lot more desi's than Glencoe. Lake Forest also happens to be less Jewish than Glencoe. Out of all the New Trier towns, Wilmette by far would have the most desi's. Especially the western area that basically borders Skokie. East Glenview (gets New Trier HS) & Northfield probably have small # as well. Glenview & Northbrook for sure have more than Glencoe, but Glencoe & its neighboring lake shore towns' natural beauty is unparalleled.
Poor Lake Forest has about 3 Jews in the entire city. Lake Foresters don't know what they're missing.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 PM

Default Oh the horror

A 20 minute drive on the Edens at the start
of rush hour. Oh the horror(!) ROTFL

Either you don't drive much, or you are yanking
us around here.

(Thinking of random times in the past when I have
been stuck in the tunnel on the Dan Ryan and
in part of lower wacker drive in the middle of the
night for what seemed like a very traffic free spot.)

QUOTE=Hiruko;43944618]I think that you might underestimate how long it can take to travel from Glencoe to Morton Grove. I-94 is not the most efficient highway, if you know what I mean. I was stuck in traffic for a good 20 minutes traveling from Old Orchard to Willow Road at 3:45pm today. I think you would probably find an area closer to Morton Grove. The public schools in and around Morton Grove are very well regarded, as well. They also offer more ethnic, racial, religious, and socioeconomic diversity than Glencoe and New Trier school districts.

Also, I am taken aback at the bigotry that I am reading on this thread. Please keep that vitriol to yourselves. I am probably more American than just about anyone on this thread, and this intolerance does not represent what this country is or ought to be.[/quote]

Old 05-04-2016, 08:16 PM

Hey now, my close Jewish friends who now live off of
Deerpath in LF resent that statement(!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Poor Lake Forest has about 3 Jews in the entire city. Lake Foresters don't know what they're missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs