Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:24 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown fam View Post
Are they that bad? Is it all about black n' white?
No, most of them are not that bad. Yes, I believe it is mostly about black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 PM

58 posts, read 228,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Both South Holland and Lansing have higher populations than Homewood, yet Homewood's crime rate is higher (above the national average, in fact). Why is it seen as a better community when, statistically, the other two towns are safer?
Can you support that claim with ACTUAL numbers? It's always nice to have a source to back up those types of comments.

OPSMAN

Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
Can you support that claim with ACTUAL numbers? It's always nice to have a source to back up those types of comments.

OPSMAN
Sure. Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:25 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times
Quote:
Both South Holland and Lansing have higher populations than Homewood, yet Homewood's crime rate is higher (above the national average, in fact). Why is it seen as a better community when, statistically, the other two towns are safer?
Good question. I've got a couple ideas on this:

1) Schools. I looked up jr. high school test scores for all three cities, and the results were - vs a 74 state average for "% all subjects meet/exceed standard" Homewood - 86, Lansing - 72, South Holland - 67.

2) Transit. Homewood has a Metra line running through it. It's also (I believe...) a little closer to the city than the other two.

3) Looks/Housing stock. I haven't been to Lansing or South Holland much, but what little knowledge I have leads me to think there is a greater assortment of home types and more attractive neighborhoods (and downtown) in Homewood.

4) A note on the safety stats - Homewood got a score of 323.6, while the average is 323.2. That's a hardly measurable variance from average. What I did notice was their crime score jumped way up in 2006 - I wonder if that's a trend or a blip? Also, these scores are calculated to a per capita score - so the size of the town doesn't factor in. 200 is alsways better than 300, regardless if its Chicago vs Mayberry or Lansing vs Homewood.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post

1) Schools. I looked up jr. high school test scores for all three cities, and the results were - vs a 74 state average for "% all subjects meet/exceed standard" Homewood - 86, Lansing - 72, South Holland - 67.

2) Transit. Homewood has a Metra line running through it. It's also (I believe...) a little closer to the city than the other two.

3) Looks/Housing stock. I haven't been to Lansing or South Holland much, but what little knowledge I have leads me to think there is a greater assortment of home types and more attractive neighborhoods (and downtown) in Homewood.

4) A note on the safety stats - Homewood got a score of 323.6, while the average is 323.2. That's a hardly measurable variance from average. What I did notice was their crime score jumped way up in 2006 - I wonder if that's a trend or a blip? Also, these scores are calculated to a per capita score - so the size of the town doesn't factor in. 200 is alsways better than 300, regardless if its Chicago vs Mayberry or Lansing vs Homewood.
I can't argue with 1 and 2 (except to say that all three towns are about equal distance from the city, with South Holland being the closest, and are all very close to major highways). Homewood's downtown is definitely more attractive than the other two. Housing stock? That's a matter of opinion. I haven't seen anything really special about the homes in Homewood. The only point that I do take issue with (not with you personally) is the safety. If Lansing and South Holland are safer communities, why should they be avoided?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post

Good information....well said.

OPSMAN

Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 PM

I thought you were going to supply believable information. This site pulls their information from other "reputable" sources and puts it on display. It's no different than Wikipedia.

And I think you need to read my original thread one more time. I stated that those thoughts were MY OPINION. Why do you find the need to rebut everyone's opinion everytime it doesn't agree with your opinion? I don't know anything about your knowledge base, and I don't really care to either. But I will say that I lived in the south burbs (Lansing/Homewood) for 20 years, so I feel my knowledge base is pretty strong in those areas. I am not a person consumed by black/white issues, and I embrace diversity. Your opinion differs from mine...can you leave it at that????

OPSMAN

Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I thought you were going to supply believable information. This site pulls their information from other "reputable" sources and puts it on display. It's no different than Wikipedia.

And I think you need to read my original thread one more time. I stated that those thoughts were MY OPINION. Why do you find the need to rebut everyone's opinion everytime it doesn't agree with your opinion? I don't know anything about your knowledge base, and I don't really care to either. But I will say that I lived in the south burbs (Lansing/Homewood) for 20 years, so I feel my knowledge base is pretty strong in those areas. I am not a person consumed by black/white issues, and I embrace diversity. Your opinion differs from mine...can you leave it at that????

OPSMAN
If you don't want your opinion challenged, rebutted, analyzed, mocked, etc., you might not want to put it on a public forum. The purpose of this forum is to provide people with different opinions. It is my opinion that a lot of the south suburbs are good places to live. So, naturally, I will disseminate that opinion on threads about the south suburbs. If my opinion conflicts with yours, then, oh well. It's nothing personal.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
If you don't want your opinion challenged, rebutted, analyzed, mocked, whatever, you might not want to put it on a public forum. The purpose of this forum is to provide people with different opinions. It is my opinion that a lot of the south suburbs are good places to live. So, naturally, I will disseminate that opinion on threads about the south suburbs. If my opinion conflicts with yours, then, oh well. It's nothing personal.
By all means, share your opinions...we'll be glad to read them. Just don't attack people because they have their own.

OPSMAN

Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
By all means, share your opinions...we'll be glad to read them. Just don't attack people because they have their own.

OPSMAN
Attack? Ooookay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs