Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I lived in Skokie for ten years and I own a building in Berwyn. I agree Skokie has a feel like some parts of the far north and northwest side like West Rogers park, Sauganash, etc. To me, Skokie feels more suburban because most of the house were build in the 1950's and 60's and they are set further apart. Berwyn on the other hand, seems to me to be more citified. The streets lined with bungalows and two flats are right out of certain city neighborhoods and are almost indistinguishable. Gangways and alley's galore and tiny postage stamp yards.
Skokie is set up similarly to far North/Northwest side neighborhoods. In places like Sauganash and Edgebrook there are no gangways. Berwyn on the other hand is set up like West Side neighborhoods which is why it's easy to think you didn't leave Little Village just because you crossed Kenton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 11:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Skokie is set up similarly to far North/Northwest side neighborhoods. In places like Sauganash and Edgebrook there are no gangways. Berwyn on the other hand is set up like West Side neighborhoods which is why it's easy to think you didn't leave Little Village just because you crossed Kenton.
Skokie actually has alleys, at least the parts around the Dempster and Oakton stations. Most of the streets also run on a grid, even keeping Chicago's numbering system, although dropping the "N/S/E/W" portion. Business, however, are overwhelmingly suburban: strip malls, food service chains, and Old Orchard Mall. Exceptions to that are Jewish/kosher stores and restaurants, which continue to hold their own. Examples include Kaufman Bakery and Hungarian Kosher.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Skokie actually has alleys, at least the parts around the Dempster and Oakton stations. Most of the streets also run on a grid, even keeping Chicago's numbering system, although dropping the "N/S/E/W" portion. Business, however, are overwhelmingly suburban: strip malls, food service chains, and Old Orchard Mall. Exceptions to that are Jewish/kosher stores and restaurants, which continue to hold their own. Examples include Kaufman Bakery and Hungarian Kosher.
A gangway is not an alley my friend.

Also are we just going to ignore the Mediterranean and Asian businesses on Dempster? It's not simply Jewish establishments as of late because multiple ethnic groups have made their mark on Skokie. The strip malls usually have an ethnic character to them anyway like a small scale Rogers Park. Skokie is definitely not general Americana. The only thing generic about Skokie is Old Orchard Mall and that's as far as stores go because the clientele certainly isn't just a bunch of suburban White American people.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
A gangway is not an alley my friend.
I learned something new, lol. I thought "gangway" was a regionalism, like "y'all" (South) or "bubbler" (Wisconsin). So what's a gangway? I thought it was something you yelled when you're skiing fast through a crowd and can't stop. But it's gotta mean something else here.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Wanted to explain that my inclusion of Naperville and Schaumburg have to do with density and public transportation.

Suburbs suck for nightlife so it's more of "can I get to city fun stuff from the burbs". Also Hammond and Whiting are close to a train station that takes you into the city itself.
No way Naperhell or Schaumburg are anything city like

No suburb in Chicago can come even close to Evanston as far as feeling city like, and also being connected to the best in the city.

Oak Park is certainly up and coming and is building more density. Oak Park is more desirable than honestly about half the city limits of Chicago itself. I come home to Chicago often for a big city fix and to visit relatives but I was pleasantly surprised by a recent visit to Oak Park. I mainly stick to the north side so it was a nice change. The natural place to gentrify would be the near south side, but with rampant crime, it really hs not made it much past south loop unless you consider "islands" like Hyde Park.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:26 AM

201 posts, read 278,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I learned something new, lol. I thought "gangway" was a regionalism, like "y'all" (South) or "bubbler" (Wisconsin). So what's a gangway? I thought it was something you yelled when you're skiing fast through a crowd and can't stop. But it's gotta mean something else here.
A gangway is between two houses, the little walkway that goes from the street back to the yard.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

No suburb in Chicago can come even close to Evanston as far as feeling city like, and also being connected to the best in the city.

Oak Park is certainly up and coming and is building more density. Oak Park is more desirable than honestly about half the city limits of Chicago itself. I come home to Chicago often for a big city fix and to visit relatives but I was pleasantly surprised by a recent visit to Oak Park. I mainly stick to the north side so it was a nice change. The natural place to gentrify would be the near south side, but with rampant crime, it really hs not made it much past south loop unless you consider "islands" like Hyde Park.
Disagree about nothing is even close to Evanston. We are not necessarily talking about desirable. Many of the places talked about above are very city like, just as city like as Evanston. Skokie in my opinion is close but its more suburban in feel. And a gangway is yes, a very narrow sidewalk set between two buildings that are very close together. Skokie does have alleys in places. We had one. Oak Park is closer to the city than Evanston is and the transportation is just as good. Same with Cicero.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

So you're saying Berwyn and Cicero don't feel city like??? Also have you been to Whiting or Hammond? Virtually indistinguishable from the South Side and unless you know the area well you might never know you left the city. Heck if you ask me the transition to Hammond from the city is less drastic than the one to Evanston.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
A lot of people have never been to many of these places so they don't know. I can't vouch for Hammond or Whiting because I have not been there. I've lived in Skokie, I've been in Evanston, Berwyn, Cicero, Oak Park, etc. Hell, I was born in Oak Park and I own a building in Berwyn.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
A lot of people have never been to many of these places so they don't know. I can't vouch for Hammond or Whiting because I have not been there. I've lived in Skokie, I've been in Evanston, Berwyn, Cicero, Oak Park, etc. Hell, I was born in Oak Park and I own a building in Berwyn.
Most peripheral burbs are basically architectural and cultural extensions of the part of the city they border. Except Oak Park. While it may *look* similar to Austin it is anything but.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs