Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM

15 posts, read 12,781 times

Advertisements

I posted a while back about finding places to live near Niles. Anyway, I'm on my new job and have narrowed my search to a couple of houses. They are relatively equal as far as price, features, and square footage. If the houses are equal, which would you recommend. BTW, I have a high schooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 PM

207 posts, read 214,267 times
Palatine, hands down... with the caveat that I would need to be in the Fremd district (not Palatine HS).

Personally, I’m not a fan of Gurnee. I don’t like going that far north and last I heard, the teachers at Warren HS were considering going on strike. Not sure what the current status is. I have a colleague who lives in Grayslake but her house feeds into Warren. She was not happy with the school, so pulled her kids and sent them to Carmel in Mundelein. They are not Catholic.

There’s some very nice areas of Palatine and some not so great areas, just like any decent size suburb. I was just down there tonight for an event and drove by the historical district. It’s a good town. I lived there in the early 2000’s for a few years.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:42 PM

213 posts, read 166,375 times
Palatine

Also Palatine has nicer downtown, close to Metra,

Old 03-07-2019, 09:24 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,484 times
Commuting from Palatine to Niles is not going to be pleasant. The east/west roads you would take are pretty jammed during rush hour. Of the two choices you propose, I agree with the south side of Palatine that feeds into Fremd. Have you considered Park Ridge (the part that feeds into Maine South)? That would be a much better commute to Niles and a good school.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1906 View Post
I posted a while back about finding places to live near Niles. Anyway, I'm on my new job and have narrowed my search to a couple of houses. They are relatively equal as far as price, features, and square footage. If the houses are equal, which would you recommend. BTW, I have a high schooler.
Palatine. I am kind of taken aback by the question.

I'd look in Morton Grove and Park Ridge too.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 AM

15 posts, read 12,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
Palatine, hands down... with the caveat that I would need to be in the Fremd district (not Palatine HS).
This house feeds into Palatine HS. Any issues with that school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Palatine. I am kind of taken aback by the question.

I'd look in Morton Grove and Park Ridge too.
OK. It seems like many on here generally don’t care for Gurnee. But why is that? Bad schools or is it something else?
Park Ridge could be a possibility but I haven’t seen anything in Morton Grove that fits our criteria.

I really appreciate all of the input from this post and previous ones.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:

OK. It seems like many on here generally don’t care for Gurnee. But why is that? Bad schools or is it something else?
Park Ridge could be a possibility but I haven’t seen anything in Morton Grove that fits our criteria.

Palatine HS is certainly not in the same category as Waukegan, North Chicago, etc. but I also wouldn't say that it's known for its academic excellence. Fremd is regarding significantly higher, which is why I recommended it over Palatine.

I don't think Gurnee is "bad" but I do think there are a lot of other (and better options). Warren HS is huge and I have to wonder what direction the district is moving in with all this talk about teachers going on strike, etc. And again, it's not known for its academic excellence as a good handful of other high schools in the general area are. As far as Gurnee itself, I've always viewed it as a "big box" town with Gurnee Mills, Great America, etc. Not a bad place to stop by on your drive into or out of Chicago, but I wouldn't want to reside there. It's simply not my cup of tea.

There's a significant distance between Palatine and Gurnee. I'm curious how you narrowed it down to those two towns.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:53 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,257,578 times
Quote:

I think Warren Twnshp HS unfortunately still has a somewhat sullied reputation over the poor NCLB progress ratings for 5-6 years before the crash. It’s a bit of a wash if you factor in so much focus on test scores and take into consideration the needs and challenges of kids from very different socioeconomic backgrounds/English language learners/etc.

Palatine HS has similiar demographics/challenges but is part of district 211, a very large but good cluster of high schools overall. Fremd is arguably the popular star performer of that group of schools.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
What's your criteria?

I agree. If your employment is based in Niles, the commute from Palatine (or Gurnee) is not going to be pleasant. Another vote for Park Ridge (feeding into South).

If you're open to it, I'd also look at Glenview/Northfield (Glenbrook South HS/New Trier HS) and even Mt. Prospect/Prospect Heights/Arlington Heights (feeding into Hersey HS).

Old 03-08-2019, 09:01 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,257,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
What's your criteria?

I agree. If your employment is based in Niles, the commute from Palatine (or Gurnee) is not going to be pleasant. Another vote for Park Ridge (feeding into South).

If you're open to it, I'd also look at Glenview/Northfield (Glenbrook South HS/New Trier HS) and even Mt. Prospect/Prospect Heights/Arlington Heights (feeding into Hersey HS).
He’s looking at housing prices/size/condition without a doubt. The same $ buys more house in Palatine right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs