Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 12:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,250,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Thanks but IDK when I looked it up it looked like most was away from the tracks. Plus when I called LaGrange last year when curious they had only one spot available and it was a few blocks away
You need to look again, amigo.

I have no idea about availability though. Hopefully something will open up a bit closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 12:47 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
It depends on when you leave. There are better times ( earlier during the morning commute, later during evening commute). Also, you can take a few ways; Ogden all the way to the Loop, La Grange Road north to I-290, or 47th Street to 1st Ave. to I-55. Maybe an average of 35-45 min. Parking is expensive in the Loop, and so is gas and the frustration of the commute. La Grange is one of the quickest stops on the entire Metra line with an express to Congress Park and an express to the Loop from the La Grange stop. It would be a wash to drive and park than do the train, maybe more expensive to commute by car. I would rethink the car thing if I were you. Parking downtown on the cheap end is $18 and on the expensive end is $50 a day in a garage-way more than the train with the gas and wear and tear on the car.
Someone else said Ogden was better than the expressways which surprised me

Old 03-05-2020, 02:04 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,250,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Someone else said Ogden was better than the expressways which surprised me
Run both routes on google maps some morning and see how the times compare.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Run both routes on google maps some morning and see how the times compare.
Thanks, I will

Old 03-05-2020, 06:23 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
I never worked downtown (except on a couple of construction jobs as a yoot), but always had it in my head that I'd have to make at least five bucks an hour more to do so vs. working in a nearby suburb, to cover the time and cost of the commute (those are "old" dollars, so probably more today). So, this thread caught my interest. I just Googled "average cost to park in downtown Chicago, and got $34, is this true? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to simply take a Lyft or Uber daily (about $20 each way), with the advantage of not paying for gas and wear on your own vehicle? Or, use Uber to get to the train station to avoid the parking issue?

Also, did you consider the Metra Heritage Corridor line? Pretty big parking lot in Willow Springs (I don't know about Summit), both stations being approximately equidistant from LaGrange Park. It drops you at Union Station, I believe, if that's close to your destination.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I never worked downtown (except on a couple of construction jobs as a yoot), but always had it in my head that I'd have to make at least five bucks an hour more to do so vs. working in a nearby suburb, to cover the time and cost of the commute (those are "old" dollars, so probably more today). So, this thread caught my interest. I just Googled "average cost to park in downtown Chicago, and got $34, is this true? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to simply take a Lyft or Uber daily (about $20 each way), with the advantage of not paying for gas and wear on your own vehicle? Or, use Uber to get to the train station to avoid the parking issue?

Also, did you consider the Metra Heritage Corridor line? Pretty big parking lot in Willow Springs (I don't know about Summit), both stations being approximately equidistant from LaGrange Park. It drops you at Union Station, I believe, if that's close to your destination.
Never used Uber before so it did not occur to me. Interested idea though thanks!

Old 03-05-2020, 07:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post

Depending where one's looking downtown, if you use Spot Hero you can occasionally find spots for $18-20 per day. Some companies will provide validated parking as well. I never drive, but my company's roughly comes out to about $16 per day.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:45 PM

529 posts, read 647,257 times
There is a daily parking lot at Congress Park and you pay with an app. If you're leaving on the 7:18 train, you'll definitely have a spot available. You can also ride your bike to the station. Many employers will have a commuter benefit where you pay for a monthly pass pre-tax out of your paycheck, so for the zone C monthly it goes from like $159 to around 120-130 a month. Many employers or buildings will have some sort of deal with a parking garage too. My building I can park for $18 a day, so you may have a similar situation, but like others said, the hassle, gas and wear and tear make the train more ideal.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
There is a daily parking lot at Congress Park and you pay with an app. If you're leaving on the 7:18 train, you'll definitely have a spot available. You can also ride your bike to the station. Many employers will have a commuter benefit where you pay for a monthly pass pre-tax out of your paycheck, so for the zone C monthly it goes from like $159 to around 120-130 a month. Many employers or buildings will have some sort of deal with a parking garage too. My building I can park for $18 a day, so you may have a similar situation, but like others said, the hassle, gas and wear and tear make the train more ideal.
Thank you for the info!

Old 03-07-2020, 05:34 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
If you're coming from the southern section of La Grange Park (south of Monroe) it's a nice walk to the LG or Stone Ave Metra stations, and vice versa. North of Monroe, I'd recommend driving to the station if you can.

If you're driving all the way there (possible option if you're north of Monroe), 290, 294, and 55 are all relatively nearby. LGP has a very good, central location to not just the city, but the metro area in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs