Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times

Advertisements

I do like Mexican food. But I take on board what you're saying. I didn't get much of a vibe from Aurora in general, but Montgomery looks like a good place for wifey and I to become boring suburbanites in.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I do like Mexican food. But I take on board what you're saying. I didn't get much of a vibe from Aurora in general, but Montgomery looks like a good place for wifey and I to become boring suburbanites in.
You probably shouldn't take it on board because, well, none of it is accurate.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:44 PM

903 posts, read 862,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Waukegan had a lot of looting over the weekend.

I don't agree with people saying that 'people aren't from the communities they are looting.' This is not true. According to available arrest records, looters and rioters have mostly been from the area itself or nearby. No doubt, some of the looters do travel. On the Evanston/Chicago border, three young women from Maywood were arrested for stealing merchandise from Target or Best Buy. Looking nationally, claims by the Minneapolis mayor and Minnesota governor that rioters and looters were from out-of-state was proven to be categorically false.
Let’s be honest. We all would have been shocked if they didn’t riot in Waukegan . They came through and reconfirmed the stereotype. Golf clap for Waukegan!

Old 06-02-2020, 06:16 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Whatever you do, you do not want to move to Naperville!!!
On June 1, the NPD, was assisted by numerous law enforcement agencies, addressed incidents of looting, vandalism, and other acts of violence in the downtown area. As of 1:00 am on June 2, the downtown area has been secured. For full story: https://t.co/KPq0hWIMb3 https://t.co/yPm5r8Ug9k

Old 06-02-2020, 11:02 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Whatever you do, you do not want to move to Naperville!!!
On June 1, the NPD, was assisted by numerous law enforcement agencies, addressed incidents of looting, vandalism, and other acts of violence in the downtown area. As of 1:00 am on June 2, the downtown area has been secured. For full story: https://t.co/KPq0hWIMb3 https://t.co/yPm5r8Ug9k
Yeah, thanks. I'm definitely not going to make a decision of where to move based on ONE incident. Naperville would actually be my #1 choice were it not for the fact that we can't really afford it.

Also, I've already mentioned numerous times where we're actually moving to.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 06-02-2020 at 11:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2020, 04:31 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Kenosha, Aurora, Joliet, many south suburbs, Elgin, Waukegan, even Naperville. The rioting in the suburbs was definitely not exclusive to Aurora.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 8,952 times
Wow- great info here as this matches the search we are doing this week. Moving from TX (DFW) and have spent months scouring realtor.com/Redfin and spent all day yesterday with realtor looking at many different areas. We have 2 middle school daughters and are focused on show choirs which is obviously very specific but yesterday we have narrowed to homes in North Naperville, North Aurora (Batavia Sr High), Oswego and East Aurora (Waubonsie). Today we are going to look in Batavia and from what we saw last night, this might be the area for us.

Here is a strange question. In TX we have a cat that is indoor/outdoor. He is inside most of the day but will go out in the back yard for a few hours each night (We have an 8 foot privacy fence- not common up here we see and that is a good thing). It seems that having an indoor/outdoor cat is unheard of here- True?

Old 06-04-2020, 08:10 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcharm View Post
Wow- great info here as this matches the search we are doing this week. Moving from TX (DFW) and have spent months scouring realtor.com/Redfin and spent all day yesterday with realtor looking at many different areas. We have 2 middle school daughters and are focused on show choirs which is obviously very specific but yesterday we have narrowed to homes in North Naperville, North Aurora (Batavia Sr High), Oswego and East Aurora (Waubonsie). Today we are going to look in Batavia and from what we saw last night, this might be the area for us.

Here is a strange question. In TX we have a cat that is indoor/outdoor. He is inside most of the day but will go out in the back yard for a few hours each night (We have an 8 foot privacy fence- not common up here we see and that is a good thing). It seems that having an indoor/outdoor cat is unheard of here- True?
I've had a couple neighbor's cats that I've seen out. No clue if it's intentional or if they're indoor cats that escaped.

I'm not sure how cats get along with skunks while they're outside, but there's no shortage of skunks in the western suburbs, so you might want to research that before you have cats roam around unattended and then re-enter your house.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcharm View Post

Think the limit in most areas is 6 ft. fence, but lots of HOA's ban them altogether so keep that in mind if you want a fence. If you decide on a home that has an HOA, make sure to check the covenants before placing an offer!

Lots of outdoor cats where I live (St. Charles), but be careful, we also have a decent coyote population and like Alf, they love cats. Last time I let my cat out, he got stuck in a tree so he's imprisoned indoors now. Not my decision, mostly the kids.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Elgin

3 commercial burglaries do not qualify as rioting, 2 of which were apprehended.
Elgin is at an all-time low on violent crime incidents; we overpay and over-employ our force of 200.
Why am I clarifying?...cuz' I'd like to sell my house here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs