Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 09:03 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times

Advertisements

Are there any non-religious private schools near Elmhurst? My daughter is supposed to start school in the fall and D205 is a mess. I don't want her first impression of school to be that it's some sort of prison where it's freezing cold (open windows) and you can't talk to or play with other kids. So, there's a very good chance that the schools in Elmhurst won't work for her.

Meanwhile, I am not religious. I've never been to church. I have no problem enrolling my kid in a religious school, but the ones I've talked to require that you attend a church (a church recommendation is required). I feel as though it is not ethical to say I attend church when I don't and I don't really have any desire to do so.

So, where does that leave parents like me? I can't just quit my job because I own a small business. If I close the business 23 people lose their jobs. My husband cannot teach while working from home. I feel so trapped and the real killer is that part of the reason we moved to Elmhurst was for the "good schools."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 09:24 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
I hear you. We have 'good schools' as well but it has turned out that they are just training them to be social justice activists. I would consider any private school for that reason. We are looking into moving out of Illinois. Good luck. Do you pay your 23 employees minimum wage, by any chance?

Old 02-11-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I hear you. We have 'good schools' as well but it has turned out that they are just training them to be social justice activists. I would consider any private school for that reason. We are looking into moving out of Illinois. Good luck. Do you pay your 23 employees minimum wage, by any chance?
Everyone here makes more than minimum wage. I wish I could move out, I would already be in Florida now if I could... with or without my husband at this point. I hate this place.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:01 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
https://www.nl.edu/colleges/nationalcollegeofeducation/
I'd give them a call, I attended grade school in their Evanston facility; but this was a LONG time ago.
Not sure if they're still operating private K-8(you didn't mention child's age)educational facilities.
Good luck.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:07 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Everyone here makes more than minimum wage. I wish I could move out, I would already be in Florida now if I could... with or without my husband at this point. I hate this place.

Resided on both coasts of Floriduh for over a decade, if you'd like a laundry list of reasons not to: PM me.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:19 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Are there any non-religious private schools near Elmhurst? My daughter is supposed to start school in the fall and D205 is a mess. I don't want her first impression of school to be that it's some sort of prison where it's freezing cold (open windows) and you can't talk to or play with other kids. So, there's a very good chance that the schools in Elmhurst won't work for her.

Meanwhile, I am not religious. I've never been to church. I have no problem enrolling my kid in a religious school, but the ones I've talked to require that you attend a church (a church recommendation is required). I feel as though it is not ethical to say I attend church when I don't and I don't really have any desire to do so.

So, where does that leave parents like me? I can't just quit my job because I own a small business. If I close the business 23 people lose their jobs. My husband cannot teach while working from home. I feel so trapped and the real killer is that part of the reason we moved to Elmhurst was for the "good schools."
Avery Coonley is the famously top-notch secular school that I'm aware of in the western suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Don't be shocked about the private schools' leftist activism either, however. I've noticed that an administrator at my alma mater has one of those left-wing signs perched behind her when she's on the Zoom calls from her campus office. I mentioned it to the headmaster, who is apparently called the 'head of school' now, and they acted like I was crazy for pointing out that these signs were political in nature. SignsofJustice.org is a left-wing organization. While I don't think teachers should be muzzled, I also don't think that children should be taught ideological politics so matter of factly. It certainly was not that way when I was in that school 10-15 years ago.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Avery Coonley is the famously top-notch secular school that I'm aware of in the western suburbs.
Thanks! That would add a huge commute to my day, but honestly, it would be worth it if it meant real school. It looks like the school is for gifted kids and while my husband and I were both in gifted programs, I don't know if our daughter is there yet. I guess I will apply and find out. We are both in Mensa, so it's not a huge stretch to think she could be, too, right?

Old 02-11-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That would add a huge commute to my day, but honestly, it would be worth it if it meant real school. It looks like the school is for gifted kids and while my husband and I were both in gifted programs, I don't know if our daughter is there yet. I guess I will apply and find out. We are both in Mensa, so it's not a huge stretch to think she could be, too, right?
I imagine your daughter would be far from the only child commuting there from Elmhurst. I don't know if ACS has a bus now, but that might be something to consider too.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I imagine your daughter would be far from the only child commuting there from Elmhurst. I don't know if ACS has a bus now, but that might be something to consider too.
Yeah, who knows. I don't know if she would really get in based on what I am reading. The tuition is pretty scary as well. I know we won't get any financial aid, but I still wasn't planning on spending $30,000/year on school in addition to our crazy taxes.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, who knows. I don't know if she would really get in based on what I am reading. The tuition is pretty scary as well. I know we won't get any financial aid, but I still wasn't planning on spending $30,000/year on school in addition to our crazy taxes.
The parochial schools are usually significantly less expensive. I will say that the tuition inflation has not been nearly as bad as I would have expected. It's not far off from where it was at most schools 10-15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: