Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 618 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I will be moving to Chicago this summer as my wife will be undergoing dental residency for two years. I have two children (ages 3 and 4.5). My eldest will begin kindergarten and my youngest is in preschool. We are looking for a 3 bedroom place.

My priority is safety and a good school for my eldest. My wife will have a car however she has no problem taking the L train to UIC on daily basis. We would like to live in a nice area, budget for rent is about 3-4.5k/monthly. We prefer not to live in an apartment.

Any and all insight is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 05:35 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I wouldn't want to send my kids to CPS so the city is out. In terms of suburbs with good schools you are probably looking at Elmhurst which is a commute straight down I-290 to UIC. That can be pretty miserable most of the day but whatever. The alternative is to take the Metra to OTC downtown and take a bus or shuttle several miles w/sw to UIC's west campus.

UIC's professional campus is served by the pink line. That line just goes to Cicero which isn't a great suburb. You could find a place in Oak Park and she could take the green and transfer to the pink. I would be hesitant having a woman riding the green line through the west side and transferring at Ashland. There have been increasing incidents on CTA trains and platforms.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:54 AM

12 posts, read 11,772 times
Agree with above.
Unfortunately the CPS magnet school exam and app deadline has passed.
Live downtown and goto private catholic.
Live in Metra suburb and drive despite traffic with Metra and Uber as backup.
Many colleagues live in Hinsdale and work at UIC with this plan.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Berwyn- buy a house very close to Cermak road. There are a couple for sale now. Take the Cermak bus to the Cicero Pink line, which is safer than other lines and goes directly to medical complex. Put kids in Catholic or private schools. There are also montessori schools in Berwyn and Oak Park. After your wife completes dental residency you can evaluate whether to stay there or to move. You will probably be able to sell your building for a profit. Then you can move anywhere but you could go to Riverside or Oak Park, Elmhurst or beyond. Of course you could also rent an apartment in a two flat building and you would have more than enough room.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:36 AM

249 posts, read 182,312 times
The number of quality grade schools in Chicago has improved significantly in the past 8 years. I know this from personal experience. 10 years ago it was slim pickings. Now it's a lot different. Unless if you've had your kid in CPS recently you wouldn't know this. For your budget there's a lot of places you can live. West Loop, Little Italy, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Lakeview. If you want to research a particular neighborhood school look at this website. This will give you a lot of info and you can see that many have been improving in the past 8 years.
https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Default.aspx

Some nice suburbs I'd recommend would be Riverside, Lagrange, Oak Park. Anything further and your commute is going to be a royal pain, especially in the winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs