Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times

Advertisements

After doing months of research on the Chicago area, I've come to a few conclusions. As a 30-something single male, I need to be careful picking my area -- I don't want to be the only non-family type in the area.

I'm leaning heavily towards the suburbs, not the city, for several reasons. Cost is clearly a big issue -- ideally, I'd look for a 1200-2000 square foot townhome. It seems I can get this in the suburbs under $300K in a safe area, whereas in the city, I'm looking at 800 square feet in a high-rise for that price.

Safety certainly is an issue. I am the type to spend a lot of time walking around town, often at night, rarely in large groups.

I am a sports nut, particularly hockey. My impression of Chicago has always been the suburbs are far more into hockey than the city, and my research has supported that theory.

New construction (in other words, not previously lived in) is almost a necessity, short of some sort of proof there was no cigarette smoking, potpourri, or cats in the unit (either can linger for months, and at best, would result in sinus infections that would make my early days in town miserable!)

Being close to a walkable downtown with at least some bars, restaurants, shopping, would be a huge plus.

So, at the risk of making this a selfish thread.... which would be the best suburb for myself, or someone like me?

Thanks in advance -- you have all been incredibly helpful in the past!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Naperville pops to mind.

It's kind of important to know where you work. I'd hate to recommend Orland Park only to find out you work in Waukegan.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 PM

More than likely, the workplace will be either determined by myself, or it will be home-based... so that is very flexible to say the least.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
All right then. Naperville seems like a decent bet. It has a pretty decent singles scene and a nice downtown with a number of bars and restaurants. The problem is that the kind of housing you're after is typically a few miles from downtown, so you wouldn't likely be walking to and from downtown and your pad.

I also think you overestimate the cost of a condo in Chicago. If you don't have to be right in the middle of a super-hip neighborhood, you can find plenty of new construction at the bottom end of your size requirement for under 300K. You might also consider Evanston.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I'd go with Evanston, near the downtown (though price may kill this one). Downtown Naperville may have some singles scene, but it's still family central--and this demographic clearly dominates life there. Evanston has a more funky college town quality to it that can be nice, and seems more city-like. And Evanston is very well connected to the happenin' North Side neighborhoods in Chicago while Naperville is REALLY fricken' out there. Neither one of these suburbs is cheap, but of course Evanston will have townhome prices that aren't really discounted that much from the city, unfortunately.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Evanston is a place I've investigated quite a bit. Yes, you are right, it is not cheap. In fact, I'm finding prices to be higher than in my area of Southern California -- the best I've found for new construction is 1800 square foot condos for about $450K in what I'm told would be a questionable area as far as walking in the evening.

Naperville, I've heard mixed comments. Some say there are indeed young people there, but I also hear it's very much family-oriented. Nothing against that, it's great, but for someone in my position, it's been tough in the past to meet people in that situation. Even if there's people your age, if they have kids and you don't, there isn't all that much in common to talk about after a few minutes.

Thanks again!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:30 PM

What are the thoughts on the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area for someone in my situation? I'm relatively familar with the area from the past -- albeit 6-7 years ago now -- it has a lot of nightlife, not really a traditional downtown, but a lot of energy it seemed. As a hockey fan, the places I'll be headed a lot in the evenings are the United Center, Rosemont, Rockford, Milwaukee... the NW is a little more central to those places.

I should also add -- for bars/restaurants, I'm looking a lot more for casual sports bars or Bennigan's-level places than anything trendy or any nightclubs. However, some of the blues bars appeal to me, but I anticipate most of that will be destination trips into areas of the central city?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,058 times
Schaumburg/Roselle area , Naperville area, Wheaton area for a 30 plus Guy. Lots of activity, nightclubs, sports stuff.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:53 PM

I don't know much about Wheaton, other than Wheaton College is there. I know the college is pretty conservative, and to be honest, I am concerned a little about fitting in at such an environment. Is the city quite conservative as well? I consider myself open-minded, but I've found in the past some ultra-conservatives aren't really open to people with different opinions.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default south loop

Try maybe the south loop or west loop. You should be able to find a condo there for under 300K. Schaumburg is a great area for shopping and eating but is generally for families. There are some venues in Woodfield including the improv and GameWorks but mostly couples from what I have seen.

The city is where it is at for a single person such as yourself though I do think Evanston would be good too if you could find something in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs