Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times

Advertisements

I want to know everybody's opinion on which suburb of Chicago have the worst reputation ?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:34 PM

23 posts, read 92,387 times
Darien, my hometown cause hardly anybody I know in the city knows where it is lol

Getting back to the question, I'd say Maywood with its gangs and murders in the otherwise low crime West Suburban area. Also strange considering it borders nice areas such as Oak Park, River Forest and Forest Park.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:42 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,663 times
It's not the obvious choice, but I'd say probably Naperville...it carries a stigma that when mentioned, many people who are from or live in Chicago say they wouldn't live there - too much traffic, too much money, too much discrimination. Personally, parts of it are just fine and parts of it I can do without.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:48 PM

37 posts, read 115,432 times
None of them have as bad of a reputation as Gary.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
It's not the obvious choice, but I'd say probably Naperville...it carries a stigma that when mentioned, many people who are from or live in Chicago say they wouldn't live there - too much traffic, too much money, too much discrimination. Personally, parts of it are just fine and parts of it I can do without.
I would agree with this.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM

15 posts, read 93,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
I'm totally shocked to read this. I reside in a South Surburb and people act like Naperville is the Holy Grail. They are always commenting that it is upper-scale, and all the schools are Golden Apple schools; basically there's no need for private school because the public schools are on the same equivalency.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Ford Heights
Problems with local police, so Cook County sheriff patrols. Arguably the worst school district in Illinois.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Harvey Resident View Post
I'm totally shocked to read this. I reside in a South Surburb and people act like Naperville is the Holy Grail. They are always commenting that it is upper-scale, and all the schools are Golden Apple schools; basically there's no need for private school because the public schools are on the same equivalency.
Maybe the stigma only resides with folks who live in the areas around Naperville. When I lived in the western burbs several years ago, Naperville was an okay place to grab a pint, but I didn't want to live there - I preferred Wheaton (the older, non-ultra rich part).

Old 07-03-2008, 01:39 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Actually Harvey, IL have the poorest school district in Illinois where most of the schools are over 90% low income.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Harvey Resident View Post
It is a very nice town for the most part, but its reputation is way overblown. People stereotype it as all-white, soccer-moms driving Porsche SUVs, people sippin lattes at the park, etc. Im sure there are people there who fit that stereotype, but its not even close to being allllll like that, ya know? And thats what, IMO, gives it a bad reputation. Now, normally bad reputations include high-crime areas, delapidated old burbs, etc, but Im looking at it the other way. Naperville has a bad reputation from all the stereotypes, which arent always true.

If I was to mention towns that have bad reps based on crime, etc, Id choose Aurora, Carpentersville, Maywood, Elgin, Joliet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs