Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,775 times

Advertisements

I was born in raise in Chicago Heights. Every thing you guys are saying can be true and also can just be how you see things. I learn this a long time ago if you are not the kind of person who starts trouble then you have nothing to worry about. I have never had a problem here, and I am a very low key person. As for the other areas like Park forest etc they all have problems. I would not turn my back in any area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,455 times
I would strongly caution anyone against moving into Chicago Heights, particularly with children or if you are elderly. My parents live east of Chicago Road and north of Lincoln Highway and their home has been broken into 7 times in 5 years. Their neighbor was carjacked in her driveway, and recently was held at gunpoint by multiple home invaders in her own home. There are nice houses and pleasant neighbors there, true, but I am afraid those are just as likely to be targets, if not more, than less affluent neighborhoods within the city.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levans32 View Post
Never lived in the heights but nearby....as i have said before compared to Chicago its HEAVEN...nothing is as bad as the CHI. You just need to watch your back and know your way around, there are shootings our there and drug activities but now adays thats every where unless you got the big dollas to say in the BIG DOLLAR neighborhoods (i.e Tinley park, frankfort, Flossmoor,ect) I wouldnt live out there if i could avoid it but as far as travel out there is no prob, the movies and shopping are safe...I go all the time.
Yeah I'd stay in the vicinity of those suburbs you named.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjssc77 View Post
I learn this a long time ago if you are not the kind of person who starts trouble then you have nothing to worry about.
Although it's not always true, this is a good rule of thumb that isn't stressed enough..

Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
n/m

Last edited by linicx; 03-18-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM

hahaha.. My first three City-Data posts ever are on the fourth page of this thread. It's cool that this thread was revived.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 PM

175 posts, read 637,489 times
Interesting post - I'm just curious, would I be safe making a drive from Dyer IN to the 211th/Lincoln Hwy Metra station? I'm reading some posts that say Lincoln Hwy is awful??? Now, I know I'd be driving right through Ford Heights and Chicago Heights, but seriously, is driving really a concern? Just looking at all options and though I'm not terribly high on living in IN, my wife is starting to sway me a little and Dyer seems like a decent choice. I certainly don't want to feel unsafe though driving to/from the train station 2x a day. Any feedback here would be much appreciated!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch101 View Post
Interesting post - I'm just curious, would I be safe making a drive from Dyer IN to the 211th/Lincoln Hwy Metra station? I'm reading some posts that say Lincoln Hwy is awful??? Now, I know I'd be driving right through Ford Heights and Chicago Heights, but seriously, is driving really a concern? Just looking at all options and though I'm not terribly high on living in IN, my wife is starting to sway me a little and Dyer seems like a decent choice. I certainly don't want to feel unsafe though driving to/from the train station 2x a day. Any feedback here would be much appreciated!
Lincoln Highway is a major road. Yes, Ford Heights is a rough area. But you will be passing though it on a highway with cars in front and back of you. I've passed through Ford Heights on Lincoln Highway at around 2am before and even then there were several other cars on the road. What is it that you think is gonna happen? Do you drive some kind of a super expensive luxury car or something? What is it that makes you so special that you think you and your car will be singled out? You don't seriously believe that you're the only white person to pass through Ford Heights, do you? All of these posters who talk about how terrible Ford Heights looks are saying this because they themselves have driven through it.

And besides, you can always completely bypass ford Heights and Chicago Heights by taking Sauk Trail instead, anyway. Right after you cross the state line on Route 30, you'll see that this is an option. And then you can go to the Richton Park train station instead.

Last edited by urza216; 03-21-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM

175 posts, read 637,489 times
You are right, I have heard a ton of horrible things about Ford Heights on this forum! Nothing is so special about me nor do I drive a luxury car. Just an average Joe looking commuting! That's it. I just don't want to be putting my family in a dangerous situation on a daily basis. But if Lincoln is truly just a normal highway, then no big deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Lincoln Highway is a major road. Yes, Ford Heights is a rough area. But you will be passing though it on a highway with cars in front and back of you. I've passed through Ford Heights on Lincoln Highway at around 2am before and even then there were several other cars on the road. What is it that you think is gonna happen? Do you drive some kind of a super expensive luxury car or something? What is it that makes you so special that you think you and your car will be singled out? You don't seriously believe that you're the only white person to pass through Ford Heights, do you? All of these posters who talk about how terrible Ford Heights looks are saying this because they themselves have driven through it.

And besides, you can always completely bypass ford Heights and Chicago Heights by taking Sauk Trail instead, anyway. Right after you cross the state line on Route 30, you'll see that this is an option. And then you can go to the Richton Park train station instead.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,256 times
Dyer, Indiana and Ford Heights are neighbors along the illinois/indiana border. It's almost impossible to live in dyer without traveling through ford heights atleast every now and then unless you never take I-394 which exits there. That being said, ford heights and that stretch of chicago heights east of halsted is mostly a run down industrial area. The sparsely populated ghetto residential area surrounding the operational industrial plants, scrap yards, and dilapidated vacant industrial buildings has been losing population heavily for decades. Most of the run down apartments in ford heights have been torn down and mostly large vacant land now remains.

What you will see is lots of trucks, some heavy industrial plants in operation such as the large ford auto stamping plant which is located along that stretch of lincoln highway in ford heights, and a very run down industrial area. The run down housing in and around the industrial area is becoming more sparse and boarded up as every year passes. Unless you are driving around there to buy crack or pick up a prostitute you will not encounter any problems. You see all kinds of expensive cars exiting and heading towards I-394 highway along this stretch. There are also a couple of upscale adult entertainment clubs located in the area as well.

Here are two youtube videos of a guy riding his bicycle from the direction of dyer, indiana to ford heights and chicago heights along that stretch of lincoln highway to give those not familiar a better idea.

The Ford Heights stretch heading towards chicago heights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sBvM...eature=related

Chicago Heights Stretch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnqJhCGPQ8

Last edited by allen2323; 03-21-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs