Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM

34 posts, read 45,217 times

Advertisements

What about Tinley Park elementary school districts, especially Kruse and Central? Are there any problems that a future resident of Orland Park that uses these schools should now. How diverse are these schools and how are their academics rated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Default East part of Orland park

Can anyone comment on the east side of Orland Park, particularly the area called Catalina off of Wheeler and Harlem. I believe this part of Orland uses Tinley elementary schools and is has some pretty affordable bi levels and ranches. Will this area hold up and is it diverse?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Must have a real mansion?

Its funny, but according to the Multiple Listing Service of Illinois, the most expensive single family home ever sold in Berwyn is $475,000. I am searching for a home in the Orland Park and maybe Elmhurst area for $400,000 or so. So, get your facts right unless you have a Berwyn mansion that we would all love to hear about.
P.S.- you must have solid gold fixtures and marble toilets.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
You're trying to buy diversity insurance and if houses in Berwyn are selling near or over your budget (often times to Hispanics) well..... You see where I'm going with that.
That's funny, but you're right. Diversity insurance as I understand it means living in a very affluent suburb where minorities can't afford to buy homes. But if your budget is only $400K, you might as well be resigned to the fact that you're going to have to live with non-white neighbors. And even in the ritzy burbs, you'll see more minorities (usually Asian, Indo-Pakistani, Jewish, and Middle Eastern) than you'll be comfortable living with. You can run, but you can't hide.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
That's funny, but you're right. Diversity insurance as I understand it means living in a very affluent suburb where minorities can't afford to buy homes. But if your budget is only $400K, you might as well be resigned to the fact that you're going to have to live with non-white neighbors. And even in the ritzy burbs, you'll see more minorities (usually Asian, Indo-Pakistani, Jewish, and Middle Eastern) than you'll be comfortable living with. You can run, but you can't hide.
I mean, that's really what we're talking about here. May as well be honest between us girls. I'm not trying to belittle someone's financial situation, or play "my house is better than your house," I'm just saying that the sum in question will yield a thin policy for someone who (admittedly) only wants to live around affluent white folks.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM

142 posts, read 427,384 times
I really don't see the Western parts of Tinley or any part of Orland going through too much demographic change in the future. The reason, I think, is overt racism. Some family friends live right near the Orland/Tinley border (159th and Harlem) and have Arab neighbors. The father is a dentist, the mother stays home. They have 2 well-behaved children. They also are basically shunned by the white majority in their neighborhood.

The Arab migration south down Harlem Ave. will not go too much past Rt. 83 in Palos Heights. There is simply too much fear in Palos, Orland, and Tinley. And I don't see the white majority fleeing, either. Let's not forget the Palos Hts. mosque debacle:

Chicago suburb sued over mosque issue | Christian Century | Find Articles at BNET

I think that Palos, Orland, and Tinley (mostly west of Ridgeland) will be free from minority infiltration for the near future. You can put your fears to rest.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM

74 posts, read 286,057 times
There are some excellent schools in the tinley and orland area. They feed into two different high school districts (I am an educator) and both are good.
However, most tend to prefer to live on the side of tinley where there kids will feed into district 230; in tinley that would be Andrew.
If you live on the eastern side of tinley (I am not sure exactly where the boundries are) then your kids would feed into district 228 (Tinley Park high school). Generally I believe, but may be wrong, that most homes on the east side of oak park ave are going to feed into district 228 schools.
Both schools are very different, but both excellent schools. Most tend to believe Andrew is far better, but TPHS is an excellent institution. I would suggest going into the high schools your kids may eventually go to and get a feel for yourself.
Schools are very receptive to perspective parents wanting to visit their schools. Just call ahead and someone from the school will provide information, walk you around the school, and possibly even meet a teacher or two along with a few of the admins and guidance counselors.
Good luck and feel good knowing either way your in a good area for quality education for your children!

Last edited by Npk07021971; 09-24-2008 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: mis-spellings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs