Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM

274 posts, read 708,942 times

Advertisements

The reason why people like the North and West burbs over the South burbs are because of their standards. Whites usually have pretty high standards when it comes to buying a house, unlike Black, Mexican, ect. When whites move to a suburb, they want Top of the Notch schools, while blacks/mexicans will want decent. Whites want everything in their new home to be modern and up to date. Most blacks that I know of won't go crazy if their new home didn't have granite and stain less steel appilances. Whites also get mad if the town their looking in doesn't have enough commerical business. Other races don't mind as much to drive to the next town to do business. If you think what im saying is complete BS, watch House Hunters on HGTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
The reason why people like the North and West burbs over the South burbs are because of their standards. Whites usually have pretty high standards when it comes to buying a house, unlike Black, Mexican, ect. When whites move to a suburb, they want Top of the Notch schools, while blacks/mexicans will want decent. Whites want everything in their new home to be modern and up to date. Most blacks that I know of won't go crazy if their new home didn't have granite and stain less steel appilances. Whites also get mad if the town their looking in doesn't have enough commerical business. Other races don't mind as much to drive to the next town to do business. If you think what im saying is complete BS, watch House Hunters on HGTV.
I'm not sure if whites have higher standards, but on average they have higher incomes and greater wealth.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
I agree with you, thats what I'm noticing on this website. I giggle a little bit what some people on here consider bad.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
You would giggle because of where you are from. It makes perfect sense. You probably think 154th and Turlington is top notch living.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
You would giggle because of where you are from. It makes perfect sense. You probably think 154th and Turlington is top notch living.
Oh no, Turlington St is one of the crappier streets in Harvey. I know one thing though, I take CCH or Matteson before Midlothian. What suburb/city neigborhood up north do you live in?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You're the main reason why I posted my comment about Whites having high standards

Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 PM

What's your point? Have you ever visited Harvey off of Wood St. or Chicago Heights off of Wentworth Ave or Division? The south burbs are every bit as ghetto as any hood in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Oh no, Turlington St is one of the crappier streets in Harvey.
I know. I almost got robbed/shot/killed on that street. And to be a crappy street in Harvey, it's got to be a war zone. On the real.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
What's your point? Have you ever visited Harvey off of Wood St. or Chicago Heights off of Wentworth Ave or Division? The south burbs are every bit as ghetto as any hood in Chicago.

I know. I almost got robbed/shot/killed on that street. And to be a crappy street in Harvey, it's got to be a war zone. On the real.
Of course, I live in Harvey. Matter of fact I live close to Wood St; a few blocks west of it. Where at on Wood st. did you almost got robbed/mugged? Generally speaking, Wood St. in Harvey stretch from 147th to 160th something. There is a obvious difference between the city rough areas and the suburban version.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:

And to add to Chicagoland's question, what were you doing out there?
( Im not trying to be rude to you AT1WithNature.)

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM

I was foolish in my youth. Let's leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
There is a obvious difference between the city rough areas and the suburban version.
A difference in appearance, perhaps, but the threat is just the same.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 02-15-2009 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs