Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 PM

9 posts, read 22,482 times

Advertisements

Hello guys. I am moving to Great Lakes in august because I got orders there (Navy). However, I am a bit confused bc I don't know where I should rent a home (1 bedroom condo or so no more than $1000). I have to go to work in the morning on the base in Great Lakes but I am also planning on attending Illinois technical institute (part time) which is close to Chicago. Mainly I want to be closer to my work but not far from school. Something like Prospect Hights or Arlington Hights or even a little bit up north. I would like a place that has life and u have a downtown where u can do stuff and maybe a park close buy and of course the Metra nearby.
Also, how long it takes to get from great lakes to chicago by car and then by train during both rush hours and when there is no rush hour?

I really appreciate any help. I am kind of bumped bc I have never moved so far (I live in VA) and it's scarry not to know where u going
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Illinois Technical Institute? I just Googled it and it's in Homewood. If that's correct, you need to be sure about this plan. Great Lakes and Homewood are opposite ends of the world up here and if there's even a hint of traffic, you're in a world of pain.

If you want to stick with this plan, maybe consider Evanston. It's kind of/sort of half way between and near the Metra line. It has a great downtown for someone your age (I'm assuming 20's or 30's?).

The other thing to look at is the Metra site. Trains to Homewood are out of Millenium Station downtown Chicago. Trains to Great Lakes are out of Ogilvie Station downtown Chicago. This is not a quick switch, so you want to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Lastly, I know NOTHING about technical colleges, but there's one in Kenosha, WI and that might actually be an easier commute from Great Lakes. You wouldn't be fighting all the city traffic-- much less of a headache. Gateway Technical College

Sorry in advance if the Kenosha school is a bonehead idea.

Good luck!!

PS. Don't be too scared. Chicagoans talk faster (and swear more) than Southerners, but deep down, we're just Midwesterners-- very friendly and helpful on the whole.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM

Okay, so I ahve decided to live in the north side, to attend Lake Community (which is in Great lakes) college until I get all the classes and after 1 yr transfer south to Nortwestern univ.
So, my question now is what city around Great Lakes is a nice place to live in, has a nice downtown and has a Metra station?

Thank u in advance for all of your help.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,116 times
You don't want to move to Waukegan... Maybe Zion would be good for you>>

Old 02-20-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
You don't want to move to Waukegan... Maybe Zion would be good for you>>
hm...I looked it up and Zion is very much North. Even North of Great Lakes. I would liek to be closer to Chicago. How about Wheeling or Glenview? Is there any way to connect from Brown/Orange line where Glenview is to the GreenLine towards Great Lakes? How is the city life in these cities? Can I find a safe nice apartm complex 1bdr 1 bath ata round $900?

Thanks so much for all your inputs!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Also is there any worth in keeping 2 cars?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Well.. Zion is good because it has a nice lake front.. unlike Waukegan, The rent would be less expensive and it has the train that goes to Great lakes all down the line as well as goes north to Milwaukee.................

Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Glenview is very expensive and Wheeling , I just think is a dump.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Glenview is very expensive and Wheeling , I just think is a dump.
Looks that Zion is a good place... I would definately look into that. At least for 6 month until I get used to the area. It's not a top priority bc I still want to south to be south of Great Lakes but since u guys recommend it... I guess it's a good place for starters .

How about Arlington Heights, Highland Park or Highwood? I found a nice apartment complex in Arligton Heights but somebody on the blog said bad stuff about the city..somethign about high crime and prostittutes and all that. Anybody any suggestions?

Also a question about Metra. If I live lets say in Glenview which is on the orange/brown Metra line and I need to go to the base in Great Lake which is on the green line to get from orange to green, Metra goes all the way to downtown Chicago to make the connection? There is no connection between lines further north?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the time u take to answer my dummy questions. It's sucks so bad to have no idea where u gonna move and have to be there for 3 yr.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM

92 posts, read 445,654 times
LOL Wheeling is like most of the middle-class burbs, in my opinion. I just moved to an apt here last fall, and the area is not bad at all. I was hesitant at first, but the area I found is pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs