Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM

26 posts, read 75,453 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I am looking to rent my house out (three bedroom, 1 bath, brick townhome, private dvwy, basement, 1200 sq ft) this summer so that my husband and I can relocate to Charlotte, NC. I am interested in opening up the opportunity for renting to Section 8 applicants, because I understand that there is a guarantee on rent. Nevertheless, I have also heard that sometimes rent can be held up for reasons as small as the house/apartment that the tenant uses not being clean or that the section 8er can up and leave in spite of having a contract with the landlord..

can anybody verify or refute that information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Being an absentee landlord AND renting to section 8 tenants is asking for absolute disaster.

You'd be much better off finding a reputable property management company to rent out and care for your property while you are out of state.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Any tennant can up and leave.

My gut says that those renting with a Section 8 provision are probably amongst the least likely to do so, given the subsidy.

I agree with the previous poster that being an out of state landlord is not a good position, Section 8, or not.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Being an absentee landlord AND renting to section 8 tenants is asking for absolute disaster.

You'd be much better off finding a reputable property management company to rent out and care for your property while you are out of state.
Not all Section 8ers are "bad." There are elderly and disabled persons in the program as well (we did research on this for our community and about half of them fit into one of those two categories).

But I'd definitely be extremely careful going this route and do my homework on the prospective tenant. It's great to get a steady rent check but that won't do you much good if the tenant destroys the place and all your neighbors want to either move or kill you right?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,164 times
Where do you live: this is a coincidence: I am being relocated from Charlotte to Atlanta and need a rental house for me and my 2 kids. If it is N.Fulton Area that might be a deal. Do you need any info on Charlotte. I got the 411.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

Well, my brother and sister in laws are trustworthy and reliable, they will manage the house for us while we are in Charlotte...they are also landlords

Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Mom View Post
Where do you live: this is a coincidence: I am being relocated from Charlotte to Atlanta and need a rental house for me and my 2 kids. If it is N.Fulton Area that might be a deal. Do you need any info on Charlotte. I got the 411.
Hey Scout Mom,

I am in Illinois...wow, I wish I could help you out.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Not all Section 8ers are "bad." There are elderly and disabled persons in the program as well (we did research on this for our community and about half of them fit into one of those two categories).

But I'd definitely be extremely careful going this route and do my homework on the prospective tenant. It's great to get a steady rent check but that won't do you much good if the tenant destroys the place and all your neighbors want to either move or kill you right?
Well, I do live in a quiet community, there are a lot of retirees and people 35 and up with families...we are the youngest couple living on our block. I figure I will heavily screen each applicant. I have some background with that from my experience working at a rental property a few years back. I am just going to be patient...I am sure I will have enough applicants to make an intelligent decision.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Oh I entirely agree about section 8-ers and I'm sorry if my post came out wrong. My point was you have to be VERY careful with the screening of section 8 tenants, something that is hard to do from out of state.

OP, if you have someone trustworthy here to take care of all of that for you, I suspect you will be just fine.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:27 AM

88 posts, read 324,061 times
Section 8 housing is not all bad. Your home will have an inspection, if there is problems you will need to repair them first before renting. Take pictures of the interior and exterior of the home before renting for your files. When repairs are made during the rental of the property take photographs and document.

Best advice I can give you when renting our your home is not to let anyone know you are the owners (put the building in trust). Let the renters know that the building is owned by a group of lawyers and that all requests must be placed in writing to be approved by the group. Just to give you an example of why - even though you have a no pets clause, the renters will call you and plead for a pet for little Johnnie. Playing on sympathies etc..... That is just one example there are soooooooo many more that I could share. Putting distance between you and the renter is your best defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs