Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 29,754 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about the overall situation in Brookfield, but my sister lives in Riverside and they sent their daughter to Riverside-Brookfield High School (even though she was accepted at Fenwick, which is a pretty academically prestigious Catholic school). It was a good decision. She is doing fantastically. They offer lots of AP courses, and, on the whole, her teachers there have been wonderful. It looks like she'll be going to an Ivy League school or equivalent (Duke or Georgetown, for example). I would not hesitate to send one of my kids to RB. (Plus they have a really good football team.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,792 times
Default Villa Park is not bad...

But it isn't good either !! Villa Park local elected officials / government have made VP the laughing stock of the Western suburbs. We cling to the notion of a blue collar community that is known as the garden village. What a load of crap ! A quarter of the homes should be torn down and rebuilt with McMansions. A rebuilding boom to rival neighboring communities like Lombard and Elmhurst.

As for school districts, you have 48 and 45. #45 is huge and is known as VP's main district. It costs more than 48, by a wide margin. #48 has Oakbrook shopping mall and almost all of Oakbrook Terrace as its real estate tax base. If you come to VP, maybe concentrate on south side of village and #48. The schools are going through an examination and something soon may be occurring in the district...for better or for worse.

All in all, an ok village, with a really huge joke of a village board. If things change for the better in a few areas, my village could be a truly outstanding place to live for the next few decades.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,860 times
Brookfield has very good schools... from what I've heard Riverside-Brookfield was just rated very high compared to other high schools in the state, and I think part of Brookfield goes to Lyons Township and that's a really well respected school as well.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 PM

76 posts, read 476,173 times
Cool Gangs...

Hi,
I love the bungalows of Berwyn, but I don't think the schools are getting any better,and I think gangs could be an issue. You might want 2 try looking @ private schools in Oak Park, they are good 2. Brookfield is nice, the schools r good, and I don't think there r any gangs, but i'm not sure. In addition, there is a zoo, the broofield zoo which is nice, and if u moved there u would be close 2 it. Good Luck!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Actually, both Irving and Emerson elementary schools in Berwyn had higher composite 2006 ISAT scores than Lincoln and Congress Park elementary schools in Brookfield. Heritage middle school in Berwyn was only slightly behind Brookfield’s S.E. Gross middle school (81.2 v. 83.1). The Sun-Times and Tribune have the results posted on their websites.

On the whole, Brookfield/LaGrange District 95 did a bit better than Berwyn’s elementary school districts, I will grant you that, but you really have to look at the individual schools in the area you are considering buying in instead of making sweeping generalizations. And despite your assertions that Berwyn’s schools are not improving, they are. The ISAT scores are considerably higher than last year pretty much across the board.

Not trying to be pro-Berwyn here but the facts are the facts. And as to gangs, that is an issue for most inner ring suburbs. I do not see an overwhelming gang problem in either community.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:37 AM

7 posts, read 31,352 times
Default Berwyn is a great choice for many but not all

I think the issue is expectations. Berwyn is a terrific choice for folks that like the City-type experience without the hassle and expense of Chicago. Like other towns of its ilk, the HS has issues. The new changes pending sound promising-- it's about time MW split from the cesspool of ME. I agree with posters who have noted the bad attitude of some teachers-- that may change once changes have been implemented. You can't beat the value in the home stock in Berwyn and the proximity of the City, and it is safer than Oak Park.... So for the time being, you need to send your kids to private school for HS, that's not bad! At least you can. Could you do that as easily in the City? Today you have many choices and that's great... BTW-- did they change the borders? In my day everyone East of Ridgeland went to Morton East. Berwyn is up and coming & when the spindle goes down I will also be pleased. Also, give North Berwyn a look, the driving to the City is easier and it's better for the blue line. The superiority of the west side of Berwyn over east side has been the case for many years (Cicero proximity), that will take longer to change. But, Berwyn is a better choice than many trendy City neighborhoods & Forest Park-- those schools are really bad and they have no action plan.... Unlike Berwyn who has many folks working for a better Berwyn... If you have more $ and don't need to drive in to the City-- La Grange & La Grange Park are terrific, no downside except they cost much, much more.... and forget Brookfield too run down and poorly run... no hope there, it's like Villa Park waiting to happen... My 2 cents. Good luck...

Old 09-22-2007, 02:14 AM

4 posts, read 19,195 times
[quote=Shelley;52399] Kids from Berwyn do NOT go to Morton East. They go to Morton West. There is a new Superintendent there and a brand new principal.

Those people were put in there by the same board running morton east. They will never allow a split in the district. the hs board is controlled by CICERO. You are selling magic beans and pipe dreams.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 25,422 times
Default Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign

[quote=MNYMGR1;68604] "But it isn't good either !! Villa Park local elected officials / government have made VP the laughing stock of the Western suburbs. "

The lady speaks the truth here. Villa Park is widely known for it's business unfriendly atmosphere...even before it was incorporated.

I was told that V.P. was to be the original location for the Oakbrook Center Mall, but the local officials were so obnoxious they moved it to Oak Brook.

My sister-in-law found a parking ticket on her windshield one morning after parking there overnight on a residential street. I went with her to the V.P. police station the next morning to complain about it. My sis-in-law explained that she shouldn't have to pay it because there were no signs prohibiting overnight parking.

The officer explained that the signs were posted on the outskirts of town on every major street, and that she should have read them as she drove in!!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:03 PM

11 posts, read 63,154 times
More On Villa Park Please, Like Us It Going Downhill? Which Schools Suck, And Is There Really Gang Trouble There?

Old 01-11-2008, 02:42 PM

43 posts, read 159,820 times
I also would like information on living in the Brookfield area - how are rentals, live music, food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs