Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM

126 posts, read 210,498 times

Advertisements

Nearly four months ago I posted a few words about the Baha'i temple in Chicago. I would like to add a few more details as an encouragement to others to visit a building that a former Dean of the College of Fine and Applied Arts at the University of Illinois referred to as possessing "a beauty not matched by any domical structure since the construction of Michelangelo's dome on the Basilica of St. Peter in Rome."

Known as a Bahá'í House of Worship it is located in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. It is also referred to by Baha'is as the "Mother Temple of the West" since it was the first House of Worship constructed in the Western Hemisphere. It was the second House of Worship to be constructed by the Baha'i community and it is the oldest one still standing. The first one, in 'Ishqábád, was confiscated and ultimately destroyed by Soviet authorities.

The soil was first turned for this place of worship on May 1, 1912, in a ceremony blessed with the presence and participation of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, the Baha'i Faith's prophet-founder's son and then leader of the international Baha'i community, while on his Western travels. However, construction did not begin in earnest until 1920. It was formally dedicated on May 1, 1953. Like all Baha'i Houses of Worship, this one in Wilmette has nine sides and a dome. It is surrounded by exquisite gardens and fountains. Inscribed on the inside and outside of the House are verses from the Bahá'í Writings. In the basement of the House, one will find the Visitor's Center, Foundation Hall and the Cornerstone Room. In this room one will find the cornerstone for this ediface and the very chair once used by 'Abdu'l-Bahá.

In 1920, a distinguished architect and the then President of the Architectural League, H. Van Buren Magonigle, made the comment that this most beautiful building was "the first new idea in architecture since the 13th century."

Last edited by RonPrice; 08-20-2007 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: To add two short paragraphs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
If you're Catholic, you'll have no problem. This is a very Catholic city, and even if you live in the suburbs, you'll easily find a Catholic church close by.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
Why not Evergreen Park? Called "The Village of Churches" . Three large Catholic parishes, Little Company of Mary Hospital and Saint Xavier College.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:54 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
May I quibble? The Bahai house of worship is not in Chicago or Wilmette. I believe it is in Evanston.

As to Catholics, the Chicago archdiocese is the second largest in the nation. So there certainly is a whole passel of Catholics in the Chicago area. There's also the Greek Orthodox congregations, the Polish Roman Catholics and the Old Holy Roman Catholics, none of whom are Roman Catholics. There's Father Greeley and Father Pfleger, too. It's debatable which religion they follow.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
Bahai temple is in Wilmette.

And the Polish Roman Catholics are Roman Catholics. Remember who our last Pope was?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
Bahai temple is in Wilmette.

And the Polish Roman Catholics are Roman Catholics. Remember who our last Pope was?
I'm sorry. The Polish Roman Catholic Church is an offshoot of Roman Catholicism and it is a different religion. Check Welcome to the Polish National Catholic Church (PNCC)!

"The Polish National Catholic Church is a CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION,
formed in 1897 in Scranton, Pennsylvania. "

Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,628 times
This entire area is loaded with people who have Polish, Italian, Hispanic roots. So it's hard to imagine that you'd have problems with being who you are.

You might have a problem with the fact that in reality the vast majority in this area are pagans. As the other poster mentioned, the main worshipped diety is known as Dollar Alimighty. Other dieties include Dollar's son Buying Power, daughter Equity and mistress Property Value.

Last edited by outsider1; 10-08-2007 at 11:58 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
well, ya learn something new everyday, thanks Manigault. Grew up in the Polish neighborhood on the NW side and never heard of such a thing. I guess we were Roman Catholics Who Happened to Be Polish

Last edited by mdz; 10-09-2007 at 06:30 AM..

Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
well, ya learn something new everyday, thanks Manigault. Grew up in the Polish neighborhood on the NW side and never heard of such a thing. I guess we were Roman Catholics Who Happened to Be Polish
Dzien dobre, y'all!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:50 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,014 times
You don't need to worry too much about it- Chicago suburbs have very diverse religions-- You really can't be out of place.. However, the south suburbs are known as South Side Irish, so you will find a lot of Catholics there. You can't go a block without hitting a Catholic school in Beverly, Orland Park. SInce the population is diverse, everyone is very accepting of other religions. It's not like the south, you won't be shunned from the community if your Jewish, Catholic or whatever : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs