Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times

Advertisements

Let me put it this way, Will and DuPage Counties (among others) are in the Joliet Diocese, not the Chicago Archdiocese. The Joliet Diocese has more members then some large cities elsewhere in the country, like Denver. So, you will absolutely be surrounded by Catholics almost anywhere in Chicago. Chicago is also a very diverse and fairly open minded area in regards to religion. Cardinal Francis George went to an Iftar at a suburban mosque Tuesday night (a Muslim dinner at the end of the day, during Rammadan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 PM

281 posts, read 928,159 times
The town of Mundelein was named after the first Cardinal Archbishop of Chicago. It is home to the St. Mary by the Lake Seminary and the beautiful Marytown shrine. St. Peter's in Volo has a regular Latin Tridentine mass (with diocesan approval), in a lovely old German Gothic building. There are large beautiful Catholic churches all over Chicagoland.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 AM

126 posts, read 210,498 times
I live in Tasmania and I am the person who posted the item about the Baha'i temple nearly five months ago. As far as the suburb of Chicago in which the Baha'i temple is found--I leave that to locals. I have always been impressed with its beauty and, although I'd like to get the suburb right(I'll check it out on the www), I have become increasingly amazed as I've got older(and been associated with this new world Faith for 53 years now) with the diversity of architecture in the international Baha'i community.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 PM

22 posts, read 81,665 times
Default Even Wheaton has a big Catholic Church

I would agree with everyone that you won't feel out of place being Catholic in this area. I'm a professional singer and have sung at many Catholic Churches and they are all over the place - the poor neighborhoods and in the upper crust neighborhoods.

There's even an enormous Catholic Church (St. Mary's I believe) in downtown Wheaton, which seems like a very evangelical town to me.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 AM

281 posts, read 928,159 times
Wheaton College is Billy Graham's alma mater. There is a large evangelical presence in DuPage county along with everything else. I'm an Episcopalian. The Diocese of Chicago is one of the biggest in the country. The Willowbrook Church started the megachurch movement; I believe it's still the largest in the country. You can find pretty much whatever you are looking for here.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 PM

20 posts, read 125,778 times
Default you're safe with me

Hello,
I'm one of those Evangelicals living in Wheaton (gasp!) and my Catholic neighbors and friends and I get along just fine. We even let our kids play together! Just chill, my friend! You're going to be just fine here!

There are at least two very active parishes in Wheaton, St. Michael's (very active parish with a school) in the downtown area with a beautiful new building. It was built to replace one that was sadly destroyed by arson a few years back. On the south end of town there is St. Daniel's. All of the neighboring towns have parishes as well. The Chicago area in general has a large catholic presence...I was in the minority growing up.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
If there is a predominant branch of christianity in the Chicagoland area, I wonder which one it would be.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
If there is a predominant branch of christianity in the Chicagoland area, I wonder which one it would be.
It's been well established by now that it's Roman Catholicism.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Let me put it this way, Will and DuPage Counties (among others) are in the Joliet Diocese, not the Chicago Archdiocese. The Joliet Diocese has more members then some large cities elsewhere in the country, like Denver. So, you will absolutely be surrounded by Catholics almost anywhere in Chicago. Chicago is also a very diverse and fairly open minded area in regards to religion. Cardinal Francis George went to an Iftar at a suburban mosque Tuesday night (a Muslim dinner at the end of the day, during Rammadan).
Did the Cardinal spend the night in another diocese?

I always thought it was interesting that Chicagoland was split up. One Sunday, I went with my uncle to church in Aurora. During the homily, the priest was talking about the Archdiocese and some charitable partnership from his church. So I thought we were in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Later I found out that I was in the Diocese of Rockford that day. After digging some around the net, I realized Naperville (across the county line) is in the Joliet Diocese. Wow it's so confusing compared back to Houston (now the recently elevated Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston).

Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
In Chicago you hear two people mentioned in the local newscasts more frequently than any others: The first is Mayor Daley. The second is Cardinal Francis George. It's amazing to me, as a non-Catholic, how much I know about the life of this man.

Anwway, there are certainly people in Chicago who do look down on others for being religious, but I think you find this to some degree pretty much anywhere that isn't the Bible Belt. Most people live and let live when it comes to religion. But I'd say that the climate for Catholics is much better than for Evangelicals in Chicago... People discuss religion publicly quite a bit less in the north than they do down south, so just be ready for that. It's more taboo up here to go around proselytizing and "witnessing", and that's just fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs