Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 28,648 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Does anyone have any information on this town? Schools? Community life? Downtown? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Hello -- There was just a posting starting on April 17th on Lombard, with several replys, including mine. Check it out for some information on this west suburban Chicago community. Lombard is on the Chicago Northwestern railroad line, now better known as a METRA Line, with commuter service right into downtown Chicago. The community has a large corporate presence, with many office buildings along 22nd St, and also has a large retail tax base due to the Yorktown shopping center, with its adjacent restaurants. Thus, the community has the advantage of being able to keep its residential property tax rate a tad bit lower than nearby suburbs. There is a wonderful park system within the community, and the Prairie Path, along a former railroad, goes right through the town. Downtown Lombard has cruise nights every Saturday in the summer, bringing many people out to look at the classic cars parked downtown. Sadly, unlike some neighboring communities, they are tearing down its classic downtown movie theatre, the DuPage. Maybe it is gone by now. My hubby and I live in Arizona now, but I was back there recently looking at real estate, as we grew up in a nearby town,where we can not afford to live due to very high real estate costs. If we do move back, we would buy in Lombard, as it is more affordable, and the people are friendly. We are Baby Boomers, so we would like to live close to downtown, near the churches, library, railroad station, parks, and stores. School district-wise, Glenbard East HS has a good reputation, as do the elementary feeder schools. I have a cousin who has children in the Villa Park District and she is happy with it, too. No problems. I liked the older section with the narrow streets and old-fashioned streetlights. If you are willing to drive everywhere, the Butterfield subdivision, which is about 40 years old, has some nice,solidly built homes on good-sized lots. The Magic Circle subdivision, in town, is nicely located, too. There is quite a variety of housing, and the tear-down phenomena, which has hit nearby suburbs like Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, and Elmhurst is starting in Lombard, too, with some larger McMansions beginning to appear, if you can afford them. Some condos are popping up downtown, too. Lombard's location is good, with all those beautiful parks, that's why.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 AM

7 posts, read 28,648 times
Thank you for all the information! Do you know how long the commute is to downtown on the Metra? How about to Hoffman Estates? My hubby would be splitting his time in both locations. Also, one of the homes we have looked at online is in Butterfield. It looks like there is a neighborhood school less than a mile away so that isn't bad but from your post it sounds like everything else is a bit away?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:01 PM

198 posts, read 822,320 times
I had a train buddy when I commuted from Elmhurst that lived in Lombard, her commute was about 35/40 minutes - we always took the "express" trains. Metra's website has all its schedules posted. Since the western part of Lombard borders I-355 that will help your husband commute up to Hoffman. You will get a much larger home here than you will in the Schaumburg area and the schools are just as good. I think Butterfield actually has a nice location. Butterfield Road gives that area access to just about anything it needs and Finley is a nice street to travel to avoid all the traffic on other streets. Plus it's close to Roosevelt, the mall, lots of strip malls, Home Depot and the expressway. I like the downtown area but it is getting expensive compared to Butterfield due to the teardowns and development but that will be good for you in a few years because it will eventually raise all the property values up. Be careful in Butterfield that you don't select a home that is locationally challenged (backs to Butterfield, Finley or the expressway). Also make sure you select a home with a 2 car garage and at least 2 baths. I just checked the MLS and there are 14 homes for sale in Butterfield. Good Luck

Old 04-30-2007, 07:59 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Hollyhock - did you grown up in Elmhurst? FYI: everyone who grew up in Elmhurst got priced out because of the teardown mania and the proliferation of the 2 million dollars homes, and now lives in Lombard.

Welcome to the club if you did!

Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
I grew in Elmhurst.I went back to see my old street and there were 3 original bungalow houses (mine included) and 14 McMansions on top of each other.I feel sorry for all the "brick views" those nice old homes must contend with now.We all had such nice yards before and the street seemed far sunnier years ago.But--about Lombard,,nothing wrong with Lombard,nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs