Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Is Port Barrington not real?

I have to confess I've never heard of it before this thread!
It changed it name to include "Barrington", has nothing to do with Barrington's schools, park district, police fire library etc. It was a cheap ploy to improve home values.

I think it was sleazy because the actual intent was to confuse people like the OP into thinking that they were moving into the Barrington community when they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 AM

110 posts, read 161,403 times
Plus when you start searching for home there are a lot of them that just say Barrington until you actually look at the map. Don't know if Port Barrington is good or bad I just knew what schools we wanted so I had to narrow it down quickly. Safe bet being in Barrington Village

Old 09-16-2009, 03:58 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post
Plus when you start searching for home there are a lot of them that just say Barrington until you actually look at the map.
Are your kids in middle school? If so, pay close attention to the school boundaries. If you move to an area bordering Station Middle School, your kids could walk to school. However, if you move to Deer Park or far Eastern Barrington, your kids will have a long bus commute to Prairie Middle School (even though they live very close to Station School). There are also kids in Hoffman Estates that make a long commute to Station School (even though they are much closer to Prairie School). It is strange the way the Middle School boundaries are set up...

Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 PM

216 posts, read 645,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Barrington is mostly upper class, and very, very, very safe. I dont think towns come much safer in the country. lol
The very worst parts of Barrington (I'm not aware of any) would compare well to any average Chicago suburb. The only negative I can think of is traffic. There are times with the trains downtown and Lake-Cook Rd and 59 intersecting downtown and throw in some road or track construction, snowstorm in winter....
Stop and go traffic can hold you up 20 or 30 minutes. Nothing like Chicago traffic, just remarkable for an outer suburb.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,991 times
I am considering to buy a house in barrington. Is this a flooding area & tornado zone? Which area is the best place in raising a kid?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirljie View Post
I am considering to buy a house in barrington. Is this a flooding area & tornado zone? Which area is the best place in raising a kid?
There is no river or anything like that that could flood. I'd expect zoning will keep you out of the lowest areas.

ANY place in Illinois can experience a tornado; no notable history in Barrington.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Are your kids in middle school? If so, pay close attention to the school boundaries. If you move to an area bordering Station Middle School, your kids could walk to school. However, if you move to Deer Park or far Eastern Barrington, your kids will have a long bus commute to Prairie Middle School (even though they live very close to Station School). There are also kids in Hoffman Estates that make a long commute to Station School (even though they are much closer to Prairie School). It is strange the way the Middle School boundaries are set up...
At the moment a 5th and 10th grader. We are going to be very very close to the high school. Not sure what elementary school but my other half knows that info. High school kid will walk for sure. Probably bus for the little guy.

Hough elementary I think

Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirljie View Post
I'm going through this now. No flood zone areas that I have found but with Barrington I think it just a matter of what you can afford. I'm down sizing that made it worse but there are some good values. Some are short sales if you have the time to wait. Others might need a little work. I chose the village because of the proximity of the training (Might need in the future) and the schools were a slam dunk.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post
I'm going through this now. No flood zone areas that I have found but with Barrington I think it just a matter of what you can afford. I'm down sizing that made it worse but there are some good values. Some are short sales if you have the time to wait. Others might need a little work. I chose the village because of the proximity of the training (Might need in the future) and the schools were a slam dunk.
Look I hate to be blunt. If you can afford Barrington move there. It's nice and about as good it's gets around Chicago.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 PM

It's not that expensive in today's real estate market and we are moving there. Maybe I forgot to say that in one of the more recent posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs