Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,889 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I've been offered a job in University Park, and so I'm currently looking for a nice neighborhood to live in. Having lived my entire life in Sweden I don't know much about the Chicago area nor the US in general, but from what I can tell from other threads here, there are certain suburbs that you'd definitely want to avoid.

I would try getting a car as soon as possible after moving (my employer, who is also a good friend, has offered to help me find a car so I can get around), so living reasonably far from University Park wouldn't be a problem (and preferable from what I've heard!).

I'd like to avoid bad neighborhoods as much as possible. And as close to the Chicago city as possible.

Is there any neighborhood that would fulfill these requirements or am I asking too much?

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
As far as south suburbs with a majority of racial minorities go, University Park is one of the nicer one. //www.city-data.com/city/Univer...-Illinois.html
Village of University Park - About Us (http://www.university-park-il.com/aboutus.php - broken link)

I actually worked with a guy that was active in local politics down that way and it seems like they try hard to keep the town nice.

You should know that this a suburban area that is a longish 30 mile drive SW of Chicago, and although there is some public transportation it is highly unlikely to work well for all employment situations. If you are not used to driving in the US you should verify the arrangements as this is kind of a far off place for the traditional areas that would attract expats to Chicago, but there is a link to the local GSU and the much more cosmopolitan University of Chicago so that may be a channel to mine for ideas of where to live.

from: S State St & E Jackson Blvd, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 60604 to: University Park, IL - Google Maps

http://slategroup.uchicago.edu/slatemembers.html

Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM

69 posts, read 393,775 times
I actually have thought about doing the reversal here, moving from the US to sweden. I would be interested to hear your thoughts about the transition when you make it.

Any special reason your moving to Chicago for a job? Is Sweden pretty hard up for a job?

Is Sweden citizenship hard to obtain?

Nate

Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As far as south suburbs with a majority of racial minorities go, University Park is one of the nicer one. //www.city-data.com/city/Univer...-Illinois.html
Village of University Park - About Us (http://www.university-park-il.com/aboutus.php - broken link)

I actually worked with a guy that was active in local politics down that way and it seems like they try hard to keep the town nice.

You should know that this a suburban area that is a longish 30 mile drive SW of Chicago, and although there is some public transportation it is highly unlikely to work well for all employment situations. If you are not used to driving in the US you should verify the arrangements as this is kind of a far off place for the traditional areas that would attract expats to Chicago, but there is a link to the local GSU and the much more cosmopolitan University of Chicago so that may be a channel to mine for ideas of where to live.

from: S State St & E Jackson Blvd, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 60604 to: University Park, IL - Google Maps

SLATE Community
Thanks for your reply! So University Park isn't all that bad, thats good to hear.
I have also been looking at Orland Park lately...some 30 minute drive to University Park, and 42 minute drive to chicago downtown, not too bad.
I should have phrased my first post slightly different...it would be more of a bonus the closer I'd end up to downtown, but its not really a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiLubeck View Post
Don't do it. Stay home ans help save your own country from multi-cult garbage, the US is too far gone. Please, I beg you, support Jimmie Akesson. Please.
Well....You and me seem to have different views on that so that suggestion is out, unfortunately.
Besides, I wouldn't in my wildest dreams support someone as Jimmie Ã…kesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knat_2 View Post
I actually have thought about doing the reversal here, moving from the US to sweden. I would be interested to hear your thoughts about the transition when you make it.

Any special reason your moving to Chicago for a job? Is Sweden pretty hard up for a job?

Is Sweden citizenship hard to obtain?

Nate
Hey Nate!
The reason I'm moving is because I've been promised a job. I'm in college right now, but I'll graduate in 9 months. I'm sure there are plenty of work here in Sweden too, but I just cant turn down an opportunity to work abroad... it would be like a dream come true!

Other than that, Sweden ain't too bad when it comes to work. Not worse than anywhere else I suppose. Sure we've had some industries and companies laying off workers now with the economic problems and all, but if you've got an education I don't think you'll have many problems finding something.

What kind of work would you be looking for? And when would you move?

About the Swedish citizenship, good question! I really have no idea... I would read here (http://www.migrationsverket.se/english.jsp?english/emedborg/emedborg.html - broken link).

If you've got any other questions I'd be happy to help you out.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilN View Post
Thanks for your reply! So University Park isn't all that bad, thats good to hear.
I have also been looking at Orland Park lately...some 30 minute drive to University Park, and 42 minute drive to chicago downtown, not too bad.
I should have phrased my first post slightly different...it would be more of a bonus the closer I'd end up to downtown, but its not really a requirement.
Actually I live in Orland Hills (the neighbor of Orland Park with half the taxes but twice the water bill). I looked around a lot of places and really liked Orland Hills... its cheap, close to everything and still has a neat community feel. Yet its a quick train ride downtown if I want to go downtown.

The biggest problem with this area (Orland/Tinley) is there really isn't much in the way of apartments. You would have more rent renting a house then an apartment.

Quote:
Hey Nate!
The reason I'm moving is because I've been promised a job. I'm in college right now, but I'll graduate in 9 months. I'm sure there are plenty of work here in Sweden too, but I just cant turn down an opportunity to work abroad... it would be like a dream come true!

Other than that, Sweden ain't too bad when it comes to work. Not worse than anywhere else I suppose. Sure we've had some industries and companies laying off workers now with the economic problems and all, but if you've got an education I don't think you'll have many problems finding something.

What kind of work would you be looking for? And when would you move?

About the Swedish citizenship, good question! I really have no idea... I would read here (http://www.migrationsverket.se/english.jsp?english/emedborg/emedborg.html - broken link).

If you've got any other questions I'd be happy to help you out.
Hmmm... interesting. I may look more into that? Have you ever been to this area? Any thoughts as to how Sweden is different then America? I am well educated (Doctorate) in the computer engineering field. And my wife is a Vet Technician and a Teacher. What is your degree in?

Is the tech job market good? What does an average house or apartment cost there?

Nate

Last edited by knat_2; 09-21-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Actually I live in Orland Hills (the neighbor of Orland Park with half the taxes but twice the water bill). I looked around a lot of places and really liked Orland Hills... its cheap, close to everything and still has a neat community feel. Yet its a quick train ride downtown if I want to go downtown.

The biggest problem with this area (Orland/Tinley) is there really isn't much in the way of apartments. You would have more rent renting a house then an apartment.

Hmmm... interesting. I may look more into that? Have you ever been to this area? Any thoughts as to how Sweden is different then America? I am well educated (Doctorate) in the computer engineering field. And my wife is a Vet Technician and a Teacher. What is your degree in?

Is the tech job market good? What does an average house or apartment cost there?

Nate
Thanks for the info! I'll look into Orland Hills, it sounds good!
Too bad about the apartments though... renting a house sounds fun, but I take it that its also alot more expensive.
I've never been to the US so it'll be a new experience for me. About the differences between Sweden and America, I wouldn't know for sure since I've never been to the US. I'm not sure if you're looking for any specific differences but I'll give you a few!
1. There are likely higher taxes in Sweden than in the US. However we do get free healthcare, free university/college education, among other things.
2. We have a "Freedom to roam" law, that is pretty nice, if you like to spend time in the nature.
3. Now I'm not sure about this one, but I think you'll find that Sweden isn't a very religious country as compared to the US.
4. There are very little guns in Sweden, as it is not allowed to own a gun other than hunting rifles, and you'll need a license for that.
5. I believe swedes are less...social. I cant generalize all swedes but this is the feeling I get when I compare swedes to other people.

Dang, I thought I could make a huge list but I'm all out of ideas!

About the average cost for an apartment or house, thats another good question. I am currently living in my first own apartment and its painfully expensive, but then again it is a student apartment situated just next to the college so I guess they can be really expensive and still attract students
It also depends on where you'd want to live, should you choose to live in a small town on the countryside you'll get away much cheaper than if you want to live in any of the bigger cities. The bigger cities have also had a real shortage of apartments lately...I'm not sure on the current situation though.
Any specific city or location you've been looking at?

I dont think you'll have problems getting a tech job actually. My degree is a bachelors degree, computer science with a major in informatics, and I'm pretty sure (or rather, positive) that I can find a job here in Sweden, so I think you can too! The same goes for your wife, I don't think that would be a problem either!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'll look into Orland Hills, it sounds good!
Too bad about the apartments though... renting a house sounds fun, but I take it that its also alot more expensive.
Actually in this area renting a house is similar to renting an apartment... in initial monthly cost anyway. Generally houses include less "stuff" like utilities.

I actually know a lot of people who rent townhomes and apartments just north of there if your interested.

If you don't mind me asking, what company do you plan to work for here in the US?

Quote:
I've never been to the US so it'll be a new experience for me. About the differences between Sweden and America, I wouldn't know for sure since I've never been to the US. I'm not sure if you're looking for any specific differences but I'll give you a few!
1. There are likely higher taxes in Sweden than in the US. However we do get free healthcare, free university/college education, among other things.
2. We have a "Freedom to roam" law, that is pretty nice, if you like to spend time in the nature.
3. Now I'm not sure about this one, but I think you'll find that Sweden isn't a very religious country as compared to the US.
4. There are very little guns in Sweden, as it is not allowed to own a gun other than hunting rifles, and you'll need a license for that.
5. I believe swedes are less...social. I cant generalize all swedes but this is the feeling I get when I compare swedes to other people.

Dang, I thought I could make a huge list but I'm all out of ideas!

About the average cost for an apartment or house, thats another good question. I am currently living in my first own apartment and its painfully expensive, but then again it is a student apartment situated just next to the college so I guess they can be really expensive and still attract students
It also depends on where you'd want to live, should you choose to live in a small town on the countryside you'll get away much cheaper than if you want to live in any of the bigger cities. The bigger cities have also had a real shortage of apartments lately...I'm not sure on the current situation though.
Any specific city or location you've been looking at?

I dont think you'll have problems getting a tech job actually. My degree is a bachelors degree, computer science with a major in informatics, and I'm pretty sure (or rather, positive) that I can find a job here in Sweden, so I think you can too! The same goes for your wife, I don't think that would be a problem either!
So can you tell me what you would pay for rent in your apartment each month? I am just trying to get a sense if they are similar to US rents/houses or not. I am thinking of living in the southern region. Any recommendations?

Again this is all been a dream of mine, who knows if it will happen or not... just curious!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Actually in this area renting a house is similar to renting an apartment... in initial monthly cost anyway. Generally houses include less "stuff" like utilities.

I actually know a lot of people who rent townhomes and apartments just north of there if your interested.
Oh cool! Yeah I'm defenitely interested.

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what company do you plan to work for here in the US?
Sure..hold on!

Quote:
So can you tell me what you would pay for rent in your apartment each month? I am just trying to get a sense if they are similar to US rents/houses or not. I am thinking of living in the southern region. Any recommendations?

Again this is all been a dream of mine, who knows if it will happen or not... just curious!
I pay about 3200 SEK per month, which includes everything...heat, water and electricity. Altough I share kitchen with 4-5 other guys. And not to forget its 20 square meters... so yeah its a way high price for what you get.

Southern region is nice, although the accent gets very...special...the further down you get, so if you ever intend to actually learn swedish (or perhaps you already know it?), you might have problems with the way they sound.
Gothenburg is nice, although I believe there are parts of the town you'd might want to avoid. There's alot of nice medium-sized towns around... Borås and Jönköping being two of them.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Oh cool! Yeah I'm defenitely interested.

Sure..hold on!

I pay about 3200 SEK per month, which includes everything...heat, water and electricity. Altough I share kitchen with 4-5 other guys. And not to forget its 20 square meters... so yeah its a way high price for what you get.

Southern region is nice, although the accent gets very...special...the further down you get, so if you ever intend to actually learn swedish (or perhaps you already know it?), you might have problems with the way they sound.
Gothenburg is nice, although I believe there are parts of the town you'd might want to avoid. There's alot of nice medium-sized towns around... Borås and Jönköping being two of them.
Thanks for the information! It was a pleasant surprise to start thinking about this.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Default moving to Chicago?

Hello,

I saw your post about moving. I have myself lived in Orland, and in Chicagoland for many years. I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have regarding the area. I believe rent, for an apartment, is anywhere from $850 USD for an apartment, including utilities, up to $2,500 USD a month to rent a house. (A large house.) My advice: do NOT move to Orland Park/Hills if you can avoid it. Try Evanston, Andersonville, Wicker Park, Oak Park or any of the Northern suburbs. They will be closer as a commute to the city....plus there is more to do there and the people are more interesting. (No offense to Orlanders.)

Feel free to ask me any questions. Best of luck!
PS I found your post because I would personally LOVE to move to Sweden. I am sick of living here. Guess everyone wants to move, right?

Sage03
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs