Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,648 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about taking a job at UIC that pays $45,000 a year...Currently, I live in Northeast Ohio and make $42,000...the major difference would be my job security, benefits and retirement would be greatly improved...however, is it still worth it? And what are some decent places to rent a house in the Chicagoland area for a family? I don't mind commuting, I currently drive an hour and a half one way. Any advice, assistance, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
UIC is a pretty easy commute from almost anywhere in the region, just a short bus ride from Union Station. Unlike Cleveland, we have commuter trains. It's even easier from towns along the BNSF route with a station on Halsted St, though housing along that line is more expensive.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
It depends if you are on the main undergraduate campus (centered between Rosevelt Halsted Harrison and Racine) or the Prefessional Schools on the West side (centered around Taylor and Damen). The undergrad campus is only a 15-20 minute walk from the downtown metra stations or a short bus ride. On the metra you can live in a wide array of suburbs. There is also a CTA blue line station at Halsted and Racine that is right on campus. The blue line takes you near Park Ridge, Norridge and the Northwest side.

The west campus or medical, pharm, dental etc area you would probably need to bus from the metra station though there is the CTA pink line station there that will allow you to transfer to any of the other CTA lines and also has a station right by Oglevie station at Clinton and Lake where you could connect to the Union Pacific Lines (West, North, and Northwest).

UIC is near the central business district and is not a pleasant drive most of the day and parking is very expensive so public transit would be a better bet.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
Define "decent place to rent a house" and how much you'd want to spend on rent ... I suspect renting a house in a low-crime neighborhood anywhere in the Chicago area might be a lot more expensive than what you're used to in eastern Ohio ...

I live in Naperville, and it's an easy commute downtown. Naperville's also a great place to raise a family. You can find two bedroom townhomes for rent for around $1200 around here, a three bedroom house will run you closer to $2000 a month.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 130,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Define "decent place to rent a house" and how much you'd want to spend on rent ... I suspect renting a house in a low-crime neighborhood anywhere in the Chicago area might be a lot more expensive than what you're used to in eastern Ohio ...

I live in Naperville, and it's an easy commute downtown. Naperville's also a great place to raise a family. You can find two bedroom townhomes for rent for around $1200 around here, a three bedroom house will run you closer to $2000 a month.

How long is your commute into the loop from Naperville.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Very speedy express service on BNSF..

The best trains on the route take 35 minutes with high reliability: http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...mit.y=12#focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanity01 View Post
How long is your commute into the loop from Naperville.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM

198 posts, read 822,481 times
You won't be going all the way into the loop and therefore won't be able to take advantage of the many express trains from the areas further out. UIC is located just north of the Halsted station, that's the only station that is walkable, Union Station downtown is not. I know a number of people that work in the area, some at UIC, others at the hospitals just west of the campus. Most drive in, except those that live near the CTA blue line. So I would suggest being flexible and look at a number if options. Oak Park has blue line access. You can take a bus down Harlem from northeast River Forest or Riverside to get to the blue line so Oak Park isn't necessarily your only option. Driving in isn't too bad since you are used to a commute. Many of the people I know from LaGrange or Clarendon take Ogden vs the expressways but if you work off hours having an expressway option may open up more options like Elmhurst. Housing stock will be mostly older except for an occasional condo in OP and a couple of townhomes in Riverside. I would not go over 1/3 of your gross (@1500) unless a necessity like heat is included as utilities, commuting, and overall living expenses need to be comfortably covered plus you'll want to be able to enjoy your free time and contribute to what I assume is a good 401k plan. Benefits are so important when you have a family so you are probably making a good decision with the move. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
I think you will likely spend way more than your $3,000 pay increase in increased living costs, so you need to decide if living in a larger city is worth it for you.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
I am pretty sure the UIC has shuttle buses from Union Station. Another alternative: I know someone who commutes from a town 40 miles north, and rides his collapsible bike (the only type allowed on rush hour trains) from Union Station to UIC.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
UIC runs shuttles buses from Union Station and Ogilvie Station to the hospital for $1.50 each way during morning and afternoon commuting hours. Given that the OP is currently DRIVING 90 MINUTES each way, I would think that even a long Metra ride plus a transfer to the UIC shuttle would be an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs