Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Cultural resources are few and some of the NW IN communities are not that welcoming to new entrants. There's a lot of conservative 'politically correctiveness',
You can say that again. I live in Dyer and haven't received the warmest welcome from most of my neighbors in the 11 months since I moved.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
What exactly makes South Holland "not that great"? An earlier poster suggested Highland over South Holland and I know you're a proponent of some towns in the NWI area as well, LIS.

South Holland has a lower crime rate, a higher income level, higher home value than some of the "good" towns in NWI. What makes it not a good place to live?
I read the post about Highland being more dangerous than SH, which doesn't seem accurate to me. I knew some people who had moved to NWI from SH and said they were glad they did as SH had been getting worse (more dangerous, etc) as the time passed. They mentioned having friends who had also left and others who were not happy that they were still there. In general, my take is that many communities on the IL side of the border have worsened over the recent past while those in NWI have gotten more popular.

I'm not sure which good NWI towns SH beats, but I'd place SH above EC/Hammond/Gary and below Munster/SJ/Dyer/S'ville. Considering all factors, I'd still chose comparable NWI towns over SH for the same price.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You can say that again. I live in Dyer and haven't received the warmest welcome from most of my neighbors in the 11 months since I moved.
Why did you move to Dyer? You seemed happy with the IL side of the area.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Why did you move to Dyer? You seemed happy with the IL side of the area.
I loved Lansing, but we had to find a bigger home so that my mother-in-law could move in. Dyer just happened to be where we found the perfect house.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I loved Lansing, but we had to find a bigger home so that my mother-in-law could move in. Dyer just happened to be where we found the perfect house.
Did you prefer Lansing to Dyer?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Did you prefer Lansing to Dyer?
Yes.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 PM

125 posts, read 351,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaB View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by white flight.
Are Oak Forest and/or Oak Brook considered southern suburbs?
I can't live in Indiana and go to a school in Illinois because then I'd always be an out of state resident and that makes the tuition a lot more expensive unfortunately.

You are going to be an out-of-state student anyway, probably. Check the school's policies about residency.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
south holland is pretty nice
I must agree. A family member of mine has a -beautiful- home there. I was so happy for her when she invited us over for the housewarming

Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 AM

212 posts, read 615,285 times
I grew up in Thornton. As far as I know it still isn't a bad place to live. However Dolton and Calumet City to the North aren't that great anymore.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaB View Post
Hi there, I am thinking about moving to Illinois from Tennessee to go to school at South Suburban Community College for court reporting. I'm originally from Indiana so I am somewhat familiar with Illinois and the Chicago area, but it's been years since I've been there. Any info that you could give me on South Holland would be great. I can't seem to find a whole lot about it. Do you know whether SSCC is a good school?

Also, is Northbrook a nice area to live in? I may be working in that area if I do decide to make the move and would possibly live there and commute to South Holland (or does that sound like a crazy idea?).

My biggest concerns are safety, cleanliness, and having ample job opportunities, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Caught your thread way late; don't know if still moving/moved? Oak Forest is middle class suburb. Mostly very nice; maybe one neighborhood not so good.
Commuting to Northbrook would be nightmarish: too far, too much traffic. Chicago has 3rd worse traffic in US.
South Holland is an okay suburb; a quarter of the population has grad'td college; crime is a bit on the higher side (I work in Alsip, 20" to northeast and it has like 250 per 100K people vs 300 for So.. Holland).
Oak Brook is, if lucky 1.25 hours away and 30 miles in distance.
Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs