Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesco View Post
But, we're not talking about the Maine East portion of the district. In Park Ridge, children either attend Maine South or live in the far NW part of town where homeowners have the choice to send their child to Maine South or Maine East without any additional financial burden.

Pesco is dead on. The fact is the tax rate that applies to property in any portion of specific school district is the same.

The single greatest input into how much the actual tax bill is for ANY property within Maine Township High School District 207 is the assessor's valuation of the property. There are creaky old little ranches in all parts of the district that are assessed at a fraction of the value of the brand new teardowns.

I have helped many people to understand the best value for their tax dollar is almost always to get a less expensive home within the higher performing attendance area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
I will call the district offices and pose this question. I personally know people that have had to pay to get out of Maine East. Things have changed since your days as a MTHS Student.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I will call the district offices and pose this question. I personally know people that have had to pay to get out of Maine East. Things have changed since your days as a MTHS Student.
How old are you?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
This was an interesting conversation that got sidetracked in the Maine South/Maine East argument... I know the OP's $200,000 budget was unrealistic, but say we increased that to $300,000? Or the low $300,000s? That would rule out most of the "North Shore" and upper income suburbs, but is a price range that a lot of middle class homeowners might be interested in. Where would you live in the north/northwest suburbs in that price range with decent amenities, good schools, low crime, metra access, reasonable commute times to the Loop, etc?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This was an interesting conversation that got sidetracked in the Maine South/Maine East argument... I know the OP's $200,000 budget was unrealistic, but say we increased that to $300,000? Or the low $300,000s? That would rule out most of the "North Shore" and upper income suburbs, but is a price range that a lot of middle class homeowners might be interested in. Where would you live in the north/northwest suburbs in that price range with decent amenities, good schools, low crime, metra access, reasonable commute times to the Loop, etc?
Without a question I would live in Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect or even Park Ridge if I found a deal.

Even though this is old, if the OP really only wanted to spend that much, going out to Antioch, McHenry, Woodstock etc... would work.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
If you don't mind an older home (built before 1980) that may need some updating, there is a selection of homes listed in Arlington Heights under $400K

Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM

I think Arlignton Heights and Park Ridge are great choices. The only issue I have with Arlington Heights is the long-ish Metra commute. Isn't the express still about 45 minutes? It's a nice town with a lot to offer, though. And it does have some older pre-war homes for people interested in vintage houses, though the split-level ranch seems like the most common housing type there.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 AM

What about places like Des Plaines, Morton Grove, and Palatine? The schools seem to be a notch or two down from Arlington Heights and Park Ridge. But other than that, they are affordable places to live. Des Plaines and Palatine have downtown areas with potential.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Good point. Morton Grove in Parkview and Golf SD are OK and most of Palatine is nice. Des Plaines- not so sure of. I would add sections of Wheeling to the list. What about Buffalo Grove?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Good point. Morton Grove in Parkview and Golf SD are OK and most of Palatine is nice. Des Plaines- not so sure of. I would add sections of Wheeling to the list. What about Buffalo Grove?
I usually don't list towns that may have problems like Wheeling or Des Plaines sometimes because it varies in quality a lot from one area of town to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs