Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 69,047 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New Zealand and dad got a job as an Attorny in chicago so my parents bought a house in lake forest. I've been researching lake forest and I can tell its a rich town but I can't tell what it would be like living there and what school would be like. Can anyone tell me what its like there and also anything important about the USA in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 11:59 PM

Hello? anyone got anything to say???

Old 12-22-2006, 08:49 PM

25 posts, read 148,379 times
Lake Forest is one of Chicago's most affluent suburbs in the elite region to the north known as the North Shore. The suburb is very old money and includes some of the wealthiest and most powerful families in the United States. The area is attractive to high powered executives, business owners, physicians and lawyers. Because the families that live there are well connected many professionals move there sometimes for the sole reason to network. But be careful because the social scene is hard to penetrate and it is hard for outsiders to be accepted espeacially by the old money. Lake Forest is home to two colleges, Lake Forest College and Barat College of Depaul University. The Local high school is Lake Forest Academy and is one of the top schools in the State. Most who graduate usually attend Ivy League. There is a ton of recreation-The Lake, Bike Trails, Forest Preserves and a host of golf courses-the most prestigious being the Onwentsia Club. Lake Forest has a quaint downtown area called Market Square that is home to a number of specialty shops and a Macy's(formerly Marshall Fields). The area is quite beautiful and a wonderful experience if you can afford it and lucky enough to break the social barrier. Hope this helps!

Old 12-24-2006, 02:07 AM

yup that helps thanks i'm a bit more nervous about moving though it sounds nothing like waitakere or anywhere else in NZ. Umm.. i've been researching school in USA and i was wondering i'm 15 can I still get into university over there if i don't have 4 years of american high school education?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 42,817 times
Yes, you can still get into college without four years of American High School. Although, at 15 you are still young enough to transfer into the local high school and get 3-4 years before college, so it should be a non-issue. As an aside, I agree with the given description of Lake Forest, rich, good schools, but a bit snooty.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:08 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
We lived there for awhile and loved it.You get what you give as far as meeting people.Not many folks even WANT to socialize with the boring and near extinct "old blue blood money".Having a huge lake walking distance and nice parks was great.Easy ride to Chicago.Its very clean,some gorgeous homes and a thriving ,charming "downtown".I met some wonderful people there(arent there some nasty snobs just about anywhere thats really nice or upscale?) The schools were great as well.Its a top notch "burb" and I am sure ,with the right attitude and that fabulous accent you will enjoy your new home. .Good luck to you Welcome to Illinois and the USA

Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I knew some people who specifically did not move to LF because of the public schools. These were wealthy attorneys who were collegues of mine. Apparently, the pecking order of the schools is according to what company your dad or mom is the CEO of ... now that's fine if your dad is a CEO, but not good if he or she is merely a COO. The people I know settled in Deerfield and Highland Park because it was a bit more down to earth there.

Don't get me wrong. LF is beautiful!!! But it could be a little scary living there and being an outsider.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteWaltz View Post
Yes, you can still get into college without four years of American High School. Although, at 15 you are still young enough to transfer into the local high school and get 3-4 years before college, so it should be a non-issue. As an aside, I agree with the given description of Lake Forest, rich, good schools, but a bit snooty.
Very difficult place to raise children.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM

50 posts, read 94,427 times
jettsetter provides much misinformation about Lake Forest. For starters, Lake Forest Academy is not the public high school. Most students do not go on to ivy colleges. It's not all hyper-affluent old money, etc.

nannie is much closer to getting Lake Forest right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs