Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,570 times

Advertisements

We have been considering a move to Morton Grove, as my husband works in Wilmette, and we are currently in the NW suburbs and want to be closer.

We have 2 kids, so they would go to Parkview, which is rated 9/10 on greatschools. We can see that it is good--the schools that is.

We are confused about the community. People who live there keep saying that it is a great community, although when we drive around, it seems like there is not much there. The shops look older and a bit run down, the neighborhoods seem older and the houses look older (except for the 800K teardowns) and not always taken care of, etc.

We really think the school looks great, and it is close to work and city, though we really want to know what is wonderful specifically about this area.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
It's close to the city, offers more affordable housing, good schools, nearby forest preserve. Yes, a lot of it is older. I don't think the area appeals to those looking for new build subdivisions.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
It's not Cicero.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbs bound View Post
We have been considering a move to Morton Grove, as my husband works in Wilmette, and we are currently in the NW suburbs and want to be closer.

We have 2 kids, so they would go to Parkview, which is rated 9/10 on greatschools. We can see that it is good--the schools that is.

We are confused about the community. People who live there keep saying that it is a great community, although when we drive around, it seems like there is not much there. The shops look older and a bit run down, the neighborhoods seem older and the houses look older (except for the 800K teardowns) and not always taken care of, etc.

We really think the school looks great, and it is close to work and city, though we really want to know what is wonderful specifically about this area.

Any thoughts?
It is a decent community. But compare it to say, Arlington Heights, and I'll take AH. Why? Hersey and Prospect HS are better than Niles North/West. Elem dist 25 & 23 are as good or better than Parkview. AH library-better. Downtown AH-better. Homes typically have larger lots in AH. Metra-MG served by one line, AH served by one line with a 2nd line nearby The two benefits to Morton Grove are the proximity to the Forest Preserve and it's bike trail & a closer drive to downtown.
Final decision based on what factors are most important to you. By the way, you can drive from my AH neighborhood to MG in 20-30 minutes during rush hour (Lehigh & Dempster to Palatine Rd & Schoenbeck Rd).

Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 PM

42 posts, read 133,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbs bound View Post
You just described my impressions of Park Ridge to a T (aside from Park Ridge having a decent downtown). The suburban housing built in the immediate post-WW2 era just doesn't appeal to me. Tiny uniform houses on tiny uniform lots, with the oddball McMansion built on former teardown properties.

A lot of the closer in burbs are considered "great" because of just that: they are close in. Some people are willing to overlook other shortcomings because of that. Everything's a trade off, right?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 PM

25 posts, read 26,517 times
Morton Grove is a peaceful quiet community extension of Skokie. Minorities in Morton Grove typically speak Korean and drive Lexuses.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalist View Post
Morton Grove is a peaceful quiet community extension of Skokie...
The area that became Morton Grove was settled way before Skokie (formerly Niles Center) was settled. Morton Grove grew much faster than Skokie as well.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
It is an attractive community. And not overrun with industry like Niles. I can understand the desire to move closer to work; there is no good way to get there from the Northwest, and Wilmette itself is cost-prohibitive. Some members of our family live there and have no desire to move. What it sorely lacks, if that is a concern, is night life.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It is an attractive community. And not overrun with industry like Niles...
Niles is "overrun" with industry?

That is news to me.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Niles is "overrun" with industry?

That is news to me.
Niles has it's industrial/warehousing primarily in one section, seperate from residential area. Industry can be good, often it helps keep property taxes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs